Any Duck Hunters out there?

O

ozstriker22

I'm live in San Diego. Am going to be hunting deer/quail/dove thanksgiving week in the backwaters of the colorado river (Ca/Yuma border). Had heard there are a few ducks out there... I was thinking I might bring my aluminum Bass Boat and give duck hunting a try too.

I've never hunted duck before. Don't really know anything about it (I've read the Ca DFG regs, but that doesn't tell you much!)

So give me some advice!!!

Jesse

Do you have or can you borrow a couple of dozen decoys? If not try to find a place where you can pass shoot them. Short of that try to locate ducks and jump shoot them. Duck hunting is some of the most fun you can have.

Nemont

Nope... I don't know any other duck hunters in San Diego. I doubt they "fly over" the area I'll be in... it's way back up in there.

How do you reccommend "jump shooting"?

Yeah I probably duck hunt more than anything. There is nothing better than having ducks locked up and coming into the decoys. The dogs shaking so bad from excitement that you swear it's going to come apart. Like Nemont said, get some decoys and get after em'. Good luck.

Nemont, are you the same Nemont from the Duck Hunters Refuge? If so, I would like to talk to you. I live near Huntley outside of Billings and hunt all over. Let me know if you would.
Thanks, John.

Oz,

On a serious note, if you are just going for a day or two, I would try and find a small stream or river and do some jump shooting. If you are ever in Northern Utah, look me up and I will take you duck hunting.

Jason

Many thanks!

I'll tell you all why I'm so eager to kill a duck... I saw a recipe a while a go that I'm dying to try...
1. Cut breast into strips. Lightly tenderize w/ meat mallet(sp)
2. Cut raw Jalapeno into strips lenghtwise
3. Cut bacon to match length of duck strips.
4. Place Jalapeno on duck
5. Place duck on bacon
6. Roll. Skewer with toothpick (should be slightly bigger than bite size).
7. Cover in favorite BBQ sauce. Leave in fridge overnight.
8. BBQ "duck rolls" until bacon is cooked.

2-3 per person as appetizer. Dinner should be venison roast.

OH BABY!!!

Any more advice - keep it coming! Thanks!

Jesse

Maybe the bacon and jalapeno cover the crap taste. I've never ate a duck that didn't taste like #####. By the time they get down here they've spent a little too much time on the sewer ponds for my taste. I used to love duck hunting, I quit after feeling guilty for not eating them. I haven't hunted ducks for over ten years now. I bet that recipe works good for pheasants or chickens though. Wild Turkey maybe?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom