Antler growth in Colorado this year.

This was yesterday. Be patient.
L1100917.JPG

The same buck in that pic still has his horns as of a couple hours ago. I keep an eye on him when he jumps the fence. Any day now ;)

Is that a shed buck he is with?
I don’t think so. There’s a couple of forkies running around with 1 horn, but they get busted pretty often. Forkie’s a herd bull around here by the end of the season.

Usually they have a big nasty gaping hole up there that’s easy to spot. I‘ll see if I can get a close up pretty soon.

I found a massive forky shed yesterday, but that same buck I shared a pic of is still packing as of a couple hours ago. :)

I'd bet it's not great, no matter the water situation. The fall range was terrible which means the winter range was not great. More energy devoted to surviving a winter and less energy devoted to horn growth to even start with....

Range looks pretty good down here in the SW, at least locally.

The critter pic from yesterday. I think those babies might be growing their first antlers.
0823F2ED-E8B5-4D6B-80BE-21162D3A0867.jpeg
49647E20-0D44-4798-844B-57F2EF8CFAA9.jpeg

Hi I’m just trying to get a feeling for what to expect. I will get a little scouting in for 3rd rifle deer this October. But I’m coming from maine and will be mostly focused on elk then. I’m hunting deer east of gunnison and just wondering what the consensus is on antler growth on bucks

Hi I’m just trying to get a feeling for what to expect. I will get a little scouting in for 3rd rifle deer this October. But I’m coming from maine and will be mostly focused on elk then. I’m hunting deer east of gunnison and just wondering what the consensus is on antler growth on bucks
What buck's should've been four points only made it to two points this year. I'd return any tags!?

I would characterize this year as normal, like pretty much every year is.

In fact, can someone point me to an “exceptional “ year? Proof required of course.

I’m seeing pretty good mass this year so far!
Good news! Hoping the high country bucks look good this year when they come down low for the migration with my 4th season tag.
I know of some hunters in unit 22 on the muzzy hunt that are discouraged about the drop in quality.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom