Antelope Shank Adobado

Outdoordan

Very Active Member
Adobo from scratch, this year's antelope shanks. Yum, the best ever.
20210820_175735.jpg

Oh man, my wife just fell in love again. I might even get some desert tonight. ;) My wife is Mexican and this is how I get her to like me again.

OK, so I did this last fall with mine and my daughters Coues bucks. I stole the recipe from Mr. Rinella (thanks Meateater). With some changes. The key, is going to one of those traditional Mexican stores and buying the Chile's that are dried and come in those clear packs, you'll find lots, and there is no right or wrong, but use the Passila-Ancho and Guajilla's or in my case I used Chile negro as well. To put some kick in it you can use Chile Arbol, but sparingly. Again they are dried Chiles.
71ZWxNeFZSL._SL1500_.jpg

20210820_191540.jpg

Next, take those, place in pan on stove and heat them up liberally until they "blister" or puff up. Then put those in water in a bowl and set aside. Grab your shank, er umm, the shanks from your deer, elk, antelope, or whatever, and throw some salt and pepper, or in my case I always like using some lowry's and pepper on your shanks. Braise the shanks in olive oil and then set aside. I like to go back to the Chiles and move them around, they need to soften and you will see the water start to "stain" brown. When they are good and soft, pull them apart and put in blender with:
Chipotle
Garlic
Salt
Oregano (I don't use too much)
Coriander (we were out so I skipped)
Cinnamon
Cloves (we didn't have this either)
Vinegar
Honey
A half cup of the "broth" from the Chiles you blistered

You're first reaction is "how much", I use my gut for this as I HATE following recipes exactly. You want about a half a blender full, and obviously don't exaggerate the Cinnamon, Coriander, Oregano, Vinegar (use about a quarter cup) more of the honey.

I was actually cutting up my Antelope (I usually cut up my own game animals cause I waste less and use the bones and meat scraps most of the butchers will toss out to feed my dog). I had all the leg bones on the stove in pot of water and I used some of this broth as well in my blender, but disregard if you don't want.

After the braising of the shank, throw a little more oil in and cook some diced onions (1-2 onions worth) in the pan. I don't clean the pan after braising the shank because I think the stuff in the pan adds to the taste.

Put shanks and onions in the Crock Pot, pour the blended Adobada you made on top, set to 6-8 hours, and in my case clean the kitchen and go to bed. I always love waking up to the smell of the "Crock Pot Crack" in the morning. It's like Christmas day. :) Enjoy with some rice, or in a tortilla with or without some Avocado.

I buy most of my chiles like that online. I have a cabinet full of different ones right now, plus some of the smaller, hotter peppers. About the only peppers I get fresh are jalapenos & pablanos.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom