Any handgun hunters?...

just_a_hunter

I've been bit by the bug, and tagged my first buck last year with a Super 14 contender in .357 Herrett shooting a 200 gr. Hornady FTX with a MV of right at 2000 f.p.s.

IMG_0851.jpg

This contender has since gotten a pretty good make-over. I put a Pachmyer pistol grip on it. I got rid of the Tasco scope and replaced it with a T/C 2-7, also putting Leopold base and rings on it. It's a great shooter and a fine deer rig..

I then picked up a EnCore in .22-250. Had a trigger job done and tighter hinge pin installed.

This (left) is a 200 yard group shooting 50 gr. NBT in front of a healthy dose of IMR-4064. The one on the right is a Contender in .222 under load development. That was also a 200 yard group. The .22-250 also wears a T/C 2-7.

IMG00117-20100124-1323.JPG

I'm serious about getting a bull with a handgun this year and didn't feel the .357 Herrett was quite up to the task of taking one at 200 yards. So I picked up a 15" 30-06 barrel and installed a Burris 2-7 ballistic plex.

IMG00151-20100421-1434.jpg

This is a 300 yard windy 3 shot group. 150 grain Speer Hot Core FB, also buring IMR 4064. It measures right at 3"

IMG00150-20100421-1420.jpg

Anybody else....

Todd

I like to hunt with a handgun. I've shot muleys, black bear and caribou with a handgun. With the caribou I used an Encore in 338 win mag. I'm going to probably use an Encore for late season Kodiak blacktails this year. I think the 308 based case is about perfect for the shorter barrels (15").

I like using revolvers as well but then your range is really limited.

I guided a moose hunter in northern Utah that shot a 15" .338 win. mag. That was 7 years ago and thats what got me started.

I was after a 308 or a 7mm-08, but got too good of a deal on the 30-06. It's a good shooter but not as efficient as the 308 in a 15" I think.. I'm happy with the results though...

Thanks and good luck!!!

Todd

Holy %&*# you guys must be tough. I've hunted muleys with a contender in 30-30 and it kicks the crap out of me. I hunt Elk with a .338 (rifle) and can't imagine what that would be like coming out of a handgun.

If you want recoil try shooting the 470 nitro in an encore handgun. You should see what some of the guys out there are doing with encore handcannons, 416 rigby, etc. I shot the 470 nitro enough to know I'm not going to make a habit out of it. Of course MGM down in St. George will build you just about whatever you want.

I shot a 10" octigon 30-30 in a contender ONCE with the standard wood grip. Still got the scar and out of place knuckle to prove it. By far the most miserable pistol experience of my life. A proper set up really takes a lot of the recoil out.

The .338 was ported. You have to lick your mustach and wet your eye brows because of the fire ball, but recoil isn't too bad.

The un-ported 30-06 is in the upper limits of my toleration level, but not bad at all to shoot. I'm gonna get a brake installed though...

Todd

I shot a Casul .454 10 inch barrel 2x Leopold scope, on an antelope hunt and on an elk hunt.

I certainly needed a good rest.

I traded it for a Ruger 2 inch barel .454 as I hunt bow hunt in grizz country alot now up in Wyo.

Robb

Very nice shooting, I use a 16 inch 45-70 with a 3 power tc scope. Recoil is very managable. I only use it on extra cow hunts everything else the rifle gets the nod.

I just purchased a S&W 460 XVR PC with the 12" barrel. It will be for mule deer and elk (if I ever draw). Can't wait to get out to the range with it, waiting for scope and rings to get here.

Scott

I have a ruger 22 lr, great for shooting at small game, like rabbits and squirrels... :)

I guess I am jealous because I am not man enough to shoot a hand gun any bigger than a 44 mag...

Do squirrels with a 22 LR count?? lol

You guys impress me and my Hats off to you!! I love shooting my pistols and revolvers but none are big game qualified, in my mind, and never have gotten around to getting a genuine Buck buster!

Nice thread!!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom