any clues

M

manny15

went to the range today with my 300WSM, i have just put a leupold 3x9 LR scope was shooting the federal vital shok 165grn

after i got it on paper, i would shoot two grouped @ 1/4" then the next two @ 3" to 4"...? any clues, scope a piece of chat?

You Flinched ! HA! Just messing with you.

Here's some things to check

- loose scope rings
- bad scope rings
- loose scope rail
- rings not concentric tweaking the scope (small chance)
- not allowing enough time to cool between shots
- carbon/copper build up
- this time of year - heat mirage -
- crappy ammo (doesn't sound like it)
- flinch (lol)

Just some things to check. A friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out even though it felt tight, the tube was loose in the rings and moved slightly each shot. We put a piece of tape on tube and you could see it walk. Torqued them down and hasn't had a problem since.

For two piece Leupold Mark 4 style rings I think the torque spec is 15 inch pounds and the nut on the rail is 65 inch pounds (it's been a while so double check those)

I'm not sure for Weaver or Ruger style rings/bases.

I would do the "dollar" test on your stock, if it has enough clearance, then check the other stuff that was posted up before.
Sounds like you need to float the barrel? Just a thought though, I shoot the same thing, try the 180's.

?We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.? Aldo Leopold

What alwayzbhuntin said. What you described sounds to me like the first two rounds out of a cold barrell then the next two the barrell is warmed up and moving and probably touching the stock somewhere. Yep run a dollar bill down in between the barrell and the stock, if you encounter drag or can tell it is touching the stock this may be your problem.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom