antelope decoys

E

Elkcrzy1

Ok I've got my blind set up and the antelope are using the water hole regularly. Heres the question would you antelope gurus tell me if you would use a decoy or not? And do I use a doe or buck decoy? I'll only be hunting mid august when the rut really isn't happening. Also, if you say yes, do you set up the decoy at the water or away from it? in range or not? Gary

Last year I had two decoys out next to my blind near a water tank. Every time the antelope came in to water the decoys made them very uneasy. I eventually shot my antelope but it was only after I removed the decoys. No more decoys at waterholes for me.
ArizonaGriz.

Thank you!! thats what i was wondering. Anybody else have an opinion on this ? Gary

I've used decoys on water before and it brought the bucks in running, and when they got there they were very calm. Just like decoying in the open sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

A friend and I have used a decoy the last 2 years. We're very persistant, or he is about making that damn thing work. However, it has scared more antelope away than you can count. It is a small buck decoy. When a doe and her fawns came into the water whole it only made them uneasy. Just my 2 cents.

I bought a Mel Dutton buck decoy last fall and used it one time. It seemed to spoke off a large bunch of antelope that included one real nice buck. I was set up by a waterhole and saw the herd moving in from real far off. They got about 600 yards away and milled around then took off. Thats the only time I put it out. I do use it when I am sighting in my rifle. I put the decoy right beside my target at 100, 200, and 300 yards. The decoy is supposed to be life size I when I look thru the scope and sight on the target I can see the decoy and get an idea of what an antelope would look like at that distance.

Searchin' for a 15" goat

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom