Any idea on score on this buck?

npaden

I think he still has a tiny bit of growing to do but was just curious what some of you guys would guess this buck to score. Sometimes he looks great, sometimes he looks young. Took these pictures a couple days ago. Taken through a dirty window (of my house) and into the morning sun so not the best quality but should give enough for a general idea.

Untitled by naathan2, on Flickr

Pretty sure this is the same deer last year hard horned.

IMG_E0269 by naathan2, on Flickr

I'm thinking he is somewhere in the 170's. I go back and forth on if he is in the low 170's or upper 170's. I don't think he will make 180 but I'm pretty sure he is at least going to make 170.

The tree tubes in the picture are 5' tall and vary in diameter. I only have 75 acres and our mule deer season is only 9 days long so there is a good chance I won't end up seeing him during the season again this year. I think I would have shot him last year if I had seen him during the season so I don't think he is getting a pass this year but curious what folks might think he would score.

Anyone have a guess?

Thanks, Nathan

I think he has 10? in eye guards and the couple extras that will push him into the 170?s.
I do not think he has a 170 frame.

Thanks for the input. If I had to put a number on it I would put him right at 170 as well, but I think that might be a tiny bit conservative.

I was going back and looking and last year I have a picture of him on August 30th and he was still in velvet so maybe he has a little more growing to do than I thought. An inch or two on each tine could bump him up some, still not sure it will get him to 180 though.

177" on the spot.

-Hawkeye-

My Favorite Expo Tag Quotes:

"It is fair to ask how much comes in with the five dollar application fees and how much went onto the ground.? Don Peay of SFW during 3/31/2005 Wildlife Board Meeting.

"There will be a full accounting of how the applications fees are spent.? Don Peay of SFW - 9/26/2006 - Monstermuleys.com

I don't see anything above 160. Even with brows and extras. The other deer is probably different. But the number is just that...

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-19 AT 09:58AM (MST)[p]Here's a some pictures of him 2 weeks earlier. Much better pictures, he was about 30 yards away for 10 minutes that day.

The velvet is deceiving, but I think he still has pretty good mass looking at his bases vs. his eyes. I am 99% sure it is the same buck as the hard horned buck from last year, if you look closely he has the split browtines last year as well. I don't have a lot of mule deer in the vicinity so the odds of 2 buck this similar is pretty low.

Thanks for the input though, I think I know I'm at least in the ballpark on my original guess.

I guess I will break the trend, I'm getting 181.

Definitely high 170's.

Jake H.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I maybe crazy but I would put him at 185

Life ain't about waiting for the Strom to pass.Its about learning to hunt in the rain!

You CHUMMIN?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

His mains are good enough to put him mid to upper 70?s frame with 3-4 extra inches. He'll gross near 180.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

> You CHUMMIN?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Water trough. It's actually for my bees, but he did drink out of it for several minutes. Pretty hot and dry here lately.

>> You CHUMMIN?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>I know so many people in
>>so many places
>>They make allot of money but
>>they got sad faces
>>
>>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D
>
>
>Water trough. It's actually for
>my bees, but he did
>drink out of it for
>several minutes. Pretty hot
>and dry here lately.

Sometimes Water is the CHUM!:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Close to 180 IMO couple of weeks to grow yet.
Might hit 184 or around there pretty easy.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

1728912427.jpeg

Struggled to come up with 180" with this deer on the hoof last year and passed during the archery hunt. Buddy notched his rifle tag on him later on and he got the tape to 182". My guess is that with the extras and the mains he'll gross 180+. Only one way to find out that I know of.

He was in the backyard again this morning.

He didn't hang around very long and I had things to do so I didn't get many pictures of him this morning. Some growth this week but not a ton. He still might have another inch of length to put on though.

I would love to ground check him, I would love for those of you guessing 180+ to be right, I'm still thinking mid 170s though.

RE: Who packs a Tape measure over toilet paper?

Man, who cares about the inches? Go hunt him and enjoy the experience! Is there any shame in killing a buck that didn't have a tape measure put to his head as soon as he hit the dirt?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom