Antelope

Cowboy 101- Hope this might help you decide. With 7 points a good unit to consider would be 106 just outside Jeffrey City, or what's left of it. Reasons: lots of antelope, rolling & chopped up terrain & so very good stalking ability, huge amounts of easy BLM lands, easy glassing terrain, easy access, not on everyone's radar as a monster buck area like say 57, but next door to 67 which is a dandy area for big bucks. But it takes 9 points ! You'll need to call the Biologist & Warden that works 106 & get their thoughts about it this year. Plus best times to hunt there, & their recommendations. Ask them to point you to a good starting point for hunting/scouting. Just call the Regional G & F Office that covers 106 & get the names/phone numbers of the Bios/Game Wardens that cover 106. Good Hunting & Good Luck ! ?
Jerry Gold-- Fort Collins, Colorado ???

You really can't go wrong with any unit that required 4+ points last year. Pick an area that you are interested in exploring. If you are also planing on hunting deer or elk in Wyoming in the future, I would suggest looking at hunting pronghorn in the same area or adjacent to an area you are thinking about hunting deer or elk in the future.

Point creep is hard to predict, especially this year with the whole COVID 19. You might be able to draw a tag that took 9 points last year or you may not have enough points for a unit that took 5 last year. Mix in the special draw and it gets even more difficult to pick.

Cowboy 101- Unit 106 shares the south border with the north border of unit 64. It's a very good trophy area known to some. Often antelope go back & forth across that border between areas, especially during the rut which starts 9/21 in Wyoming & lasts approx 2-3 weeks. Both units are fairly remote & would require camping/RV's, no gas stations there , no restaurants ! Bring lots of gas & water if you go that route.
Jerry Gold -Ft Collins, Colorado ??

Used to hunt 63 and 68 a lot in the past, similar areas. There are lots of lopes and really remote country, good places for camping and lots of room to roam around. Plenty of snakes in that country, so watch yourself. Especially around the water holes, they love to hide in that green grass!!

If you want a remote hunt not many other hunters and a long season to hunt look at 85. Yes not many spots to hunt but the spots the antelope occupie they are plentiful. Grand Tetons in the back drop os amazing and hunt around Fish Creek where it comes off river on lower land and hunt around the river you'll get into them. I think 15-20 tags usually total for the hunt and season is something crazy like 50 days and that few of tags you can pick dates that work for you. Also if you have deer and elk points you can get a Region H deer tag, and a General Elk tag and pick 10 day block and hunt all 3 as Deer season and General Elk and the Antelope hunt all 3 overlap. Grizzlies are around the deer and habitat in that areas but you can slip further south and find a Region H and General area with not as many bears. The Elk and deer area is called Fish Creek i dont recall unit numbers right off my head. But like I said Grizzlies common.

I loved 67, but it looks like you would be just shy in the special drawing unless people bail this year because of the circumstances.
I've only hunted 67 and 74. 74 isn't worth burning 7 points on though in my opinion. Lots of public land in both units though

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom