Any generator suggestions / experiences?

J

John_Carter

Hello,

Anybody point me in the right direction on what make and size of generator to use to power travel trailer on upcoming CO trip? Also, what is the minimum size generator do you need to power your house during a power outage? We are trying to find a happy medium something that is not overkill for camping and something that could power a house or at least a refrigerator and freezer if the power cuts out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I absolutely love my Honda 1000 watt generator. Its VERY quiet and runs great. Yes we've fired it up in the winter when the power has gone out for extended periods of time to run the furnace.

-DallanC

I don't have any suggestions on generators but my father-in-law just installed some souler pannels on his trailer and they work great. Half hour after the sun comes up his battery is at full charge. I know if I had to choose between the two I would be getting the souler pannels. No need to worry about running out of gas and your battery is at full charge all the time.

400bull

For that usage I'd look at a Honda 3500. We ran our cabin off one for years and it worked fine you just couldn't turn everything on at once. You could really rock out in a trailer with that much juice. If you run propane in both the trailer AND the house you might want to look into a Kholer with the propane conversion. Its super quiet and burns clean.

Howdy!
I got a 5600 Craftsman with 8600 surge watts got it for both camping and home use , I got the bigger one because if my power is out I need it for my domestic well, it's 10hp on wheels and works well, and the price is alot cheaper than others but you still get the Craftsman name! If you have a microwave in your trailer get the biggest you can , you'll see why, the smaller ones will not pull it. Greg

I am an electrical contractor and I will only sell Honda generators. They are the only ones that last and that I can guarantee for two years.They are definitely more money but well worth it. They are quieter and usually have low oil cut off sensors. Others are cheaper but do you want to be working on it by flashlight at 4 in the morning in order to heat your house or run the well. If you want to run a lot of lights, microwave, furnace, well, etc. at the same time I would recommend a 7.2 KW generator. They are sold as portable with wheels like a wheel barrel but they are so heavy that loading them by yourself in your truck is pretty difficult.A 3500KW generator would be lighter and plenty for a trailer though. A microwave is about 1200-1500 watts by itself depending on the brand and size.
Shane

I'd recommend the Honda Inverter series. A buddy of mine has either a 3000 or 3500 watt in this series and it is whisper quiet. You can actually talk in a normal voice within tne feet of this thing. We use to power lights while bowfishing for gar at night. SWEEEEET.

I have the Honda 3500 and use it alot for my camp trailer since I work away from home quite abit during the summer months. You can run a microwave or an air conditioner one at a time, but don't try both it will suck the engine way down.

I also use it at home in the winter when the power goes out. We have an older pellet stove and need to have juice to run the stove. If you intend to charge your fridge and freezer with a 3500, plug them in first. It takes alot of power to cut them up and running, but when they level off you can plug other things in and not have any trouble.

We run the pellet stove, electric light, and TV/vcr off ours at home when the power is out for very long. Sometimes the kids get bored playing games, reading, and doing puzzles, so we let them watch a movie on the tube.

The Honda 3500 weighs 160lbs, so loading it in a pickup is almost a 2-man job. A ramp with close crossbars would be ideal for the times when nobody is around to help. Some of the ATV ramps might work, but most have crossbars spaced too far apart and the generator wheels would fall in between the bars.

My Honda starts the first pull every time! Great porduct IMHO.

treekiller

Tree Killer your first paragraph says it all, those micro's and AC nock the heck out of the engine speed, sounds like experience talkin from both of us, that is why I recomended getting the biggest one you can afford and still make it portable, Hondas are the best probably but my 2yr guarntee on mine makes the $1k I saved worth it, If I blow it up sears can replace it and in a year or two they will call me and ask if I want a warranty extension if I have used it alot by then I mite consider it, Mr Carter another thing you mite consider is a good battery charger also,those furnace blowers really drain the battery and your trailer charging system will not keep up with it, so charge the batteries off the charger you will be glad you got it!...Greg

I have the perfect set up. Two honda 2000 inverters I usually just run one, but when I need to run the ac or the micro I use them together with an adapter that has a 30 amp plug in. They only weigh about 50 pounds so I don't blow a gut when i put them in the back of my truck. The two together equal 4000 watts and that has been plenty for me. The cost was about 2,300 for everything. It's the only way to go, super quiet, very fuel efficient(most of the time only run one),easy to pick up and move, and Honda is the best.

Peakfreak

I bought a Honda EU3000is for my trailer this past spring and it works great. You need at least that size to run (or more appropriately start) your A/C and run other items at the same time. It's VERY quiet and comes with a switch that allows it to vary its speed depending on the draw. They say it can be used to supply electricity to certain items in your home if wired correctly.

The only down side is its pretty heavy, around 140 I believe. The next size down, EU2000 is quite a bit smaller and not nearly as heavy.

-----------------------------------------
Patience my @$$ I want to shoot somethin'

yamaha inverters are rated better and are better warrantied than honda! just check them "BOTH" out! I own both but really only use my 1000 watt yamaha inverter for my camper or most offen!
rackmaster!

I have a 3500W generator that runs everything I need it to in my trailer. However, if I could buy or suggest a generator to buy , it would be the Yamaha EF2800i. Super quiet, 64 lbs, AC and DC output(more useful than you think!). Great generator!

DONT BUY ONE. I PERSONLY HATE THEM DANM THINGS. IF U ARE GOING TO BE CAMPING NEXT TO PEOPLE DONT BUY IT. IT YOU ARE GOING TO BE CAMPING WITH NO ONE AROUND THEN GO AHEAD. I HATE IT WHEN I AM READY FOR BED AND THE DANM PEOPLE NEXT TO US HAVE THAT DANM THING RUNNING ALL NIGHT LONG. I THOUGHT THE WHOLE POINT OF GOING CAMPING/HUNTING WAS TO GET OUT AND ROUGH IT. NOT SIT INSIDE YOUR CAMPER WITH THE HEATER ON WATCHING THE T.V. JUST HAD TO PUT MY TWO CENTS IN.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom