Antler Restoration - Taxidermist Recommendations

monstermuleyman

Thanks in advance for your feedback…

I have a very large set of Mule Deer sheds that need a little work. Long story short, I trusted a taxidermist who came highly recommended. When I inquired he was more than confident that he could do the work and even sent me picture, after picture, of his work. They problem - it wasn’t his work! I found out later he has taken pictures from another website and passed them off as his own. Couple that with some personal issues he was having, I got them back and need some work done to bring them back to life.

Do any of you know a professional you would recommend?

I agree 100% with SS! I’d probably say it’s closer to 98% of taxidermists stink at antler renovation and coloring.

It takes a gob of time hand-painting multiple coats of a variety of colors to look realistic. If you aren’t picky it may not be worth it to pay high $ for someone that really knows what they are doing. I’ve done a lot of antler and horn restoration over the years and it may take me a week to fix broken tines and hand paint a deer rack. For a large elk rack it may take several weeks! All the hours are definitely worth it to bring life back to a gorgeous set of antlers or horns!

You can do a YouTube search and see how some guys color antlers in a matter of minutes and decide if that’s what you would be happy with? Here's an example:

Here’s any guy that does pretty good work:

Last edited:
94.5% of taxidermists suck d at restoring or coloring antlers.

This guy is one of the best:

McKay does fantastic work....

Todd Kranau at Masterpiece Taxidermy- Blue Hill Nebraska is the best I know. He has repaired antlers for me. He even added a broken tine on a bull from scratch and it looks perfect. He is a world champion in multiple categories. He has no employees - everything is done by him.

Yeah, let's see em. How much is "a little work"? If they aren't too far gone they often aren't too tough to bring back to looking good.

Do it yourself with some pine tar, branches and dirt. Deer are easier than elk.

DSCN0702 copy.jpg

DSCN0712 copy.jpg

DSCN0718 copy.jpg

Took me a few hours to get the elk done, can't find my mule deer antler pics sorry.

94.5% of taxidermists suck d at restoring or coloring antlers.

This guy is one of the best:

SS - I have seen his work and have been impressed. I reached out to him last week and asked if he’d be willing. He said he is t doing anything but repos at this time. I will show it to him at the expo and let him see what he thinks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom