antlerlesss ?

muzz

Long Time Member
Does anyone know when the antlerless proclamation will be available?

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Horsecornhole is too awesome of a hunter to shoot any thing that doesn't a huge set of antlers. He is my hero.

LAST EDITED ON May-17-15 AT 00:16AM (MST)[p]"Some people just love to show off their intelligence. "

I agree. Some will complain of not seeing near the deer that they used to but want to continue getting doe tags.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

If there's one Person that I know of that didn't Help Deplete Elk & Deer Herds/Units by Shootin PISSCUTTERS & COWS & DOES it would be Horsecorn!

Truth Hurts sometimes!

This Sshitt Cracks me up!

The exact same JOKERS that Help destroy the Units by decimating Cows & Spikes are the first ones to WHINE when the Herd Disappears!

JFP!!!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

>If there's one Person that I
>know of that didn't Help
>Deplete Elk & Deer Herds/Units
>by Shootin PISSCUTTERS & COWS
>& DOES it would be
>Horsecorn!
>
>Truth Hurts sometimes!
>
>This Sshitt Cracks me up!
>
>The exact same JOKERS that Help
>destroy the Units by decimating
>Cows & Spikes are the
>first ones to WHINE when
>the Herd Disappears!
>
>JFP!!!
>
>I wasn't so much disagreeing with Horsecorn as pointing out his unintelligent reply to an reasonable question. Now if you guys will excuse me, I need to go thaw out some spike steaks :)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> We
>laugh, we cry, we love
>
> Go hard when the going's
>tough
> Push back, come push and
>shove
> Knock us down, we'll get
>back up again and again
>
>We are Members of the Huntin
>Crowd!

Not sure hopping to get a couple doe tags and cow elk tags. I will also make sure the ones I kill are around horse corn's hunting areas haha just playing

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

I agree. Some will complain of not seeing near the deer that they used to but want to continue getting doe tags.

Joey

You saying that the reason you ain't seeing the number of deer is due to the people that go out and shoot a doe???

Well that tells me you do not understand deer management. look at the units that have doe tags there is usually a good reason for them like winter range won't hold the numbers of animals or landowners/farmers are having problems with to many. There is a lot of reasons to hunt does I wish they would hunt a few more in urban areas as every time I see a dead doe on the road it makes me sick knowing it will just rot there in the sun.

Don't knock a fellow hunter Go knock the poacher that's making us all look bad and make management harder...

UThunting1, thought i made myself clear in that statement.

Doe tags are only a possible tool to be used when a herd is over habitat capacity and herd objective. If you have that happening where you are, fine, maybe a doe hunt will work to reduce numbers but i'm hearing and seeing deer numbers in serious decline throughout the Western States yet some still want their doe tags regardless.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Sageadvice

I totally understand your point a and do agree mule deer numbers are not what they once where but they won't ever be the same as the hay days of the 70s and early 80s.

But what I read in your post was you nocking another hunter. Sorry if that is not what you wrote but we as hunters should be a strong group of people and not critical of how what and where people hunt.

It is a fact that for reasons that we all do not agree with antlerless tags are available. I really do not think that the state is not selling these tags for the money but in many cases they are giving these tags out to keep
property owners and farmers happy and keep animals away from areas there not wanted. I wish this was not the case but it is. And in few VERY FEW areas doe numbers are very high.
I for one do love to hunt cow elk as there is most often easy to fill the freezer with meat. I will not criticize someone that hunts does or cows if they eat what they harvest or find someone that will use the meat. I know many hunters that where hooked on hunting because of a antlerless hunt they went on.

That's just my 2 cents worth and if you knew me you would say my 2 cents ain't worth dried elk poop..

GOOD HUNTING THIS FALL TO YOU...

While I don't agree with some management practices being used right now in regard to antlerless, specifically the Wasatch unit elk, I do understand where management and population control comes into play. What I don't understand is why any fellow hunter would discredit another because they take advantage of the resource and harvest a cow elk. I for one, will put my 15 year old son in for a cow tag and well enjoy the hunt and the meat equally. Anyone who doesn't appreciate that is truly lacking in character. Happy hunting.

I made a simple true statement and you guys are trying to read way more of it than it was.

If you think that i was trying to knock on or discredit someone who hunts does, then how can you knock on me, if i don't care to hunt them backed by my 50 years of research and findings in the field, without being hypocrites? Why the name calling at all? Are you that insecure?

BTW, Deer are somewhat like Cattle. Ask any Rancher about his Cows and heifers, they are what will build up a herd given the feed, water, and protection.

Joey

Sage, If you don't like something then don't buy it. That simple. I hope you kill a giant this year. I know I hope to, but I'll be no more excited for my chance to kill a big buck this year than I will seeing my boy get his first elk. Even if it is a girl. Have a nice day.

>I made a simple true statement
>and you guys are trying
>to read way more of
>it than it was.
>
> If you think that i
>was trying to knock on
>or discredit someone who hunts
>does, then how can you
>knock on me, if i
>don't care to hunt them
>backed by my 50 years
>of research and findings in
>the field, without being hypocrites?
>Why the name calling at
>all? Are you that insecure?
>
>
>BTW, Deer are somewhat like Cattle.
>Ask any Rancher about his
>Cows and heifers, they are
>what will build up a
>herd given the feed, water,
>and protection.
>
>Joey
>
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Hey saggy.... Did you know Utah issues only doe tags in the amount of 637 total for the entire state? That is less than .002% of the total population.

Before you go and try to spread your wisdom... please, oh please!, try to gain some first.

WAs this thread about Utah? I guess i missed that.

If you believe in shooting ANY does in areas that have a rapidly declining deer herd, the numbers obviously down, you have no right to complain later when that area's tags get cut across the board.

Is it people from Utah here that are jumping on another hunter and calling names for expressing his own views?

Doe hunters are a touchy bunch it seems.

Joey

No just trying to save some doe.s so we can hunt bucks later. You know they make bucks don't you. Just like what was said earlier. The rancher doesn't kill his heifers so he can grow his herd. Quit buying into the dwrs crap about to many deer

I don't buy into there "to many deer" but I do like a good cow elk hunt!

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

You want buck to doe ratios like ranchers keep cow to bull ratios?

You weirdos keep talking about ranchers and how they raise cattle like that is some sort of pattern we should copy.

I'll take one mature buck to every 150 does. Then Utah will be full of goes on the winter range but hell that buck will have plenty of does to #####.

The majority of these hunts are on agg lands and private property. This is land you wouldn't typically ever have access to but the landowners are more receptive to camouflaged fire stick carrying tards because their fields and lands have too many deer. So either fish and game pay to kill the deer or they issue tags and hunters pay the fish and game to kill deer.

But ya let us go to a ranchers model. That'll be great.

>You want buck to doe ratios
>like ranchers keep cow to
>bull ratios?
>
>You weirdos keep talking about ranchers
>and how they raise cattle
>like that is some sort
>of pattern we should copy.
>
>
>I'll take one mature buck to
>every 150 does. Then Utah
>will be full of goes
>on the winter range but
>hell that buck will have
>plenty of does to #####.
>
>
>The majority of these hunts are
>on agg lands and private
>property. This is land you
>wouldn't typically ever have access
>to but the landowners are
>more receptive to camouflaged fire
>stick carrying tards because their
>fields and lands have too
>many deer. So either fish
>and game pay to kill
>the deer or they issue
>tags and hunters pay the
>fish and game to kill
>deer.
>
>But ya let us go to
>a ranchers model. That'll be
>great.

Excellent perspective! It's true that the does produce the bucks that we love to hunt, but they produce an equal number of does that some people hate to kill and they eat as much as the bucks. Even Ranchers can't grow their herds or flocks beyond the ability to feed or manage them and at some point the females have to be sold and/or butchered. And it doesn't matter whether or not the neighboring ranchers also have too many animals or not enough, if there are too many on the individual ranch property, some of the does, cows, sows, nannies have to go! It's just a matter of how much the rancher will spend or earn to solve the dilemma!

Travis, just how you got from what i said to where you took it, is beyond me. Do you make up stories like this at work too?

Also, i hunted general season Muleys on public land pumpkin patches in Utah more than once so save you BS about the tags mostly being used on Private land.

Once again, Doe permits are not the answer to increase numbers in declining deer herds. Buck to doe ratio is also more BS when talking low deer numbers. Once the herd is near up to objective, then we can talk of culling does as a effective tool.

I guess they are out there but I come from a long line of Ranchers and i've yet to meet one who complained of too many deer on their property. Now days with the cost of hunts, you would think that ranchers would welcome a healthy deer herd on their property.

Elk? My input to this thread was about Doe tags and in any event, i'm talking doe tags, as i know little of ELK and their ability to repopulate.

If you want to just make up BS, fine, most here can see through it and if that's how you want to be known here, works for me.

Joey

Elk meat is good. But Look what has happened on the wasnach and the famous anthro. Go ahead keep killing them and that is what we all get, crapy hunting. It just amazes me that anyone would shoot a cow or doe in the middle of jan. I guess that way you can get two for the price of one. Veal cutlets and momma.

>Travis, just how you got from
>what i said to where
>you took it, is beyond
>me. Do you make up
>stories like this at work
>too?
>
>Also, i hunted general season Muleys
>on public land pumpkin patches
>in Utah more than once
>so save you BS about
>the tags mostly being used
>on Private land.
>
>Once again, Doe permits are not
>the answer to increase numbers
>in declining deer herds. Buck
>to doe ratio is also
>more BS when talking low
>deer numbers. Once the herd
>is near up to objective,
>then we can talk of
>culling does as a effective
>tool.
>
>I guess they are out there
>but I come from a
>long line of Ranchers and
>i've yet to meet one
>who complained of too many
>deer on their property. Now
>days with the cost of
>hunts, you would think that
>ranchers would welcome a healthy
>deer herd on their property.
>
>
>Elk? My input to this
>thread was about Doe tags
>and in any event, i'm
>talking doe tags, as i
>know little of ELK and
>their ability to repopulate.
>
>If you want to just make
>up BS, fine, most here
>can see through it and
>if that's how you want
>to be known here, works
>for me.
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Arguing with you is like arguing with a 3yr old.

Before you say it's BS there gramps why don't you back that up with some research? I know at your age it's getting tough to read small print but I'm sure so done that changes uncle saggy's diapers can help him read a map or two.

The buck to doe ratio system is unbelievably stupid. Which educated idiot came up with that one. Probably someone from back east that went to school and then came out west, got a job and is trying to tell us what to do when they don't have a clue about elk or deer. Stupid!!!

As usual Travis, you've once again shown yourself to be the young disrespectful PUNK that you always seem to be when attacking whatever it is that i have to say. I'll take the high road here, no use wasting my words when you question me, but they are not wanted.

Also, Please don't send your usual fowl mouth vulgar PM's, i have enough of them in my records as it is,.. you have a good day.

Joey

I find it interesting that "Hunters" attack other hunters about antlerless type hunts. The hunter has zero ability to design an antlerless hunt. If a hunter decides not to participate in the hunt, for what ever reason, another hunter will take the tag. Why do people think that the hunter is the one to blame for the decline in animals. The departments are the ones issuing the tags. I know that PETA type groups has gone in and bought large numbers of tags to reduce harvest. Guess what the Departments do they take that into consideration and give out more tags. Carry on.

DZ

Cow elk hunts are fun. I have personally killed around 20 cow elk, my wife has killed a dozen. My daughter will participate in a cow hunt this year as well. freezer has been full of cow elk meat for the last 20 years. Makes great steaks, jerky, hamburger, roasts. I am thankful for theese tags to keep my family fed through the years. Its not always about the antlers, some people, like myself take this hunt as a way to have good hunt.
The chances of killing a bull elk in utah is atmost 3 times in your lifetime if you are lucky. I can kiil a cow elk every year, and its fun, its hunting, and it beats anyday at work.
Matter of fact I will probably kill myself 2 cows this year, I will do it on the archery hunt, and also draw a cow tag and kill one then.
I know I am a hypocrite because I will complain about the deer herd more than anyone. If the deer herd was healthy I would probably doe hunt aswell, I hope one day it will be so we could have more hunting opportunity.

LAST EDITED ON May-22-15 AT 01:28PM (MST)[p]>Cow elk hunts are fun.
>I have personally killed around
>20 cow elk, my wife
>has killed a dozen.
>My daughter will participate in
>a cow hunt this year
>as well. freezer has
>been full of cow elk
>meat for the last 20
>years. Makes great steaks,
>jerky, hamburger, roasts. I
>am thankful for theese tags
>to keep my family fed
>through the years. Its not
>always about the antlers, some
>people, like myself take this
>hunt as a way to
>have good hunt.
>The chances of killing a bull
>elk in utah is atmost
>3 times in your lifetime
>if you are lucky.
>I can kiil a cow
>elk every year, and its
>fun, its hunting, and it
>beats anyday at work.
>Matter of fact I will probably
>kill myself 2 cows this
>year, I will do it
>on the archery hunt, and
>also draw a cow tag
>and kill one then.
>I know I am a hypocrite
>because I will complain about
>the deer herd more than
>anyone. If the deer
>herd was healthy I would
>probably doe hunt aswell, I
>hope one day it will
>be so we could have
>more hunting opportunity.
>
>
It seems that you all are concerned about THE deer herd when, in fact, we are now managing hunting in 38 individual deer herds in Utah, just as the neighboring states have been doing. Some of those herds are over population objectives and/or are a nuisance in some areas in the unit and have to be removed. We've transplanted some of the deer, but the expense, time and man-power expended to do that makes that method questionably viable. Shooting them is quicker, cheaper, less labor intensive and provides the public more opportunity to hunt. Those that don't care to hunt antlerless are welcome to stay home. And those of us that enjoy the antlerless hunts will manage the herd in your behalf.

Which areas are over objective. And why do people beleave the Dwr. They tell everyone that so they can drive new trucks every year. Ya you might move some deer from the was tach front, but that doesn't mean there are to many deer. It just means you built your house where they have to winter.

The gamey I helped out this fall must have missed out on the new truck giveaway.
His pickup looked like it had a lot of hard miles. We got him going and headed back to civilization...hope he didn't have to walk the last 40 miles.

LAST EDITED ON May-23-15 AT 11:13PM (MST)[p]>Which areas are over objective. And
>why do people beleave
>the Dwr. They
>tell everyone that so they
>can drive new trucks every
>year. Ya you might move
>some deer from the was
>tach front, but that doesn't
>mean there are to many
>deer. It just means you
>built your house where they
>have to winter.

Unit #4 - Morgan-South Rich
Unit #5 - East Canyon
Unit #6 - Chalk Creek
Unit 21A - Oak Creek
Unit 24 - Mt Dutton
Unit 28 - Panquitch Lake
Antelope Island
And there may be others, but I haven't seen the latest classification numbers and the current population objectives on all of the units or subunits.

In any case, there are also some areas within some units that are deemed to be over populated for whatever reason. The deer go where they go and to ignore that when setting antlerless numbers is counterproductive to the management of the herd. Plus it's a whole lot easier to move deer than to move houses!

>Which areas are over objective. And
>why do people beleave
>the Dwr. They
>tell everyone that so they
>can drive new trucks every
>year. Ya you might move
>some deer from the was
>tach front, but that doesn't
>mean there are to many
>deer. It just means you
>built your house where they
>have to winter.

Have you seen what subunits have available doe tags? You know not of what you speak.

I have 2 daughters 13 and 18 that didn't draw anything this yr. my 13 year old has never hunted and wants to go bad. She has a new rifle new scope and wants to hunt with dad. You bet your azz I'm applying both of them for cow tags. It's a great opportunity to take a kid hunting and getting them interested in the sport. Plus the meat is fantastic.

Remember that they allocate 20% of the antlerless tags to youth 17 years of age and younger. If they already have points, that will just help them even more.

I've helped some youth hunters get their first harvest in the past. I must say that I enjoy it as much as filling my own tag.
Good luck

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

Billybob that's right. The game should be for all average people. Not the auction tags for the rich. Everyone should have the same opportunity.

Horsecorn, so it's ok now to apply my son for a cow tag? I mean, ok with you? Now I just need the go ahead from Sage and were good to go, right?

LAST EDITED ON May-25-15 AT 02:13AM (MST)[p]Up yours Shadow! I'm talking Deer smartazz! lol :)

Deer that are disappearing off by the thousands each year in all of the Western United States, not just Utah.

As i said that to some seems so wrong,
"Some will complain of not seeing near the deer that they used to but want to continue getting doe tags." and,

"Doe tags are only a possible tool to be used when a herd is over habitat capacity and herd objective. If you have that happening where you are, fine, maybe a doe hunt will work to reduce numbers but i'm hearing and seeing deer numbers in serious decline throughout the Western States yet some still want their doe tags regardless."

No mention of elk. I hate to see any kind of game herds destroyed but i just don't know about Elk.

By the way, some states have been known to sell antlerless tags where the deer are in serious distress already. I know because i've lived right in the middle of what was once proudly claimed to have, "the largest migratory deer herd in the State".

We had them too, used to easy see over a 100 deer each little hunt on near unlimited ideal habitat. Now 10 years go by and last season, the habitat is still here but i saw only 2 deer in 7-8 hunts. Guess what, the new guy here in charge is talking of more doe hunts to "manage" the herds! Unbelievable!

BTW, I'm also a Hunter's Ed. Instructor. Nothing pleases me more that to see our youth stay interested in our hunting heritage and outdoor lifestyle but i'd still not favor doe hunting for youth over allowing a distressed deer herd a chance to recover.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom