Any luck?

Lots of point creep this year... all the sandbagged came out and applied this year... left a lot of guys that expected to draw ? ing

Unit 23 w/ 19 NR PP

General Season is 9/15 - 10/31
I will add the archery option, which I think is $60 and gives me 9/1 - 9/14

Feels strange finally applying for this tag instead of for a PP.

Now I need to decide whether to apply for a Region G deer tag for me or one of my sons - or to let that poor herd get another year of growth.

I drew a unit 18 moose tag with 16 points. Am glad to be out of that pp madness. Any pointers on what to expect (bear wise) would be greatly appreciated. I hear there are plenty there.

Pet Door Sales and Installation
www.utpetdoor.com

>I drew a unit 18 moose
>tag with 16 points.
>Am glad to be out
>of that pp madness.
>Any pointers on what to
>expect (bear wise) would be
>greatly appreciated. I hear
>there are plenty there.
>
>
>Pet Door Sales and Installation
>www.utpetdoor.com

More than moose unfortunately

Three more unsuccessfuls for me. I have some good hunts coming in Wyoming in a few years with the points I have so no big deal. I have a BHO Oryx hunt in New Mex which will be fun. We are blessed to have so many opportunities to hunt here at home, the hunts out west are simply icing on the cake each year. Good Luck to those who drew. We have some long shot odds for Utah and that will bring our draw season to an end.

Bought points in CO, still trying to decide on WY deer. I get to bowhunt Iowa every year so that fills in the gaps.

No, but my neighbor drew a sheep tag and bison tag. Sheep was a random draw tag.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

They still must be updating some accounts. Mine still shows my old point status and no Successful or US.

14th sheep point for me. 62 years old here. Running out of runway! Can you take a walker on a sheep hunt?

Mackey

LAST EDITED ON May-11-18 AT 06:51AM (MST)[p]No Mtn Goat, Bison or Sheep for me. Now a holder of 20 NR Sheep points

Unit 005 NR tag. WY has been good to me as a nonresident over the years--but I am also glad to be out of the points game for moose--gave up on sheep years ago.

No tags for me or my sons - didn't get any love in UT either. We are now up to 1,022 points in the western states!!!

Anyone need any help/intel on 23 or 26 let me know.

I just got back from a trip up there last week

Very Green and very Wet!! haha

Robb

>Unit 3 bison tag.

Please post a picture of your bull when you get it. I've been told of the twenty or so bison available in area 3, they are comprised mostly of old bulls.

>You were very lucky
>
>py

I agree. 3 tags and only 1 of those for a non resident. I am thrilled to get it!
I've driven thru that area many years ago, but haven't been there recently. I would welcome any advice.

The Area 3 Buffalo tag should be a piece of cake. Either side of the North Fork of the Shoshone River from Wapiti west to YNP will have bison. The bison are for the most part big mature males. I don't think I have ever seen a calf in that area. You will need a good plan for moving the beast from where he falls to your rig. A winch might be real helpful. To make it more interesting, use a bow, handgun or an old lever gun. I loaned a buddy my .348 lever gun a few years ago and he knocked the snot out of one of these beasts with one shot.

You will have to be creative when you take a picture to avoid roads, buildings, campgrounds, cabins, Boy Scout shelters (hint, hint), turnouts and other vehicles from the background. There are a lot of USFS lease cabins and dude ranches in this area. I think you cannot shoot within a couple hundred yards of any structure on that leased ground. Keep that in mind if you want to stay out of trouble. Last year, a friend of mine had two numbskull NR hunters shoot a small buck in the head with an arrow. It bedded in front of his lease cabin whereupon these morons finished it with a rifle. They are lucky my friend was a nice guy. They got chewed big time by the warden.

These old boys don't migrate or move around much. Early one morning, I do remember a big boy that jumped over a guard rail right in front of my truck. I locked my brakes up, and will always remember that these beasts are not as slow and cumbersome as they may first appear. Watch out for griz along the highway corridor. They will make the adventure even more interesting.

just sayin...mh

>>You were very lucky
>>
>>py
>
>
>I agree. 3 tags and only
>1 of those for a
>non resident. I am thrilled
>to get it!
>I've driven thru that area many
>years ago, but haven't been
>there recently. I would welcome
>any advice.

You're that guy! Haha, Congrats!
When I called the WGFD and they said they were getting 15-20 calls per day about the Unit 3 tag (yeah, 1 non-res tag), I went the other way, but still struck out in Unit 2.

Hope you get a monster!

Thanks Guys!
Seeing results online you kind of doubt you really got a tag like this, but it came in the mail today. I put it in my gun safe :). I appreciate any help I can get, especially from you guys in Cody or others who are familiar with the area.

>Thanks Guys!
>Seeing results online you kind of
>doubt you really got a
>tag like this, but it
>came in the mail today.
>I put it in my
>gun safe :). I appreciate
>any help I can get,
>especially from you guys in
>Cody or others who are
>familiar with the area.

What are the dates of that bison hunt?

>Why are you guys with 20
>and 23 sheep points not
>drawing a tag?

I have been putting in for the top units.

I want to have the time to dedicate to the hunt. It will be my second sheep tag in the lower 48 and probably my last. I hope to retire in ?19 or ?20. When that decision is made I will drAw a sheep tag and spend whatever it takes in Wy to have a great last sheep adventure. Good plan or bad plan?

>>Why are you guys with 20
>>and 23 sheep points not
>>drawing a tag?
>
>
>I have been putting in for
>the top units.
>
> I want to have
>the time to dedicate to
>the hunt. It will
>be my second sheep tag
>in the lower 48 and
>probably my last. I
>hope to retire in ?19
>or ?20. When that
>decision is made I will
>drAw a sheep tag and
>spend whatever it takes in
>Wy to have a great
>last sheep adventure. Good
>plan or bad plan?

Good plan because it's your plan. :) I certainly understand wanting to be able to take your time and enjoy the hunt.

I'm 54, at 17 points and lacking a Rocky for my slam. So my plan is draw first chance I get. Of course, my perspective is different by definition. 20 is worlds away from 17.

Your only concerns are your health remaining good or WY changing their system to a bonus point system.

>>Thanks Guys!
>>Seeing results online you kind of
>>doubt you really got a
>>tag like this, but it
>>came in the mail today.
>>I put it in my
>>gun safe :). I appreciate
>>any help I can get,
>>especially from you guys in
>>Cody or others who are
>>familiar with the area.
>
>
>What are the dates of that
>bison hunt?

Sept 1 to Jan 1.

>>>Why are you guys with 20
>>>and 23 sheep points not
>>>drawing a tag?
>>
>>
>>I have been putting in for
>>the top units.
>>
>> I want to have
>>the time to dedicate to
>>the hunt. It will
>>be my second sheep tag
>>in the lower 48 and
>>probably my last. I
>>hope to retire in ?19
>>or ?20. When that
>>decision is made I will
>>drAw a sheep tag and
>>spend whatever it takes in
>>Wy to have a great
>>last sheep adventure. Good
>>plan or bad plan?
>
>Good plan because it's your plan.
>:) I certainly understand wanting
>to be able to take
>your time and enjoy the
>hunt.
>
>I'm 54, at 17 points and
>lacking a Rocky for my
>slam. So my plan is
>draw first chance I get.
>Of course, my perspective is
>different by definition. 20 is
>worlds away from 17.
>
>Your only concerns are your health
>remaining good or WY changing
>their system to a bonus
>point system.

I am sitting flush in several states with great hunts on the horizon. Colo Goat this year. But yes my two biggest concerns for Wy sheep are the ones you mentioned. Health and Wy plan changes

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom