Any Nevada Sheep Tags?

I drew a 161 DBHS Ewe tag! Does that count?

Now the proud owner of 26 CBHS points, 24 DBHS, & 5 RMBH NR sheep points. Been in the system long enough to remember the days of paper apps, paper checks & paying the tag fees up front??. Back in 2000 NV ram tags were only $800...

Horniac

I’m headed out chasing desert bighorns in 202. First sheep tag for me. Still in disbelief I drew a tag.
Congratulations es!
Desert sheep hunts are so rare I'd suggest you milk it for all it's worth. You have plenty of fun ahead for sure! Way to go!

Congratulations es!
Desert sheep hunts are so rare I'd suggest you milk it for all it's worth. You have plenty of fun ahead for sure! Way to go!
Thanks. I’m going to spend as much time as possible out looking at sheep this summer. Pretty close to home so I can get down there in a couple hours.

What I’m looking for now are good resources to help with field judging sheep. I’ve watched a couple of Jay Scott videos. But I’m sure there’s more out there.

A couple things that I love about hunting in general are the places it takes me and what I get to learn about the species I’m hunting and the area I’m in. So I’ll be learning as much as I can about desert sheep over the next few months.

I keep checking my account to make sure I wasn’t dreaming, and I do in fact have a sheep tag. Hahaha.

Look at the previous harvest status.

When I had my tag, I looked at quite a few rams in the years prior, during my daughter's ewe hunt two years prior to that, and the scouting leading up to my hunt, both hunts in 213, South of you.

It seems like the judging books really fail to nail down the central Nevada sheep well, and with the drought and disease, it can make things seem somewhat distorted.

Look at all the rams you can, and bring one home that makes you happy. You'll know a mature ram in your unit compared to the others you've seen.

Thanks. I’m going to spend as much time as possible out looking at sheep this summer. Pretty close to home so I can get down there in a couple hours.

What I’m looking for now are good resources to help with field judging sheep. I’ve watched a couple of Jay Scott videos. But I’m sure there’s more out there.

A couple things that I love about hunting in general are the places it takes me and what I get to learn about the species I’m hunting and the area I’m in. So I’ll be learning as much as I can about desert sheep over the next few months.

I keep checking my account to make sure I wasn’t dreaming, and I do in fact have a sheep tag. Hahaha.
Jay Scott is great resource. I listened to alot of his stuff before my hunt. The NDOW sheep class is also a great resource. All of it adds incremental value. If you are able to scout and view groups of rams together, that is the best way to practice judging. It’s so much fun.

Congratulations. If possible, take a kid or potential hunter on a scouting trip. Wild sheep do wonders for growing conservation.

Try and make the orientation classes if at all possible lots of excellent information and probably the best hands on resource of information you can add to your hunt and you can make a scouting trip outta it as well...congrats on the Tags

Try and make the orientation classes if at all possible lots of excellent information and probably the best hands on resource of information you can add to your hunt and you can make a scouting trip outta it as well...congrats on the Tags
Found the recorded sheep orientations that NDOW has online. Lots of good information in there as you suggested. Not sure if the Army Depot has an orientation. Will need to get ahold of them this week and ask about access for hunting and what they require.

Jay Scott is great resource. I listened to alot of his stuff before my hunt. The NDOW sheep class is also a great resource. All of it adds incremental value. If you are able to scout and view groups of rams together, that is the best way to practice judging. It’s so much fun.

Congratulations. If possible, take a kid or potential hunter on a scouting trip. Wild sheep do wonders for growing conservation.
My wife and kiddo will be with me on some of the scouting trips and hopefully the first part of the hunt as well. She only started hunting a couple years ago after meeting me. So it will be a lot of fun to have her out with me. And I do have a few non-hunting friends that are interested in tagging along to look at sheep and see what it is all about.

I only have one hunting buddy that has any experience with a sheep hunt. He helped his dad get a nice ram in the White Mtns in CA a few years ago. Hoping he will be able to make out on a scouting trip or two this summer.

No matter what, it's going to be a fun summer/fall!

Y’all gave me a flashback to 1983 and desert sheep hunting in NV. Thanks

7D1CE9AF-37D4-409A-96E7-B24A4EA1CB40.jpeg

Back then the Nevada sheep units were all identified by 2 digits. This "new fangled" 3 digit unit number throws me off. haha

Ya, I know. It's been a day or two but the memories are still fresh and sweet!

Make memories, guys, and milk it for all it's worth because there are very few do-overs in sheep hunting.

Zeke

This video is of my son’s hunt (Utah). Pretty special to me.

…..and the son of our very own LBH took the video of “our” special hunt which was my son’s last big hunting adventure.

I hope the clip gets your blood pumping.

Zeke

Attachments

• IMG_8844.MOV
    56.4 MB

…..and the son of our very own LBH took the video of “our” special hunt which was my son’s last big hunting adventure.

Zeke
That is awesome - how far did that ram roll after the shot? With that much horn on his head, he probably got some good acceleration going there :ROFLMAO:

What a great memory to have with your son, especially now!! Love it.

Zeke
That was a very special moment for all of us! Thanks for the sharing that incredible hunting highlight with Zac.

On YouTube wild sheep foundation had clay Lancaster do a seminar on aging and scoring rams it’s like an hour long but very in depth hopefully that helps you .

I now have ZERO points for Nevada Desert Bighorn. After 30 plus years I drew 181E. My wife will accompany me and I hope several friends in shifts. Appreciate any/all advice from those with a viewpoint. 72 year old fat body training now underway, bad heart and all. Hope to make the hunt!!

I now have ZERO points for Nevada Desert Bighorn. After 30 plus years I drew 181E. My wife will accompany me and I hope several friends in shifts. Appreciate any/all advice from those with a viewpoint. 72 year old fat body training now underway, bad heart and all. Hope to make the hunt!!
Congrats and best of luck on the hunt and in your training/prep. Pretty cool how much a sheep tag can motivate a guy!! Hope it ends with a big ram and awesome experiences for you!

Congrats Syncerus!
You guys are giving me some serious sheep tag envy! But I'm truly happy for you as well.
181E was also one of my top NV choices. It is a great tag and I doubt you will have trouble finding sheep.
I helped a friend on that unit several years ago and we saw lots of rams. I don't know what it will be like with the unit split but if you go get familiar with the country and the roads I'm guessing you will have an amazing adventure.

Last edited:

Zeke
That is an awesome ram, sounds like this was a very special hunt, even more than just a sheep hunt, glad you have this memory

Wow, great video of Zeke's sons hunt! Great looking ram. Challenging shot also. Thanks to all who replied. Will keep you posted. G'night!

On YouTube wild sheep foundation had clay Lancaster do a seminar on aging and scoring rams it’s like an hour long but very in depth hopefully that helps you .
That was the best video I have watched so far for judging sheep. His quick method of looking at how many annuli are in the approx 90 degrees from straight back from the mouth/eye line to above the back of the eye was cool to see. Not that it is a sure fire method, but will be easier for me to look at it seems like then trying to count all the annuli on each ram I see. To understand the approximate age of the rams anyway.

I also like the advice about looking at the past data for sheep horn size in the unit. There was much better information on that in NV than I had thought. The big game status reports and harvests reports have a lot of info.

The NDOW sheep orientations from the last couple of years are helpful as well. Especially discussing the things to look for specifically for NV desert bighorns.

That was the best video I have watched so far for judging sheep. His quick method of looking at how many annuli are in the approx 90 degrees from straight back from the mouth/eye line to above the back of the eye was cool to see. Not that it is a sure fire method, but will be easier for me to look at it seems like then trying to count all the annuli on each ram I see. To understand the approximate age of the rams anyway.
I think studying the last several years checkout summaries for your unit is a great way to understand the genetics of the sheep you will be hunting, and the expected size, etc.
I've always been shocked at how young the average age of rams harvested in Nevada is. The checkouts usually show the average around 5-6 years old.
You will all have fun looking at all the data you can find. I feel excitement for any tag holder and I wish you the best.

Hmm, seems not the hunt, but only the lucky sclepp that draws a tag??
Yes and no.

The tag certainly must be drawn to actually hunt but several of us know the highs and lows of a truly great sheep hunting adventure. So, there's that. Way more than just the tag!

Drawing a sheep tag makes a guy go into some of the most remote spots on the planet. Also like everything else, a guy gets out of it what he puts into it.

Zeke

Good Luck, Howard
Be carefull with 100 degree days coming, person can dehydrate quickly and cramping comes next. Your unit can be scouted from a vehicle ... Westside in a.m. and Eastside in p.m.Great unit,
Bruce & SilverGrand

We are also headed out in a week and a half.

Going to be hot in southern Utah but the desert sheep are calling again and I must go!
Going to be another epic hunt, win, lose or draw!

I’m guessing we can talk LBH into coming on the hunt??‍♂️.

Zeke

We are also headed out in a week and a half.

Going to be hot in southern Utah but the desert sheep are calling again and I must go!
Going to be another epic hunt, win, lose or draw!

I’m guessing we can talk LBH into coming on the hunt??‍♂️.

Zeke
Vicarious sheep hunts are a very close second to the real thing in my book so yes, my son and I will be willing helpers on your Bro's hunt.
I will say that I am not a fan of the biting desert gnats that you may be encountering in a couple weeks. Sitting for hours behind a glass is only enjoyable when wearing a head net is not required.:)

Congratulations flyingbrass!
I could give you a firehose drink of advice or a sip, depending on how thirsty you are for it. PM me if you want my take.
Getting a tag is an incredible surprise for most of us. Well done.

Hey John, CONGRATULATIONS on drawing this great tag. Now the process begins, lets chat about desert sheep as we have about muleys in times past. Bruce & SilverGrand

I am still in shock that I drew a Ram tag for Unit 184. I have chukar hunted in the unit several times and ran into sheep on more than one occasion which is why I put in for this Unit. I plan on doing a ton of scouting of course but any and all help, advice or information would be very appreciated!

Congratulations Owyhee.
Lots of MM followers hunting sheep in Nevada this year. I've never hunted 184 but I've thought that it might be a good unit for a sleeper ram if you have the time to scout lots, so you are on the right track.
I'm glad to share advice from my desert sheep hunting experience if you want to PM any questions. I'm sure there are plenty of other MMers willing to help.
Keep us posted on your adventure.

Congratulations Owyhee.
Lots of MM followers hunting sheep in Nevada this year. I've never hunted 184 but I've thought that it might be a good unit for a sleeper ram if you have the time to scout lots, so you are on the right track.
I'm glad to share advice from my desert sheep hunting experience if you want to PM any questions. I'm sure there are plenty of other MMers willing to help.
Keep us posted on your adventure.
Thank you littlebighorn! I believe you are correct about 184 ;) I will probably have lots of questions as the time draws near. I watched NDOWs sheep seminar from last year and of course plan on attending the seminar this year. Lots of work ahead and most likely a wearing out some boots.

Well just went to foot Dr and found out I have a stress fracture in my right foot, go figure that’s why it’s been hurting. Going for MRI to see just how bad it is. Hopefully it won’t impact my desert sheep tag. I can hunt trough the pain as long as I’m not doing more damage to it. As a guy gets older it seems like something is always going wrong.

Well just went to foot Dr and found out I have a stress fracture in my right foot, go figure that’s why it’s been hurting. Going for MRI to see just how bad it is. Hopefully it won’t impact my desert sheep tag. I can hunt trough the pain as long as I’m not doing more damage to it. As a guy gets older it seems like something is always going wrong.
Sorry to hear about your foot maddog! That's a hunt you just don't want messed up. Best of luck and keep us posted.

I drew my first sheep hunt area 283-284 with 11 points. Unfortunately twice I screwed myself on points. Once when I went to the Military for 8 years (not knowing about losing points while away) and purchasing a tag only after success in drawing (didn't know the rules on that either). But, after doing it properly, I have finally drawn after 20 years of putting in. If I never draw a sheep tag again, I would die happy in drawing this one, so I am more than stoked! I know it is a huge challenge in that area, so Labor Day weekend will be my first scouting mission.

I also like the advice about looking at the past data for sheep horn size in the unit. There was much better information on that in NV than I had thought. The big game status reports and harvests reports have a lot of info.

The NDOW sheep orientations from the last couple of years are helpful as well. Especially discussing the things to look for specifically for NV desert bighorns.
I have been on quite a few hunts and I still am washy on the gauging of rams, but that video put into detailed perspective. It is an awesome explanation and worth the watch.

I drew my first sheep hunt area 283-284 with 11 points. Unfortunately twice I screwed myself on points. Once when I went to the Military for 8 years (not knowing about losing points while away) and purchasing a tag only after success in drawing (didn't know the rules on that either). But, after doing it properly, I have finally drawn after 20 years of putting in. If I never draw a sheep tag again, I would die happy in drawing this one, so I am more than stoked! I know it is a huge challenge in that area, so Labor Day weekend will be my first scouting mission.
Congratulations Battleborn.
Are you a resident or were you the lucky lone NR. Either way you have an adventure ahead.
Keep us posted on your scouting.

Congratulations on the tag.
Hope the weather cools down some for your scouting trip. Have a good time and keep us posted.

Good luck man!!

Well, the rains flushed us out on any chance in scouting down there. What makes it tough is that I haven't put eyes on key areas to really begin hiking. I might have one more chance in scouting just before the hunt, but curious if anyone has any clear pointers on a beginning down in the Sheep Range.

I might have one more chance in scouting just before the hunt, but curious if anyone has any clear pointers on a beginning down in the Sheep Range.
A quick review of the last couple years checkout summaries for your unit will tell you where in general people have harvested sheep. That's where I would start.
I took a quick peek and while 90% of hunters were successful, the average hunting days for the last two years in your unit is near 10. That tells me that finding good rams is no cake walk. Some good rams have come from that area in the past so that's encouraging.
I hope you can get out again. Keep us up to date!

A quick review of the last couple years checkout summaries for your unit will tell you where in general people have harvested sheep. That's where I would start.
I took a quick peek and while 90% of hunters were successful, the average hunting days for the last two years in your unit is near 10. That tells me that finding good rams is no cake walk. Some good rams have come from that area in the past so that's encouraging.
I hope you can get out again. Keep us up to date!
Yea, I have located and marked on my OnX for sheep taken the last 10ish years in the area. This year will be interesting as there is so much water down there now that they will be spread out. I am hoping to get out at least one more time, but not for awhile. I am getting the itch.

Yea, I have located and marked on my OnX for sheep taken the last 10ish years in the area. This year will be interesting as there is so much water down there now that they will be spread out. I am hoping to get out at least one more time, but not for awhile. I am getting the itch.
Those posted kill locations are self reported so you never know for sure how accurate they are. I'm guessing many will be fairly accurate so it's certainly a place to start. The great moisture we have been having could blow up old patterns for sure so who knows. If you haven't already, I would also try to connect with the biologist in those units. Most I have talked to have been super helpful and anxious to assist.
The rut for those deserts is winding down so the rams will be leaving the ewes pretty soon and be banding back up together. Obviously the closer you can scout to the season, the more likely you will find Rams where they will be when the hunt opens. It's crazy how slow time goes when you have a tag in your pocket and November seems a long time away. If it were my tag, I'd need sleeping pills to get any rest for the next few months.
I'm excited for you Battleborn!

I did not find the sheep but I know that spot well. I have seen many sheep from there.
Were there any antelope using that guzzler?

Last edited:
It's fun to see that country again Syncerus. I saw lots of rams scouting that country in early November for my friend's hunt, but that was almost 10 years ago.
Good luck man. You are tag rich so don't burn out.

Thanks guys. We saw one herd of speed goats, about 30, no good bucks, and one little guy who had unbelievable mass @ about 13" in length... just a few more years...
Easy_Money, the ram is in lower center of the big picture. The ram close up is thru digiscope same scene. It is a magical area...
Sheep is here.JPG
Close up.JPG

Thanks guys. We saw one herd of speed goats, about 30, no good bucks, and one little guy who had unbelievable mass @ about 13" in length... just a few more years...
Easy_Money, the ram is in lower center of the big picture. The ram close up is thru digiscope same scene. It is a magical area...View attachment 120084View attachment 120085
Oh I saw that one. I thought you meant the picture where your wife is sitting up on top. I've seen lots of sheep from that spot.

Thanks and good luck

From that spot it is a lonnng way down to the guzzler(s), about 1800 vertical... The sheep (we saw anyway) were low on the mountains. You ever get to the Monte Cristo's? They were barren of any animals...

Ok folks it’s time to start finding some rams. Headed down next week to start scouting. Health problems hopefully taken care of. Heart procedure in Utah 2 weeks ago appears to be successful and foot Dr is working with me to deal with the pain until after the sheep hunt. Looks like things are falling in place for a successful and fun hunt. Unfortunately Dr shut me down on any heavy hunting until my sheep hunt to make sure no more injury to the foot. Son will have to do the leg work on my grandsons mule deer hunt while I spit from the rig. Good times ahead

Ok folks it’s time to start finding some rams. Headed down next week to start scouting. Health problems hopefully taken care of. Heart procedure in Utah 2 weeks ago appears to be successful and foot Dr is working with me to deal with the pain until after the sheep hunt. Looks like things are falling in place for a successful and fun hunt. Unfortunately Dr shut me down on any heavy hunting until my sheep hunt to make sure no more injury to the foot. Son will have to do the leg work on my grandsons mule deer hunt while I spit from the rig. Good times ahead
Good to hear the ticker is up and running and yes leg work is what sons are for!
NO "Spitting from the rig" :ROFLMAO:
I'm sure that was a fat fingered "spot".

Well done! A wonderful class IV ram with great mass, and a super looking boxy profile. A sheep like that is everyone's goal. What unit were you in? How many days did you hunt/scout? Trophy of a lifetime, congratulations!

That’s a spectacular ram. What unit? Only reason I ask, I see either Walker, Pyramid, or Mead, in the background.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom