Antelope units 11 or 2,201

UINTBB

Hello,
I have enough points to draw either one of these units for Antelope. 21 NR points and would like to make the most of the hunt and would appreciate any thoughts of those that have experience in these units. I will look for a nice goat but the overall experience is more important.
Thank you beforehand.

Probably not unless you go to some of the low antelope density areas of the unit which is where a guy might find a big buck with a few does. Majority of people will hunt the 2/201 line north of Irish Canyon to the Wyoming state line where the majority of antelope are. At least that’s what I witnessed both times I’ve been part of antelope hunts up there.
2/201. Ya won't likely see another antelope hunter the entire season. Area will be pretty much all to yourself.

Probably not unless you go to some of the low antelope density areas of the unit which is where a guy might find a big buck with a few does. Majority of people will hunt the 2/201 line north of Irish Canyon to the Wyoming state line where the majority of antelope are. At least that’s what I witnessed both times I’ve been part of antelope hunts up there.

Thank you.
Let me ask you a couple of questions. How is the hunter density north of Irish Canyon? Is there a small town nearby with a motel or is it an area for camping? Most appreciative.

It’s nothing over whelming by any means but there will be others hunting that general area with tags of course. As far as towns go you are truly in BFE. Browns park store is about it and they haven’t had fuel there in years. Closet towns to you is Rock Springs or Maybell which are both a pretty good drive away. If you hunt 2/201 you better camp there and you better bring plenty of fuel. It’s not a good feeling when the truck starts dipping below 1/4 tank in that country....

Last edited:
What are the winter conditions in 2 or 201 right now. I heard there is going to be some die off this winter between Evanston Wyo. and Graig Colo.

What are the winter conditions in 2 or 201 right now. I heard there is going to be some die off this winter between Evanston Wyo. and Graig Colo.

Normal winter no big die offs expected in NW CO other than those 6-7 wolves. Snow is melting fast and starting to see some green grass in spots!

I spent 17 days in unit 2 in 2018 and saw quite a few pronghorn, but not a single big buck. Lots of 12-13.5 inch pronghorn. Here are a couple of the larger models I saw.

Hard to believe it took 21 pts in 2019 for a NR (20 pts for residents) to draw the 201/2 tag! You can hunt WY every year or two for chances a bucks a lot bigger.

EK000350.JPG

EK002817.JPG

Last edited:
I spent 17 days in unit 2 in 2018 and saw quite a few pronghorn, but not a single big buck. Lots of 12-13.5 inch pronghorn. Here are a couple of the larger models I saw.

Hard to believe it took 21 pts in 2019 for a NR (20 pts for residents) to draw the 201/2 tag! You can hunt WY every year or two for chances a bucks a lot bigger.
I have seen maybe one buck in unit 2/201 in the last 8 years that I would say would push the 80in mark. Luckily for him he sat on the Wyoming side of Hiawatha road the entire rifle season back in 2012 when my dad had the tag.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and advice. Hard to believe that it would take that many points to draw an antelope tag. I have waited for big bucks to become available and now i am probably just going to hunt. The point creep throughout the western states have crippled opportunities for so many. I drew a unit 61 elk tag in 2000 with 6 points as a N/R. look at it now.
Good luck to all this year.
Thanks again

I hunted Unit 2 for deer last fall and paid attention to the Antelope as I have 21 NR points as well. My thought was I would apply this year to hunt lope there but my schedule isn't going to allow it. If you decide to go to Unit 2 I will share with you what I learned while deer hunting there. Good luck in the draws this year!

Spent over 60 days in 2 last year and mostly all in the sage flats etc. Not one buck antelope pushing 80. 73-75 was the biggest and he was in the Patch right off the Road from Irish Canyon to Rock Springs. Very NW Corner of the Unit. None of the units listed are worth a damn for lope. I would be looking in the exact opposite corner of the state if it were me...

I had the tag in 2018. Only hunted one day but I didn't see any big bucks. I did see a 16" buck in 2016 when helping my dad with his bull tag though.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom