Antelope Mounts

BuckshotBenny

Hello all,

I was hoping some of you may have some experience with Antelope mounts. I just picked mine and my buddies mounts up this morning and it seems the hair just falls out with a light swipe like petting a dog. Is this normal. Mine isn't so bad but my buddies is really shedding.

The taxidermist said that since antelope have hollow hair, it's not unusual for hair to fall out pretty easy but did agree that my buddies was excessive.

Any advice?

I have 6 in the trophy room none of them shed hair at all your taxi didn't tan them correctly or you let them get too hot after killing them and the hair began to slip.

Antelope hair is tough to work with for a taxidermist because it's both extremely brittle, and it falls out quite easily. In the antelope I've mounted, I would say running a brush through the hair would generally make about a handful of hairs fall out.

It sounds like your buddy's goat is worse than that, so maybe it was killed at a different time of the year than yours, or tanned differently. But I would say a fair bit of shedding--far more than deer, elk, etc--is not unusual. Just try to be extra gentle handling it, and don't touch it much once it's on the wall.

Either way, a bummer for your buddy, hope it doesn't end up shedding so much it ruins the mount. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom