antelope Island

I don't understand why they would worry and spend the resources on an island where there is no pressure, plenty of food. Spend it somewhere else. Maybe this is just a publicity thing but it would be better to do it with general hunting unit, that actually need the testing

>I don't understand why they would
>worry and spend the resources
>on an island where there
>is no pressure, plenty of
>food. Spend it somewhere
>else. Maybe this is
>just a publicity thing but
>it would be better to
>do it with general hunting
>unit, that actually need the
>testing

Bullseye!?

Antelope Island is flush with money to study and analyze its deer due to the purchase tag every year. If I understand it correctly, the arrangement that was made with the state park to even allow the hunting was that almost all the money (I think 90%?) from the purchase of the tag stays directly on the Island.

You can't take that money and go do something on the Manti, or Cache unit, for example.

I may not understand all the details perfectly, but I believe that is the case and that almost all the money from the auction is retained for work on the Island and nowhere else.

I think Vanilla numbers are right, but I don't think the money is used for animals directly, I believe it's to cover operation(which it covers without the tag). I'm pretty sure that was the sale job Peay did, "it would save the Island".

It's a relatively homogenous population. A few come and go, but I'd assume it makes controls and variability easier.

It's got to be easier for choppers, easier to find dead with collars, easier to catch as well.

The more DWR has in data, the better it is for tgecstates herds.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>Antelope Island is flush with money
>to study and analyze its
>deer due to the purchase
>tag every year. If I
>understand it correctly, the arrangement
>that was made with the
>state park to even allow
>the hunting was that almost
>all the money (I think
>90%?) from the purchase of
>the tag stays directly on
>the Island.
>
>You can't take that money and
>go do something on the
>Manti, or Cache unit, for
>example.
>
>I may not understand all the
>details perfectly, but I believe
>that is the case and
>that almost all the money
>from the auction is retained
>for work on the Island
>and nowhere else.

Sounds spot on to me.
AI is it's own entity, as are it's funding.

Yes, the money the state park receives from the auction tag is not required to be spent only on deer or the animals. It is for the state park to utilize to benefit the state park. That has a lot of different layers and means a lot of different things.

I spent about 4 hours out there watching the process. While waiting for the chopper to bring in more deer there was plenty of time for the news people and public to ask questions of the biologist and other helpers It was pretty informative.

One item one of the DWR employees mentioned was this was one of
I believe seven units that they would be tagging and placing GPS collars on deer, antelope and sheep.

They also prefer to have colder temps and a little snow to reduce the stress and bunch up the animals a little.

The guys in the chopper are from South Africa and do this year around. Pretty amazing to watch.

In response to muledeer?s question about why involve the island deer with no pressure. It could give you a good baseline as to how much, or how little, a deer population and individual deer move with no real human pressure. And particularly no real hunting pressure. Seems like a good idea to me so that you can see where an animal goes if we weren't really there too much. Just my .02

This fence is a start if you're wanting to reintroduce and protect bighorns out there. It won't guarantee spreading of the pathogen, but it's a preventative factor.

That's the cost of one deer tag out there. No biggie.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom