Antelope unit 11

rmanwill

Long Time Member
I will be hunting in unit 11 for antelope in October. I may end up in the Tampa valley trail, Thornburg draw and Bitter brush state park area with everyone else.

However, I'm looking at the northern part of the unit, north of the river - Peak mesa area and the travel restricted area of Cross Mtn or the south eastern part of the unit where the river separates this unit from unit 10. I hate private checker board
area and would like to avoid the mass population of the hunters. I know south has way less antelope population, but less hunters and a few pockets of antelope that are not runnin at the sight of a vehicle is nice.

I'm I high or is the plan a good one. Can hold out until after the first weekend and most of the hunters leave. Any information from those familiar with the unit would be appreciated. I can help with some areas in Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho and Utah for deer, elk and antelope. Thanks in advance. PM or PM me and I can call you or give you m phone number to talk.

I like it! Bitterbrush definitely gets most of the pressure, so looking around in places that are not as popular is a great idea! I've been seeing goats in some weird places that they never used to be. Lot of room in the south west end of the unit too, just not as many goats. The unit is not what it once was but it should be fun!

Ya, elk and deer is the main Colorado hunts. But back in the day, it only cost a $3.00 fee to get points. With limited antelope I'm Colorado it takes mom residents a bunch of points. Just continued to build points for my boys and myself. This is the last of us with antelope points. That saves me $120.00 a year at $30.00 a person for points. Now I can spend all money and time in colorado on elk and deer.

Peck Mesa is small and the travel restricted portion of cross mountain is not that great. There will be goats in both areas. I have see some Dianna good goats in crooked wash thournbourg etc. be careful if you go out into the "basin" north of thournburg and crooked wash. Lots of good ground but it is very poorly
Marked. Make sure you have a great GPS and map chip.

Another spot to look at that is often over looked is the county road to the dump. I forget the county road number but it is just west of the intersection of county road 5 and the highway.

Also be sure to check out the sage flats below Sceenery Gultch and Tuschudi Gultch. They have good potential at times.

Lastly there is a huge flat that can sometimes have goats. It is the Indian Valley walk in area. It usually has a couple goats.

Good luck. Oh and if it rains hard watch the creek crossings especially crooked wash. I have seen it over my headlights on my 82 blazer with 8" and 36" tires.

Thanks for your knowledge Rob. It will be a great hunt with my son. No river crossings for me if the water is flowing like you have seen it after a storm?

May I ask how our hunt went? I have enough points to draw an 11 tag this year. Did you see any trophy Antelope?
Thank you

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom