Antelope Trespass Fees?

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
Hello,
I'm hoping to come to Wyoming this year to hunt antelope and like most working guys am on somewhat of a budget. I've picked a couple of units that have some BLM/public land that is huntable, but will also be checking into trespass options. These are generally 100% draw units, not really trophy but just good hunting for average antelope from what I have been told.

My question is what can I expect to pay for a trespass fee. I know thats tough because I'm sure it depends on size of ranch and quality of goats, but in general what is a reasonable amount to pay?
Thanks for your input.

Ranchers fees very alot,from 0- ???.. Why not just hunt public land for antelope? There all over public land open to every one !

You can find good opportunity on ranches for $100. Talk with BLM guys, wardens, etc let them know your budget and ask for suggestions. Most of these guys are great to work with.

Picture me blinking a lot at that. Most of the prices I heard around Douglas were around 10 times that. I would jump on a hundred bucks trespass fee in a heart beat on a few places near the Grasslands that I hunt. I need to break out my phone book for the area and make some calls I guess.

Do you find that trespass fees are about the same for mule deer, or are they more or less expensive?

Thanks for the info.
Rem308 - I'm hoping to be able to hunt the public land that is available but I guess I want to have a plan "B" in case there aren't any decent goats on the public. I know its different in Wyoming than my home state of Oregon where a good unit wouldn't even be as good as one of your bad units. Its just hard to think that there are that many antelope over there - I sure hope so though.
Thanks

Antelope in eastern/northeastern WY are like geese here in OH. The div. of wildlife here call geese "sky carp" there are that many. When I take someone there they look for antelope from mid Neb. on and after a day or so of hunting they get to the " Oh yea there is another bunch of goats" state. It isn't hard to find goats, it's hard to find a good one and then get set up for a shot before something happens to blow them out of the area, like someone driving along in the middle of no where in a truck :-( and jumping out to start shooting at them. There is the real rub!

Ok, so it looks like maybe $100 to say $400 might be a good deal of its a decent ranch. I did actually get a list of land owners from the Sheridan office, but before I started calling names I wanted to know what was to be expected and what might be BS.
Thanks all

I wouldn't pay more than $100! Antelope are pests to the ranchers and want a little money and the coupon on your tag. DON'T PAY MORE THAN THAT OR YOU'RE GETTING SCREWED! Unless you draw a kick-ass area the quality of goats will generally be the same. You're not going to see 16" goats on private and then go to public and only see 12" goats. You may see as many shooter bucks on public that you do on private. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Steve

Before you agree to hunt on someones property, ask how many hunters will be on the ranch the same time you are. Some ranchers will get as many hunters as possible and your hunt will suck!! Ever try to chase a spooked goat? It SUCKS!!

Wis makes some good points. Despite the fact that you're on private the bucks won't necessarily be larger. The private often gets hunted as hard as the public and in the easy draw units you better shoot a 12- 13 incher if you want to go home with a goat. In my experience in eastern Wyoming if you wait 'till the second week of the season you can get on a lot of private ground just for the asking. You could get on 90 % in units 7, 8, etc... for $100. Good luck. C.C.

Droptine, Deer tresspass fee are usually A LOT more than antelope. Even in the easy to draw, open range, spindly little 18 inch 3 point units you're looking at $500 easy on most ranches. GOOD LUCK. C.C.

Thanks for the info. Looks like good old fashioned hard work on public land may be the way to go.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-08 AT 06:24PM (MST)[p]I have hunted some good ranchs in the past,but now days I only hunt public land and have been very successful.

First let me say if you are planning on hunting public land , DO Not apply for an area that has small portions of public land here and there as you will be very disapointed as the pressure gets concentrated in these areas by people who have no where else to hunt. If your hunting public lands only, apply for an area that is predominately public land where the pressure is thinned out and you can get back where the goats haven't been terroized by every tom, ##### & harry.

Second, the ranchers are well informed now, Pronghorns are not looked at as a nuisance anymore but as a valuable commodity. They are charging handsome fee's for access to good pronghorn hunting. The days of $50-100.00 trespass fee's for quailty goat hunting are all but non-existent now. As any place with quality animals is usually leased up by Outfitters paying handsome fee's.

If you find $100.00 fee's your probably getting scammed and paying to hunt on lands that are public access to begin with.

I suppose you are right, HunterScout, that pronghorns may not be as much as a nuisance now that more peole are hunting them. However, many ranchers have not sold out to outfitters due to the fact that they DON'T WANT TO SELL OUT TO OUTFITTERS. A lot of ranchers I've talked to want full control of who is on their ranch at all times. THEY control who comes and goes on their property. The ranch that I hunt near Alcova has a lot of goats. Definately not a trophy area but my Dad take a 15 incher off it a few years ago. The owner has been hit up numerous times by an outfitter that has a ranch just a couple of miles away. He still refuses to sell out even though he'd have more revenue from allowing the outfitter to have hunters on it. I think it just depends on who you talk to.

Steve

As in everything else in todays world, decisions come down to liability. General Liability insurance for ranching operations do not cover hunting operations. Any landowner allowing hunting on their property whether they are charging or not are opening themselves to a multi million dollar law suit if a bullet strays where it shouldn't or a fire is started and migrates to adjacent lands.

Outfitters are fully insured for these activities and therefore are getting the nod in more and more areas. The landowner gets paid handsomely, the outfitter bears liability and the headaches. It's a win win situation for the landowner.

Well, I was going to hunt antelope on unit 20 or 21. I called about a dozen ranchers that are on the list you get from the Sheridan office of Fish & Game. Seems the going price - at least for that area is $250 per gun - for 3 days of hunting. One guy wanted $250 for 1 day of hunting. Problem was I guess I waited too long since most had filled up. Did find a unit near those to hunt that has some OK amount of BLM, this per the help of Dan the bio out of Sheridan who has given me lots of help. Much appreciate the local game folks as they are much bettet to talk to than our Oregon F&G.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom