Antelope Island Buffalo

300Win

I was lucky enough to be drawn for an Antelope Island Buffalo management hunt this year. I got the call the first of October and hunted December 9. What a fun experience. I ended up shooting a 14 year old bull that net green scores 124 4/8 Boone and Crockett. He will be number 6 in Utah if he doesn't shrink to much. I think I was lucky to get the management tag instead of the trophy.
702277107feb85c6d44e289d6f8dff2f6a2cb.jpeg

6469515b6aed8dc314d1182c488c15a4a1292.jpeg

57962baf13cd350e24083be59db56c9e69ef2.jpeg

Good job congratulations. So tell me what's the difference between a management tag and a trophy tag Rutnbuck

Good job congratulations. So tell
>me what's the difference between
>a management tag and a
>trophy tag Rutnbuck

x2....or better yet...what is the difference between a management booner and a trophy booner???

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-19 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]They only gave out 2 any bull tags this year. They later decided to harvest 5 management bulls which are 10 years or older and no longer contribute to the herd and have broomed off horns. I was fortunate enough to shoot a 14 year old that has super heavy horns and still made B&C even though he has probably broomed off about 4 ? of horn on each side. My bull is a trophy bull just really old and fell into the management category. Lucky for me. It would be interesting to see how the other bulls scored for comparison.

that's comical....utards are just interested in selling more tags.....soon there will be management sheep tags....10 year old plus..wow

YOU hit the jack pot.....a 14 year old is as trophy as it gets....regardless of score

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I used a 300 Winchester,180 grain bullets. I shot him right behind the ear and it dropped him instantly

Very cool!! Lots burgers and steaks right there!!!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

He's a beauty! I love the ugly ones! I shot a 16yr old bull with one horn broomed down this fall in Alaska. These old dinosaurs are kings!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-19 AT 07:50PM (MST)[p]It is the neck shot. I hit the first vertebrae attached to the skull.
3569977eb3ed0711544cc89b77ab507fea628.jpeg

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-19
>AT 07:50?PM (MST)

>
>It is the neck shot. I
>hit the first vertebrae attached
>to the skull.
3569977eb3ed0711544cc89b77ab507fea628.jpeg

Nicely done! Thank you!

I was going to shoot for a heart shot at first but we got to 80 yards away and the biologist asked me to try the neck shot because it's an instant kill. I had done my research on it and I had a good rock to rest on so I felt comfortable taking the shot. I had read that the old market hunters would shoot them there because it wouldn't spook the rest of the herd and they could continue shooting more so I was kind of intrigued with the shot anyway. It was nice also because you don't damage any of the meat. I wouldn't have took it though if it would have been farther away and in a less then perfect condition.

Make sense, for sure being that close and a good rest.

I thought maybe it was you that wanted to use the .500 cal pistol but I see that is wasn't you after all.

congrats again

Robb

Congratulations on a tremendous bull. How have the steaks been on an animal that big. Not throwing shade, just wondering how the meat compares to what you get in restaurants or butcher shops. I’ve never shot a buffalo so I have no idea.

Congratulations on a tremendous bull. How have the steaks been on an animal that big. Not throwing shade, just wondering how the meat compares to what you get in restaurants or butcher shops. I’ve never shot a buffalo so I have no idea.
The flavor is excellent. Pretty much the whole buffalo needed to be burger because of it age. Keep some of the better cuts as steaks but they are tough as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom