Anvil lake on kodiak

kimbersig

Does anyone have any pics of this area? Just curious what it looks like since I'll be hunting there later this year.

Thanks!

I hunted there once had some pics but can't find them for the time being.
But I can tell you about it. You'll want to camp on the West side of the Lake where the hillside goes up to a ridge. You'll find a few bucks on the other side.
On the opposite side of the Lake, there is a trail that vears sidehill South up to a Ridge too. You'll be able to see the other side, some bucks around. Bring a raft to get to the other side. On the North side it opens up to the valley so there isn't much there. On the South side the terrain goes up to a ridge too, but much further, bucks at the apex of that point.
I would hunt it more than 4 days then get moves as it's a small Lake and you'll find everything there in that time period.
Hope that helps........look at Google Earth......

did you see any of those ferel reindeer when you were there? we saw the ayakulik river is about 3 miles away. we're thinking about spiking over that direction a few days and fishing and hunting over there. think that is doable?

OK. If your more after Caribou, go 1 week later and have the pilot fly around until you find them and land at the closest Lake available. If you set on those dates, do the same, but the chances of seeing them is less, IMO.
If your more set on Deer, go to Grants Lagoon and hunt high. Lots of nice bucks up there. And while your up high scout for Caribou, they migrate and travel a lot. Another good spot is having the Pilot land at the Weather Station lake, good buck hunting all over there. If you go 3rd-4th week of September, you'll see Caribou in the area.
I recommend Andrews Air, best flyers over there and will bend over backwards to find the critters before you land, as opposed to others........

Ya those dates are set. We are booked with Andrews already actually. The said they would fly is around looking for bou and set down location is flexible but we are down for anvil lake on the books. Honestly our priority is just a good hunt. Gonna buy two deer tags and one bou so we have options. I think they said a party was already booked for grants lagoon and looking at the map we would hunt all around the lake and then head north towards grants lagoon. But like I said we just want to have a good hunt and be successful with any critter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom