Any Bowhunting Advice?

N

NwIdHntr

I just got into bowhunting recently, and I just moved to Pocatello, but I don't know what all I need to do, or where to go. Any advice from you pro's out there?

if your just getting into archery and have never held an archery tag then you first need to sign up for the archery course through the fish and game.
then tune your bow and shoot, shoot and shoot some more.
its all hunting after that.

travis

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-08 AT 10:04PM (MST)[p]I inherited a fairly nice PSE Nova, and I have shot quite a lot, and I even took bow hunters ed. But I haven't really ever hunted with a bow. And even when I have hunted rifle I haven't had much luck. I guess I never had anyone to teach me. Any pointers on what I need to look for or do?

i would recommend reading as much literature that you can get your hands on for the species your going to be hunting but i think the best way to learn is being out there learning from your mistakes.

First of all hang out on this site, second get David Longs book "Public Land Mulies", and Cameron Hanes book "Back Country Bowhunting." You will learn quite a bit with those three sources of info. Lastly, do what your doing know, ask lots of questions with an open mind. fatrooster.

Just a couple other potential sources of information.
The larger sporting shows often include seminar type presentations that may be useful (I think there are at least a couple shows in SLC).
IDFG sometimes offers seminars for different types of hunting as well. We held one for elk hunting here last year. It was geared toward younger hunters, but I think beginners would be welcome as well. Unfortunately, those kind of seminars are only offered sporadically, but might check with the IDFG office in Pokey.

Tom Keegan
Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

I live in Pocatello and enjoy archery hunting mule deer.

The best way to learn is by doing it. Go out this July and August and practice sneaking up on small bucks or does when you go scouting. There are many things you can read about archery hunting mule deer online. If you want to read a book about archery hunting mule deer, Dwight Schuh wrote a good one. It is a few years old but it will give you some good ideas. I know it was in the Pocatello library a few years ago and probably still is. I would also recomend joining the Pocatello Field Archers.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom