Antique Rebuild

bullskin

Very Active Member
I have a long gun built by Davidson in 1728 passed down to me by my granddad decades ago. How he came by it I do not know, but I suspect it has been in the family a long time and has an interesting story behind it. It is in bad shape. The wood is dull and brittle and the metal is oxidized to the point that I can barely read the markings. It has a three-inch long split down the barrel about where someone's left thumb would have been while firing. A good part of the stock was blown off, and I suspect a good part of someone's hand as well. I have never heard of "Old Thumbless Zebekiah" or other ancestor, and so do not know the story there. In any event, it makes a nice conversation piece, but I would prefer to shoot it. I am considering having all of the brass removed and another piece constructed from the ground up (no kit) around the salvageable pieces. I would even go for Damascus twist barrels if anyone still builds them. Can any MMer refer me to a smith capable of this job?

Last edited:
Here is a photo showing the undamaged side of the gun, along with two close-ups of the damage to the opposite side. The ramrod is missing and I presume destroyed when the barrel split. The photos cannot do the brass justice, and I would like to salvage those pieces. Also, the lock and trigger mechanisms still function, but I cannot speak to their condition otherwise.

D7A5C2BD-C5F2-47F8-B595-4B93B97E9BC4_1_105_c.jpeg

8F5A5008-5C1D-49A3-A857-982F28104DD8_1_105_c.jpeg
9BFF42E7-AD71-46D6-8286-0739BAD10D1D_1_105_c.jpeg

It is cool. It would be fun repair to shoot, but I’m guessing your posterity would enjoy seeing in its present condition. For me, at least, I’m more fascinated by it the way it is.

There’s a story behind every old firearm. The history is more interesting than the rifle. That’s why all of these Tv antique shows value things higher when there is a history associated with the item.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom