any ideas for a broken leg

ID_hunter27

Last Saturday I was hit by a car and broke my leg so im wondering if anyone has an idea of a work out for it while im still down I know I can't do much but I refuse to give up on the idea of me hunting this year

Talk to a physical therapist or exercise physiologist. You are going to be under-strengthed (relative to what your used to) going into the hunt, but better to let it properly heal.

What he said! You could cause yourself to even lose the leg if you don't follow the Docs orders!!!

Good time to start planning next years hunt. I'm just getting over my knee being scoped.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

May 9, I broke my leg, ankle, tore the ligaments in my ankle and seperated the two lower leg bones, so I know how you are feeling right now. A few days later I had surgery to repair the ligaments and screws put in to hold everything together. I've been non weight bearing since.

Tomorrow, I have surgery to remove the screws, and have the leg bones wired together (tightrope surgery). If its just a break you will heal in no time, 4 to 6 weeks. If its more severe than you might be looking at 8 to 12 weeks, maybe longer.

Your mind is your worst enemy, or was for me anyway. We have a tendency to think the worst, but in a week or so you will feel much better. Screw next year, you will be out hunting this year. It will give you something to look forward to. Good luck.

I guess if I was you I'd be happy it wasn't both legs. Follow doctors orders absolutely. It may not be the season you had hoped for but you gotta still get out an do it even if its limited. Make the most of it!

I was also hit by a car in May of last year ansd I sustained a compund fracture of the tibia and several fractures of the fibula and tibia. They placed two titanium plates and 20 plus screws. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to hunt that fall. I followed the Docs and physical therapists orders and had a lot of patience and I made it out for both the elk and deer hunt and took my largest buck that year. Be patient and good luck.

1397leg_4.jpg

1368photo.jpg

8719photo2.jpg

4183deer_front.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-13 AT 07:43AM (MST)[p]Hey asphalthunter, I have 2 legs and an arm that look like yours........but I ain't NEVER killed a buck as dandy as the one on your wall.....Hell, I may not have ever SEEN anyone kill one that nice!

Sorry for the hi-jack......couldn't help myself.

"Occasional defeat is a fact of life.....Quitting is what makes it permanent"

I wouldn't want to get near a detector in an airport with the metal you have in that leg!!! Congrats on not only getting out, but on a fantastic buck!

YIKES! and I thought my leg was bad!

I broke my leg in June (a few years ago) and was hunting LE elk with one daughter and pronghorn with another... along with other hunts that Fall.

BUT, follow the Doc's orders or we might be calling you stumpy!

Zeke

get in your truck drive around until you see a buck to shoot than make the shot out of the window. get cell service call buddies to come gut/drag the deer to your truck. get it hung up then take everyone that helped to dinner and start planning for next year. :)

"Shoot Straight"

>Talk to a physical therapist or
>exercise physiologist. You are going
>to be under-strengthed (relative to
>what your used to) going
>into the hunt, but better
>to let it properly heal.
>

Yea, what he said and in that order. Just prior to conclusion of the physical therapy, seek out the services of someone certifed in strength and conditioning.

If I were in your position, I would ask the therapy guy/girl for contact info of someone certifed by either the National Strength and Conditioning Association or the American College of Sports Medicine. The local college athletic department should be of help.

How bad was it? I had compound fractures in my tibia. It was 4 months before I could put 100% weight on it. I had 3 surgeries, 7 months of physical therapy, but I had a lot of soft tissue damage, bullets will do that to you. Still got most of the hardware in my leg. I coworker of mine had a simple fracture on his tibia and it was 4 months before he was full weight bearing.

Well for being hit by a car that was goin 65 or better I faired very well I only broke both my leg bones thats it no other damage was done I was already told by the Dr after surgery to start putting very light pressure on it and move my knee around to keep it strong so im very lucky I know this but still have doubts cuz of all the muscle that's already lost

>How are you guys getting hit
>by cars?
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

Improper interpretation of the term "road hunting"?....... Just sayin'!

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

try getting some those rubber bands to stretch with,keep your upper body flexing and as you get better start on your legs.I have had 2 hip relacements they help keeping your mind off what u can't do now and help on your recover

I broke my leg in half when I was in Jr high. cast up to my hip for 3 months, 6 more weeks in a walking boot. week later I rebroke it. another 6 weeks in a cast, broke the cast and had to get another put on.

take it easy and let yourself heal.... My leg still bothers me...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Modern medicine is pretty amazing now days. I have had a knee replaced twice and still hunt pretty much where I want. If you have access to good physical therapy I'd advise you to do exactly what they tell you. They know your specific needs and if you tell them your concerns they will lead you to the promised land, and perhaps a great buck as well!

My lower left leg looks very similar to that.

14 screws, two stainless plates and a bone graft out of my hip to create a new ankle.

(+1 on the airport metal detectors)

My accident happened in April of '86 and by August I was deer hunting.

A lot of stretching & therapy but the will to force yourself through it is the most important thing of all.

Hang in there and work your way back up the mountain.

My thoughts, exactly. That's a lot of broken legs! Seriously though, stay off your feet until healed, ID. To keep your mind focused and take off the edge, perhaps you could spend some time reviewing unit maps, Google Earth, speaking with biologists, etc and learn something about your unit (or new ones) that you wouldn't otherwise. Good luck.

Over the years I have hunted on crutches a few times due to a crushed right foot via filing cabinet full of xrys, a broken pelvis thanks to a horse being a horse on an elk less elk hunt in Colorado,a foot almost being cut off in a car wreck (67 Chevy ss 327)...,, have killed deer using crutches as rifle rest....have hunted pheasants with shell out of chamber hobbling after my dogs on crutches( yes the dogs ranged on me). ...bench presses are possible with broken lower limb..good luck...stay as strong as you can and focus on making new huntin memories...good luck...hth

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-13 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]

>Stop playing in the street.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Ahhh yes....the expert of not getting hit by cars :)

Don't know why all the negative advice above. I think they are competive and just want to keep you out of the game. My advice would be to just drink muscle milk 4 times a day seems to work for some on here. Lol

keep your chin up I also killed my best archery buck after an accident that broke my elbow.

who farted?

Well ten days after the accident I saw the Dr and they said hunting season will be on for me im healing faster then they've ever seen

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom