Antelope unit 53

Moose332

Just wondering what you guys think of this hunt? looking to burn my points in the Special draw as a NR, I can draw it but just curious on what to expect. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Hunt as late as possible, the antelope migrate in with weather. Hold out for a big one. You can hunt early as there are many resident pronghorn, but with time there gets to be significantly more. It is an easy hunt if you just want to shoot a lope, it can get challenging if you are looking for 80+, but very likely with a little patience you can find a very solid buck.

It is an easy hunt and as long as you can shoot 200 yards you are good to go.

Hunted around that area last year. Good numbers of resident antelope but more drift in as the season progresses as elks indicated. Seen one buck that was a solid 16-incher that would have been in the 80" class with most bucks around 14". Near area and should make a fun hunt for ya.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I'm considering area 53 antelope for '19. I see you said hunt later in season as more antelope drift into the area. How much later in season-- early Oct maybe ? Are they coming in from the west into the huge BLM areas ? I've never hunted that area before. I hunted 57 one time many years ago before the huge gas boom hit like a monster storm ! The year was '81 & wow was that remote & fun & wild ! Would appreciate all assistance ! Thanks so much !
Jerry Gold
307-772-1623-- Text/Cell
E Mail : [email protected]

62 type 1 and type 2 may be worth a look, some big bucks come from both. I've hunted both units with a friend and he took a low 80's buck after sorting through a bunch.

It was kind of a "down" year, but still a lot of bucks to look at. My friend also had to cut his hunt short due to some family issues.

I was in Baggs early in the season last year. Couple guys from Utah had spent "about a week" combing through smaller bucks, but ended up with a good one. This was at the bar in town, so take it with a grain of salt...

I have a feeling they lost a lot of animals this past winter. As bad as winter as I've seen. Maybe not as bad as 2008 but damn close.

py

Thanks for your observations ! I'm trying to decide if I wan to try for a tag in 52-1, then 53 for a relative who's looking to me to assist him. It sounds like last winter the antelope likely took some big hits to the older & younger ones.
Would you feel it best to pass this year on trying for a draw in both or either of those units ? I hunted 52-1 some years ago staying in Saratoga for a week. Lots of antelope then. I'd use a 21 ft Pull Trailer this time around for that same type hunt. On 53, likely motel in Baggs & maybe hunt later, due to weather.
Your best guess would be very appreciated on both those units . I had not heard of big loses before your post. I haven't been able to yet speak to the Wildlife Bio in Saratoga. A lady named Teal.
Thanks very much,!
Jerry Gold
E M: [email protected]
Text: cell: 307-772-1623

Best of luck on 53 draw-- just talked to Kim Olson W Bio for Baggs-- she said only average winter kill in both 52/53, just maybe a bit above average in 53, but prospects look good for fall. So you are good to go if you can draw the permit !
I may try 52 since it is a decent area too & I have a better chance of draw.
Good Luck !
Jerry Gold

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom