Any grand slammers?

joebuck

Does anyone here have their grand slam? I like to think of myself as a quarter slammer. I have a neighbor who has his BC slam and therefore 3/4 north american slam. He just can't seem to draw for a desert sheep. He also spends a bit of time in some of those asian countries with names I can't pronounce.

"quarter slammer" I like that. Your glass is half full (or 1/4 full). I'm a half slammer. I have a desert and California. All that stands between me and a slam is, what, maybe 30 - 35 grand? :)

I know there are several real slammers that post here.

I slammed a twelve pack of Budweiser watching the Sugar Bowl the other night. haha. I had two chances at desert rams, but blew them both. Ahhhhhh, ram fever! PC

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-04 AT 12:23PM (MST)[p]No worries paul, I missed a beautiful Billy goat last fall(several times). It's the hunting not the killing that makes it such fun. That's what I tell myself anyway. If it had been one of my friends slinging all that lead they would never hear the end of it from me.

Don't be sorry. I would like to do it someday myself. Obviously you are a sheep nut. I am as well but I can't seem to get past hunting Stone's. I love it. Seems kinda strange though considering I'm in much closer proximity to Cali's and Rocky's.

Just a 3/4 slam but maybe this year the draw gods will reward me or I hit the lotto for 60 gisels and book a desert hunt.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I also finished my Slam in October (Officially GSC Number 1119). Would have like to have been issued a number below 1000, but missed that by a couple of years.

Mexico increased significantly the number of Desert permits in the mid 90's and that has allowed a lot of guys to complete their slams. The current trend is around 50 new Slammers per year.

I got lucky and drew a non-resident Utah desert tag in 2002 (one of only two tags that year).

Best of luck in the upcoming drawings.

SheepSlam

Joebuc, you are right. I picture those two rams everyday. They're not on the wall, but definately etched in my mind. I'll never forget those hunts, or the rush on the stalks. PC

When you stop and think about what an accomplishment a Slam is for the average Ol' Joe...... only 1100+ men and women have been able to do it EVER. A certain % of those were people with deep pockets that got it done pretty quick. Still a tremendous accomplishment.

You have to admire guys like Claude Archeluta, Chris Thurston, Don Peay and several more Utah boys that have got it done the hard way. Time and alot of luck drawing.

It's my dream to join them and I'm gettin there too. Utah Rocky and a NWT Dall on the wall. Stone hunt to come and hopefully I'll draw my Utah Desert before I croak. If not.... I'm a lucky man to have hunted them at all.

I'm half way there, with "self guided" desert and rocky mtn rams. If I was 10 years younger, and didn't have a fambily I would move to AK to do the Dall. I'm a cheap barstage.;-)

So, I guess I'll have to try to finish it up the modern way - plunk down the $$$$$. :-( The sad thing is, I was a breath away from going on a dall hunt in '98 when it was several thousand cheaper. I kick myself in the arse for not going. I thought it couldn't get any more expensive then.....but I also thought computers were a fad. :rolleyes:

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-04 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]I'm geting all wound up just listening to you guys. I've been on lots of hunts to sheep country and seen some dandy rams. We've been fortunate to kill rams on every excursion too. some were beauties, others were not. It just so happens I've only been the trigger man on one sheep. I could not care less about that.

I have a couple of questions for you slammers. Does the objective of getting your grand slam ever overshadow the quality of the experience itself? Would you shoot a lesser ram just to complete your grand slam?

I finished my sheep slam a few years ago (GSC 972) and was fortunate to take four rams that all scored near the B&C minimum for a cumulative 680 slam. While I always worked hard to get into good physical condition before a sheep hunt, and was generally successful in maintaining the mental toughness required to take good rams, I've always admitted that there was a lot of luck involved. In today's hi-cost/limited permit market, unless a person has significant free time and resources, its tough to turn down a good representative mature ram. One key is to try to start your sheep hunting while you're still young and strong enough to get around the mountains. Most of the "weak" slams I've seen were taken by older hunters who waited until they were financially "set" before they began sheep hunting, but then found that they weren't mobile enough to get onto good rams. I started in my mid-30's, when I really couldn't afford to hunt sheep, but went anyway, and finished while in my mid-40's. The younger you are, the easier it is to pass on an immature ram because you can reasonably expect to get another chance later on. Don't wait too late to get started, and good luck.

Ramshorn

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-04 AT 11:06PM (MST)[p]Yes, I have finished mine - #1050

joebuck, as for your questions.

"Does the objective of the slam over shadow the experience"
No way! As you know there is nothing better than being in sheep country. For me, I love the experience. Including the sacrifice, the travel, the work, the pain, the condtioning, the beauty, the wildlife, the opportunity. My first hunt was for Stone and it was a total BUST! but I was hooked on the experience, I had to get there again.

"Would you shoot a lesser ram just to complete your slam"
Everybodys definition of lesser is going to be different. The ram has to legal, right. I always want the best ram we can find, but I don't pass on a good opportunity with a mature ram, on my last hunt(Fannin), My guide & I were behind a rock in the rain 287 yards 60 degrees above, I was undecided as it was the first day so I asked my guide whats it going to take to better this ram, he gave me his opinion. When the ram stood I took him, that hunt my outfitter was 1 for 4, I'm glad I listened to my guide. The weather is just to big of factor, that & the time away from family & work, the expense of the hunt & travel, or maybe its a once in a life time tag you have drawn. Not to mention how phyisically demanding sheep country is. What did I read? "Take what the gods are offering today and leave what you heart desires for another time" anyway, something like that.

One thing to keep in mind when considering your next sheep hunt is, they are not going to get any cheaper! your not getting any younger! and life is short!

Good Luck,
Claude

Lets hear from some more sheep hunters, are we not as passionate as the Mule deer forum?

Thanks for your replies. Seems to me you hit the nail on the head H5. To me sheep country is the best place in the world to be.Snowstorms in August. Rainstorms. Sleeping like a marmot stretched out on a rock in the sun. Gobbling freeze dried noodles at 10 PM. Slurping god awful instant oatmeal at 4 AM. Spotting rams on the skyline and getting that adrenaline rush when you see a legal one and he hasn't seen you. Blisters, muscle cramps, sore knees, lactic acid buildup. Wet boots and socks, stinky shirts in the morning. DRY boots and socks, that last fresh shirt you stowed in your pack. Rams on the skyline.

Only 7 1/2 months until opening day. Have you renewed your gym membership?

Never really thought of myself going for the Grand Slam, however I drew a tag and harvested a nice Desert 15 years ago. Since that time every Fall I have enjoyed contacting people who draw sheep tags in southern Nevada near where I live to see if they want an extra set of eyes on their hunts. I've helped on seven of these Desert hunts.

This past August I went up to the Yukon and got a nice 12 year old Stone sheep. A 220 yard shot straight down which I made only because I practiced up and down shooting for three weeks straight beforehand. Had the hunt been three weeks earlier, I would have not made the shot...would have shot over the top of it.

This past year I put in for all sheep hunts available to me in the lower 48 states.(I think there were 14 of them) When I didn't draw, I went north for the Stone. I'll be doing the same this year...putting in for the Rockie MTN and if not lucky, I'll go north to get my Dall.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd build a stockpile of cash just to apply everywhere to get the Rocky and the Desert and fill in with the Stone and Dall on years where the tag gods aren't favorable.

I'll be going to the SCI show in Reno in two weeks just to continue to familiarize myself with the sheep outfitters. May even bid on a hunt or two if my knees go weak! Good Luck.

I'm now sitting on a 1/2 slam, with the two most expensive (Stone and Desert)out of the way. Hunted the Stone in 98 when they were about half of what they are now. Killed the Desert this past fall in Nevada on a resident tag. With max points in MT and CO, and 1 less than max in Wyo I should draw sometime. Who knows, maybe I'll pull a California or Rocky tag here in Nevada! Looking to hunt a Dall in 2005.

Joebuck,
You BC guys are among the luckiest. If I could hunt Stone's every year I'd probably stay at a 1/4 slam the rest of my life. In my opinion, they're the top trophy in North America.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-04 AT 11:53AM (MST)[p]Hey Guys, I was wondering what kinda of rilfe set up you were or are using to shoot these sheep to recieve your slams?

DBake

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-04 AT 10:19AM (MST)[p]dwalton, the funny thing is I can get my 3/4 slam without ever leaving the province. I just haven't drawn for a Dall yet and don't have the bug for a rocky.(well I kinda do but I just haven't been able to find the time to hunt them. I don't want to go for less than a week of hunting and it's just hard to get away for that long.) But I agree with you about the Stone's. They are wonderful to chase.

DBake, I'm not a slammer but I'll answer anyway. I was shooting a savage model 110LH in 7mm remington magnum. I had a super lightweight stock put on so it weighs only 6 1/2 pounds. Add the 3-9x Leupold scope and Butler creek sling plus ammunition and it was not the lightest gun in the world but not the heaviest either. Very accurate and flat shooting.

This year I may carry my newly customized Remington model 700 in 338 win. mag. It's a bit lighter than the 7mm and with hand loaded 210 grain nosler partitions it will be hell on the bear who is unwise enough to give me trouble yet still flat shooting and accurate enough for sheep.

I took all four of my rams with a Browning A-Bolt II 7 mm with 160 grain Nosler Partition bullets. I had to pay for two hunts (Dall and Stone) and drew the other two permits (Rocky tag in Washington and won the New Mexico raffle for the Desert). The Dall and Stone were guided, the other two were "self-guided" with help from family members. It took more total shots (12) then it did cumulative days of hunting (11). LOL.

Ramslam, I thought after your elk hunt you would have got rid of that 7 WM (7 womans mag)
Just kiddin LOL.....................

Joebuck- You should join the BC hunting forum at huntshoot.com. Lots of awesome BC animal pics have been posted. Theres a good bunch of people over there as well!

We talked of going. I'm out but I'm not sure what Jay decided. I havent talked to him for a couple days. It didnt sound like he was going to end up there but keep an eye out for him and Garth. Have fun and stay out of jail..............

I ve got 2 3/4 slams and keep applying for deserts .I'd like to get over and hunt California Sheep sometime.

3/4 slammer here. I've taken 2 Colorado rockys, a Colorado desert, and just last fall took a dall in Alaska.
Now if I only had about 60 grand laying around for a stone. Even if I never finish my slam, which was never really the goal back when I started hunting sheep, It's been one hell of a journey.

Got to 3/4 this Tuesday with my California Rocky BH...missing a Stone Sheep and at 80 don't plan on going after one. Here's a photo of my California Rocky.
_DSC0010-2.jpg

Update from my 2004 post: Finished my slam in 2007 (#1393). Took a dall in Alaska in 2005, and my rocky in Wyoming in 2007. I haven't had a sheep tag in my pocket since then. Fourteen years of unsuccessful notices, and the cost of sheep hunting the thinhorns in the North is more than what I'm willing to pay.

Yes!
Bro and I finished in 2003 and 2004 respectively. We've taken several since then also.

My son took a fine desert and was in line for a bighorn in Wyoming but he left us too soon.

My oldest daughters has taken a great desert ram and a fine dall sheep ram so she's 1/2 way.

Helluva journey and its Jack's fault!

Zeke

1/2 slammer here. Dall in 2010 when I turned 50. I promised my dad I would go sheep hunting some day. Wyoming bighorn 2012 after applying 18 yrs. Lots of desert points in a lot of states. If I ever get the desert, don’t ask me what I’ll do.

1/2 slammer as well. NV desert and a CO rocky. Prob draw another desert some day and buy a Dall but the Stone is unlikely.

When this thread started I had not killed a sheep, but I did take my Wyoming Rocky in September of that year.

I finished my Slam with a black BC Stone Ram in 2017.
Getting in on the ground floor of the point systems enabled me to draw my WY Rocky and my Utah desert. I also won a NWT dall hunt at a Utah WSF banquet. One lucky dude!
I came home empty on my first Stone hunt in 2015, and after sulking for 2 years I sold the farm and made one last trip to BC count.
The ride was an amazing epic adventure for sure! (Jack made me do it)

3/4 slammer here. I've taken 2 Colorado rockys, a Colorado desert, and just last fall took a dall in Alaska.
Now if I only had about 60 grand laying around for a stone. Even if I never finish my slam, which was never really the goal back when I started hunting sheep, It's been one hell of a journey.
Thanks ?
I took all four of my rams with a Browning A-Bolt II 7 mm with 160 grain Nosler Partition bullets. I had to pay for two hunts (Dall and Stone) and drew the other two permits (Rocky tag in Washington and won the New Mexico raffle for the Desert). The Dall and Stone were guided, the other two were "self-guided" with help from family members. It took more total shots (12) then it did cumulative days of hunting (11). LOL.
Darn Jack O’Connor started all this back in the ‘30-‘40 s when he just packed up went across the Mexican border in an old car !! Then lots followed him!! ?? Nuts ! Jerry Gold in Colorado

I wanna hear from guys that have completed their slams unguided and diy. That is cool. Anyone with $ can have a grand slam, but the guys that played the game and put dirt on their boots have really done something. Guiding taught me that there are hunters and wanna be hunters/killers in this world. Anyone can pull a trigger. Nuff said but who the hell cares if you bought a sheep or any animal for that matter?

I wanna hear from guys that have completed their slams unguided and diy. That is cool. Anyone with $ can have a grand slam, but the guys that played the game and put dirt on their boots have really done something. Guiding taught me that there are hunters and wanna be hunters/killers in this world. Anyone can pull a trigger. Nuff said but who the hell cares if you bought a sheep or any animal for that matter?
You obviously care. Pretty hard to get a diy grand slam unless you’re Canadian. There are some stones in Alaska but very few..

Unguided, DIY and with a primitive weapon. Both my sheep are w a muzzy. No interest in doing it w a centerfire….

Two rockies and a desert self guided. My Dall was guided because I’m not a resident of Alaska.

Our two (wife and mine) deserts and my rocky are DIY. Had to hire a guide for the dall (Canada), which where I was makes sense.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom