Antelope Sheds

B

Bura Nut

I was up in Unit 1 AZ this weekend and actually set out to find a shed, never having done this for antelope before. I found a good herd with approximately 15 bucks that all but two had already dropped their horns. Anyway, I did find one 15" shed that looks like the buck would score around 75 with both horns. This was neat to actually go out specifically for a shed and actually find one. How long do antelope sheaths typically last before they disinigrate???? Thanks, Allen......

I'am relly not sure, thats a good question. I always run across them but never keep them. I have come across some very impressive goat sheds i would have kept but were badly decomposed.

later, MM

antelope sheds stink! LOL. I have quite a few of them and i think it takes only a couple months before they start to go soft, and its wierd how they turn kinda red. A good place to find them and im not joking is on dirt roads, because the ground is really hard so its easy for the antelope to knock them off. So far this winter we have found 1 like that and i've probably found 10 or while driving. They are hard to find though, and are a good treasure, if they wouldn't stink lol.

I would have to agree that they only last about 4 months before they start to go bad. I used to find quite a few, I found some of them around salt licks for cattle but, most of them along fence lines. I have seen a lot of bucks that hook the wire with their horns to get under it, and it makes sence that the horns would get nocked off when they do this. My parnets have two differnt heards of antelope that live on and near their property, and I used to watch them alot, they usually duck under a fence only in certain spots. That would be the first place that I would look for the sheaths.

Good luck if you go out looking for more!

Ivan

I had no idea where to start looking, so I walked the fence line for awhile, then thought about the bushes/pinyon junipers that maybe the bucks would rub their heads on if the sheaths maybe itched or whatever. Anyway, the one and only shed I found was right under the pinyon bush. I wonder if I spray shelaque sp? or something on it, then the stinking process may not start? Thanks guys,,....... Allen Taylor......

I've got a few descent loper sheds laying in the back yard garden. They've been there for 2 years and still holding together fairly well but just starting to show a little wear. I don't think they smell, but its hard to tell when the neighborhood cats use the place as their toilet....but they sure are good target practice.

Bura Nut,

I am a taxidermist in good goat country, eastern NM. Get some borax, available in laundry aile. Wash the shed out with soapy water. Fill the shed with borax and let it set for a few weeks. The borax will remove most if not all of the foul smell. You can use boiled linseed oil to bring back good color. Hope this helps you.

elk4you

Elk4you: Thanks for the great tip. This shed I have doesnt stink too bad, but the borax will be an easy fix.....Thanks again, Allen Taylor......

PotatoWhisperer,

Sorry for the delay in my response, been out of town for the holidays. I am in Portales. I'm hoping to get a good muley in a few days, and maybe try for some canada geese along the front range in northern CO.(I have in-laws in Greeley)

I'm pretty new to MM, but enjoy it greatly. There is alot of good advice to be heard. Where are you located at?

Joshua

elk4you-

I'm in Phoenix. MM is a great site. I've been on here for 3 years now. WOW!

I'm heading over to NM next week as well to try my luck at archery deer. It's a great excuse to get out for a few days and hunt. We have the saem hunt here in AZ in Jan, but if I tag a deer in Jan I can't put in for the rifle hunts in the fall. 1 deer per year. So I thought I'd try over there. I'll be over by Silver City! Good luck and look foward to talking with you more!

Scott G.

PotatoWhisperer,

Hope you have good luck around Silver City. You could get lucky and find some coues deer. Your tag is good for 1 buck, coues or muley.

I'll be hunting around Portales. I have access to a lot of private ranches. Hoping to even the score for mistakes made in September. (My release malfunctioned twice on a nice nontypical) I'm going to try a decoy because our bucks are starting to rut. Hope to have some good pics to share with evertone here. If not, I'm sure I'll have some good stories. Talk to you later.

Joshua

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom