Any early success?

N

NMHUNTNUTT1

Just wondering if any MM had any success over the weekend? I saw two enormous bulls on the back of two trailers yesterday coming down south from 550 to I25. One bull was about as big as I've ever seen , the antlers looked like those of a red stag , they were just points everywhere and huge. I wanted to turn around and get a better look but my wife said I was crazy....Lets hear some ..

hey bro...

saw 2 hunters yesterday at Cuba..2 bulls 1 deer...5x5 buck and both bull are small..looks like 4x4 and 5x5 something ..we came home from Navajo lake..didn't stop for gas...saw them when passin thru town around 3 pm..

my brother said he stopped at Cuba saturday on way to lake..talked to 2 hunters...one big bull 6x6 and small 6x6 from Jemez...my brother stopped at gas station around 5 pm on saturday..

good luck to rest of u guys!!!

vinihunt

I'm headed to unit 23 tomorrow. My elk hunt started saturday but I will still have six days. Hopefully I will have some pics to post next week. Good luck to everyone!

Here a pic from my bull from opening moring. It is my first bull with a bow.

46dde4df349ccebd.jpg

Muliefanatic

Nice bull! I hope I can draw down on one. Just loaded up the 5th wheel and will be headed up in the morning.

What is the best site to use to post a pic that I can link to so that it shows up? I posted pics here before but cant remember what I used last year. I'll post a pic of my bull I killed on Sept 2nd when I figure it out.

Jay

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-07 AT 09:41PM (MST)[p]I just use hp image zone on my computer. It has a resize option for web page display. Accept and save and post away. I haven't tried photobucket or all those others everyone suggests. Good luck. BTW the image zone comes with windows xp so you should have it.
Hey Nutt, I did chase down a couple of guys once. I was out in the sandhills goofing off and a pickup went by going the other direction and PART of a deer rack was protruding out of the bed of the truck. I made a REAL fast u-turn and got behind them to try and get a better look. They actually pulled over because they KNEW what I was doing and figured they'd show off a little. Add me to your wife's crazy list but you never know till you try!

Creat an account (free) on photobucket, up load your pic to photobucket then copy the IMG Code and past it on your post here.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-07 AT 10:54PM (MST)[p]http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/15938/2912492270074469124S600x600Q85.jpg
2213383510074469124S600x600Q85.jpg

2152342420074469124S600x600Q85.jpg

Most exciting hunt of my life right here! Sept 2nd...

MULIEFANATIC , CONGRATS ON A NICE BULL! So what did you think about the Sargent? Elk haven huh....I saw three pics of your hunt this morning, glad you had a great hunt...

Great bulls.

Been getting into them and many close calls.

Great crop of acorns. They seem to be in the oaks eating the acorns.

I shot my buck on Monday 9-3-07. He is a 4x1, 1 year old mule deer buck. His right side is stunted(4 stubby points) while his left side had a decent spike beam. Shot him at 15 yards (after I missed 3 times at other bucks) during my bow hunt. I don't get 15 yard shots very often so I was excited as hell when i shot him. Heck, i had trouble punching my tag because i was so damn excited, he is going to be some goooooooooooood eating!!!!! My family and friends were hazing me about about shooting such a small buck, but i take any and all opportunities that the good lord gives me to punch my tag while I am out bow hunting.

Now that I am done bow hunting for deer, need to get the smokepole ready to go antelope hunting the first of October, can't wait!!!!

Good luck to all!!!!

pinemesa

pinemesa , congrats on your bow buck. You and I think alot alike when it comes to bucks in bow range. I will draw back just like you....What unit and did you get any pics???Again congrats...

OK fellas,
this is an opening morning bull in unit 2. You see, I have no reservations with piling up any legal elk when hunting unit 2. This elk was in cold storage by noon of the opening day. Fun hunt! I stayed the rest of the week to help my partner and what a great hunt we have had so far. He has not killed but has had opportunity everyday.

1346825239_5fa29e39c5.jpg

1346822101_53b072a5ee.jpg

Shedcrazy,

Congrats on the elk! I am leaving Monday for Unit 2. Are the elk vocal now? Which butcher did you use? Looks hot...

The elk were not hot but the weather damn sure was. I heard no bugles in the week I spent. I did notice the grass was good and the water was plenty. I used Jim Baird in Bayfield Colorado so that i could pick it up on my way home to Fort Collins.
Where you from?

shedcrazy , congrats on your elk , nothing wrong with that bull on any bow hunt in any unit in NM...maybe thats why I never shoot bigger bulls huh lol....Congrats on your hunt , way to whack and stack....
m1fan , best of luck to ya....

Got a good bull down this morning. Just finished packing him out and am leaving for CA in the AM on business.
Will post pics and story soon.

Headed out in 4 days! I'll be sure and post pics when I get back. If nothing else, it's going to be a great time in the woods; hopefully, we'll hear some bulls bugling. With a little luck, I'll bring home a cooler full of meat. I'll be up there the 15th-22nd.

Here's a pic of my first bull with a bow. Saw a couple of realy nice bulls but could never close the deal on them. Shot this little guy on sunday afternoon at 40 yards. I had a great time on the hunt and was even able to get it all on video.
46e70f8c2a6e96ba.jpg

Rage two blade mechanical. I was nervous using these but they seemed to do the trick.
46e7146946e858e8.jpg

Yeah buddy ,congrats on a nice bull Pjhntr!!!You made a nice shot , way to go.What unit were you in, were they talkin much...November cow hunt for me so all this Sept bow action has me jacked up.Thanks for sharing it...

Drove along the Valle Caldera today at around 5:00 p.m. Wasn't anything other than bovines that I could see with my bare eyes. I think it's still been too hot. There was still a trace or two of snow left from this afternoon storm...

>Yeah buddy ,congrats on a nice
>bull Pjhntr!!!You made a nice
>shot , way to go.What
>unit were you in, were
>they talkin much...November cow hunt
>for me so all this
>Sept bow action has me
>jacked up.Thanks for sharing it...
>

It came out of unit 51. We actually heard a couple of bugles opening morning. Overall the mountains we were hunting were pretty quiet. Thanks for the congrats NMHUNTNUTT1 and good luck to you on your hunt(s).

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-07 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]called this guy in 9/2 down in 34...unfortunately i was hunting deer and not elk or i would have had a good 15 yard shot...he is a funky 6x2...he is a facing shot...

46e9dad65cf052c5.jpg

and one where he is looking away...

46e9d97357e42300.jpg

...in all, called in 6 bulls and heard a few others...good luck this year fellas, 9/16 is very close now =0)

Hey NMNUTT,

Sorry man for not replying sooner, i was gone on vacation for the past ten days with the family.

I shot my buck in unit 24. I also took a coyote at 11 yards, called her in using a fawn distress call (different area from where i shot my buck). I was actually trying to call in some does that had a few forkys running with them, but instead i got mrs wiley coyote. Pretty intense when i saw her coming in, i drew back when she dropped into a shallow wash, then let her have when she stepped out of some brush 11 yards away, she ran 15 yards and tipped over. Fun as hell, adreline rush from hell too!!!!

I took pictures and all of my buck and coyote, but they are too big to post from this end. Can't size or post with photobucket etc, due to internet filtering here @ work.

pinemesa

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom