Antelope hunting near Gillette

Jason102088

Hey all,

first time antelope hunter. Hoping to pick up a leftover tag in the buffalo to gillete WY area. I am planning on hunting antelope before heading the the black hills for mule deer and whitetail. I see that access is somewhat to difficult in most of these areas. I have also read some older forum comments on some of these units. Can anyone give me some advice as to cheap places to stay, hotels,campgrounds? A good butcher shop that is able to freeze meat? And any relative locations to concentrate around and look for speed goats. I dont mind hiking in off the roads and actually prefer it. Could consider paying a small tresspass access fee if anyone has some recent exsperience in that area. Again never huntes antelope before, just looking to get pointed in the right direction. Anything helps.

Thanks Jason

Jason, You had better be quick on the leftover tags when they go on sale. Even for those areas they go WAY quicker than they used to. As you've noted the biggest issue is access. The limited public ground in those units will get pounded and most of the Antelope will be gone by noon opening day. Trespass fee hunts are pretty popular which means they aren't easy to find and have gotten much more expensive. $500 + seems to be the going rate. I'd use your imagination to call people to look for a trespass hunt - local taxidermists, Ag agents, warden, etc, etc...There are a variety of lodging options in both Gillette and Buffalo that you can Google. I've stayed at Z Bar cabins in Buffalo several times. Not fancy but clean and reasonable. Bighorn Meats in Buffalo does a nice job. Good Luck. Chip

Jason, You had better be quick on the leftover tags when they go on sale. Even for those areas they go WAY quicker than they used to. As you've noted the biggest issue is access. The limited public ground in those units will get pounded and most of the Antelope will be gone by noon opening day. Trespass fee hunts are pretty popular which means they aren't easy to find and have gotten much more expensive. $500 + seems to be the going rate. I'd use your imagination to call people to look for a trespass hunt - local taxidermists, Ag agents, warden, etc, etc...There are a variety of lodging options in both Gillette and Buffalo that you can Google. I've stayed at Z Bar cabins in Buffalo several times. Not fancy but clean and reasonable. Bighorn Meats in Buffalo does a nice job. Good Luck. Chip
Thank you Chip I appreciate the help. I would be coming in the third or 4th week of the season. Not as many goats but prob not many hunters. Have you hunted public land in that area without using a tresspass fee? South of the highway north?

I hunted private in unit 23 and killed a decent 13 inch buck about 8 years ago. I hunted public (beginning about the 4th day of the season after I killed my Elk) in 102 a couple of years ago and never filled my tag. I hunted both north and south of the highway for 3 days. I had one chance at a 6 inch buck that I passed on. There were VERY few Antelope on public and the ones that were were mostly on the run. Good Luck

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom