Any carvers in the house

nebo

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-12 AT 09:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-12 AT 09:57?PM (MST)

I do some carving in the off season but far from a good carver but like to play around with wood. If you carve and don't mind show a few you have done. Here is one I did over the weekend. Like I said I'm not a professional more of a river bank carver. Would like to talk to some other carvers if there is any out there.
101_0449.jpg

Eelgrass carves Totem Poles and lines his property with them to po the locals.....LOL

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Well I"m no expert, but that looks like mighty fine work. I'd be proud of that if I was you. How did you come up with the image?

Cool stuff.

gaetz

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-12 AT 05:54AM (MST)[p]gaetz

Well that is the hard part figuring out what to do and how to carve it. I just start with the nose first then go from there. I really really don't have a plan. Just do as I go along. I do look at wood when I see it laying around and can imagine what I would carve in to it. I look at pictures to get some ideas but don't have anything in front of me when I start carving.

I'm far from a pro just goof around with it through the years till bow season starts. I don't sell them I give almost everything away. Thanks for the kind words. I was hoping there was someone else that did some carving on this site.

that looks good nebo. i was going to start carving a few years back. even bought the tools i needed then got called out of town on a job. while gone some dickweed no good SOB broke into my shed and stole 5000 worth of tools from me. i never replaced them tools.

Very nice nebo. A beautiful piece of art. What kind of wood is that?

I'm more of a totem pole hacker, than a carver:)

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-12 AT 09:27PM (MST)[p]eelgrass
I have seen some of your work on here not that long ago and they looked great.
Old cottenwood that has layed around for years. This piece was 7 foot long and was rotten on one side. I made 4 indian faces out of that log. Cottenwood is harder then a wedding d*** if it doesn't have some age. I just oil and varnish.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-12 AT 06:59PM (MST)[p]>Very cool! Would you mind
>posting a picture of the
>tools you use?

I would but photo bucket isn't working for me. I have made some tools and then I have knives, wood files and that is about it. If PB starts working I will post a picture of the tools. I did buy a dremal but don't use it and if I do I do some sanding in the tight spots easrier on my fingers/

My Senior year in Woodshop I started the year with an 8ft Oak Railroad Tie....come to class everyday and whittled on it....meanwhile the teacher kept asking me what I was carving..
last day of school I turned it in....It's a tooth-pick.. I told him..he did pass me...HEHEHE

Pretty cool looking carving if you ask me, especially if you call yourself a novice! Great work...

That said, there are a few too many comments from grown men about "playing with wood" and finding themselves staring at wood and wondering what they could do with it!! I had to double check the web address and make sure I didn't accidentally stumble onto Bess's other favorite website.

LBR

>Pretty cool looking carving if you
>ask me, especially if you
>call yourself a novice!
>Great work...
>
>That said, there are a few
>too many comments from grown
>men about "playing with wood"
>and finding themselves staring
>at wood and wondering what
>they could do with it!!
> I had to double
>check the web address and
>make sure I didn't accidentally
>stumble onto Bess's other favorite
>website.
>
>LBR
That is funny!!! Thanks

8926100_0453.jpg

2431100_0455.jpg

Here are the tools I use. I made some of them and I like to just keep it simple. Also one more I did over the past week.

Wow, that one is awesome too! You've definitely got a knack for carving, bet you could make a little side-money to help fund hunting trips if you wanted to...very nice.

LBR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom