antelope shed

oldoregon

Very Active Member
i got his uncle who has been hunting antelope for years, and is convinced that the don't shed. He says he has never found a shed horn, and has never seen an antelope with it's horn's gone. anyone out there who can prove him wrong?

Yep they shed alright.I can't give you any facts but I have heard that they deteriate fast,that may be why your buddy hasn't found any.

You've probaly heard this before, but here goes. Antelope horns are true horns in that they are made of protein. Conversly, antlers are made of true bone (calcium, carbonate, etc.). So, yes, protein horns deteriate much faster. They also smell stronger and attract coyotes, rodents, etc. They usually won't last the year, let alone years like a antler.

00hoofline.gif

Kidneystone IS RIGHT

ANTELOPE SHED JUST THE SHELL AND THEM BUCKS SURE LOOK FUNNY RUNNING AROUND WITH WHITE INNER HORNS STICKING UP OFF THEIR HEAD!!!

YOU'VE GOT TO BE QUICK TO BEAT A COYOTE OR A FOX TO THE SHED SHELL,ONE MORE REASON TO SHOOT THEM DOGS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WANTING ANOTHER PRONGHORN TAG!!!

Yes, they shed. I have two of them in my garage to prove it. They shrivel up pretty fast in the AZ sun.

I went with friends on a Jr only 'lope hunt in early October. After the Jr shot the buck, we went to lift it up. One of the horns (sheaths) came off in his hand. This buck had 10 does with him but, was ready to shed.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-03 AT 08:15AM (MST)[p]Here's a pronghorn shed from Montana.

Pronghorn.jpg

They're hollow inside so they don't last too long out in the elements. They also have a pretty strong smell, so it's no surprise they get chewed up by dogs.

Thats an excellent point about them being hollow and therefore breaking down faster. I can't believe that never dawned on me. They probably fill full of rain and snow, etc.

00hoofline.gif

Bowhuntinmaniac, although the horn came off in his hand, it likely wasnt ready to shed. Back when I took my hunters course, the instructor explicitly told us not to hold up or drag an antelope by its horns because they will usually pull right out. Im not sure if its because thier horns are weak or if its some kind of survival feature, but they will pull out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom