Antelope #'s down?

stinky

I was hunting this past weekend in the Hayden area (between Craig and Steamboat). I was driving around in the Breezy Basin area and saw very few antelope, and few groups over 10. It seemed like the numbers were way down. Off the 20 Mile Road, I didn't see any herds, or solos, for that matter. I have seen good numbers in those areas before.

Are antelope numbers down, or was I just not seeing them?

Yes. We've been in 3/301 and numbers are crazy low. Not one group of antelope over 6 in a group. 12 inch bucks are the best we've seen. We did notice yearlings are larger than normal though. Numbers are dismally low from previous years. We have found large numbers of skeletons while walking around. Sad deal.

Yes. We've been in 3/301 and numbers are crazy low. Not one group of antelope over 6 in a group. 12 inch bucks are the best we've seen. We did notice yearlings are larger than normal though. Numbers are dismally low from previous years. We have found large numbers of skeletons while walking around. Sad deal.
What do you think hurt the antelope numbers?

I had a 3/301 tag last year. Spent 5 days up there. I would agree that numbers and quality are way down from what it was historically.

I’ll agree the numbers are down in 3/301. But there’s still quite a few there. I’ve been up there for the last two weekends hunting private land. And we saw groups of 30 and 40 at a time. Especially two weeks ago when they were rutting. So they are there they just like hiding on private land. Mostly on land that fire burned out a few years ago. They like to sit in that open ground where they can see for a long ways. But mainly there’s a lot of Ranching for a wildlife in 3/301. And some of them ranches up there are huge. And pretty much all the private ranches up there and the Ranching for Wildlife have lots of water. So they are not coming off unless somebody pushes them. And I noticed when they do get pushed they just circle around and go right back in the private land and Ranching for Wildlife. They’re not stupid they know where they’re safe. I didn’t see very many on public land at all.

Last edited:
I’ll agree the numbers are down in 3/301. But there’s still quite a few there. I’ve been up there for the last two weekends hunting private land. And we saw groups of 30 and 40 at a time. Especially two weeks ago when they were rutting. So they are there they just like hiding on private land. Mostly on land that fire burned out a few years ago. They like to sit in that open ground where they can see for a long ways. But mainly there’s a lot of Ranching for a wildlife in 3/301. And some of them ranches up there are huge. And pretty much all the private ranches up there and the Ranching for Wildlife have lots of water. So they are not coming off unless somebody pushes them. And I noticed when they do get pushed are they just lcircle around and go right back in the private land and Ranching for Wildlife. They’re not stupid they know where they’re safe. I didn’t see very many on public land at all.
See any decent deer in there this year?

I hunted 3/301 for deer on the 6 and 7 road in 2010, I saw multiple antelope herds from 40-100 animals daily.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom