Antelope

coryb

Who out there has hunted antelope with your kids? After 12 years of applying i drew my first goat tag and will be taking my hunting partner, my 5 year old son. He's seen tons of birds hit the ground as well as some turkeys and he was with me at 3 years old when i missed a small buck at 42 yards with my bow (talk about a choke). Im looking for strategies used succuessfully to get close with a little one. The boy is a trooper and can hike better than he can sit still (like me). This winter he walked miles carrying his red rider with me chasing desert quail. I've been thinking about buying one of those moo cow blinds to use to walk up. Any good or bad reviews on those? Any other ideas? Just FYI, i shoot well to beyond 200 yards and can make it happen closer to 300 given great conditions and plenty of time/good rest, etc.

Thanks,

Cory

I hunt all the time with my kids. It is a hoot. As long as you can shoot 300 yards. One son was 4 on his first antelope hunt. Now elk hunting doesn't work so well with young kids.

Good luck on your hunt

Hey Cory my daughter drew an antelope hunt last year and we took our secret weapon. We used a Zebu Cow decoy. Do a search and you can find it on the Internet or you could grab any cow decoy that is large enough to cover you and your son. We had an antelope walk into us and it ended up bedding about 250yds from us. Saw us the whole time and not once did it think of running.

Mine when he was 7-years old.

His when he turned 12. Just remember they get bored easy and can't go as hard as we can.

Wish I had them back young again.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom