Any Nevada Sheep Tags?

They should probably recover that head. Based on what I’ve run across that would be the oldest desert bighorn ever recorded. They pretty much die when they hit 12-13yr old, to reach 14 is almost unheard of and 99% of them will never reach 10-12, especially in NV. Best I can find online is a ewe that was 17 but rams and ewes are totally different on the herd structure. I shot a rocky in CO and the biologist said he was 99% sure he was 14 from his annuli but said he was gonna write down 13 as he said there’s no way anyone would ever believe that a ram would make it to 14.
That’s stupid if everyone had that mindset of let’s not write it down because no one will believe it then it doesn’t lead to good science and research and then what’s the point if it anyway. Maybe more would believe that some can make it to 14 if the bio didn’t lie to save others thoughts. I was just apart of a sheep hunt for a desert that was 14 years old, it’s rare but it does happen.

That’s stupid if everyone had that mindset of let’s not write it down because no one will believe it then it doesn’t lead to good science and research and then what’s the point if it anyway. Maybe more would believe that some can make it to 14 if the bio didn’t lie to save others thoughts. I was just apart of a sheep hunt for a desert that was 14 years old, it’s rare but it does happen.
Yeah I thought the same. I think it was more the fact that the summer at 13,500 and winter at 11k in that unit but yes I agree. I was just glad that he came in as the lady that first looked at it said he was 8 🤦🏻‍♂️. She also bonded the plug in with it hanging out a 1/2”. I had to drill it back out and have her re plug it. Total cluster fudge.

Unfortunately getting an experienced sheep biologist to check in your sheep as opposed to office help makes a big difference in accuracy. I'd also add that it is an inexact science unless you are super experienced. Plenty of excited newby sheep hunters count false annuli as two years instead of one. An inexperienced friend once shot a pretty immature desert ram that he was sure was 8 but it had several false annuli. Still a pretty mount.

This is a ram with 16" bases in the area Syncerus1 is hunting from several years ago. (ended up measuring 15 7/8.). The ram next to him is 9 or 10 but only 12-13" bases. That heavy ram was only 6 years old but giant bases helped him score 168.

I think Syncerus is out there right now trying to find something like him or the deadhead. I hope he has success.

Base Ram.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies all, I've been out in the high desert looking. To yotebuster17, my poor editing/grammar skills definitely led you astray regarding the deadhead... The "kid" who showed me the head was 18 - 25, not the sheep. It was a picture forever etched in my mind. Picture a dirt bike, replete with rider and perched on the front handlebars this giant of a sheep. The kid (everyone less than 35 ish is a kid in my aged eyes...) had no idea what he had. He thought it was a domestic (no kidding) and was incredulous to be informed it was a desert bighorn, and he had better return it to its resting place, post haste! The entire Experience had a "Mad Max" feel...
On to recent news, please see:
https://www.monstermuleys.info/xf/threads/all-good-things-come-to-those.203351/
for the latest report on Chapter 2 of my ongoing hunt for a NV desert ram. It has been fun so far, educational, and rewarding beyond measure, boredom/monotony not withstanding... Mental toughness, (or stupidity) is what is demanded, day in day out. The road goes on and on... Thanks all!
The country.JPG

Apologies all, I've been out in the high desert looking. To yotebuster17, my poor editing/grammar skills definitely led you astray regarding the deadhead... The "kid" who showed me the head was 18 - 25, not the sheep. It was a picture forever etched in my mind. Picture a dirt bike, replete with rider and perched on the front handlebars this giant of a sheep. The kid (everyone less than 35 ish is a kid in my aged eyes...) had no idea what he had. He thought it was a domestic (no kidding) and was incredulous to be informed it was a desert bighorn, and he had better return it to its resting place, post haste! The entire Experience had a "Mad Max" feel...
On to recent news, please see:
https://www.monstermuleys.info/xf/threads/all-good-things-come-to-those.203351/
for the latest report on Chapter 2 of my ongoing hunt for a NV desert ram. It has been fun so far, educational, and rewarding beyond measure, boredom/monotony not withstanding... Mental toughness, (or stupidity) is what is demanded, day in day out. The road goes on and on... Thanks all!
View attachment 128747

I just read your most recent Hunt Adventure post Syncerus.
You are one fine outdoorsman, helping that ram have a proper ending. Kudos to you my friend and best wishes to you on your next sheep foray.

Final Chapter(s) 0f 2023 NV Sheep hunt
If any are interested please see:
for the final chapters of my 2023 NV Desert Bighorn hunt!

Final Chapter(s) 0f 2023 NV Sheep hunt
If any are interested please see:
for the final chapters of my 2023 NV Desert Bighorn hunt!
Congrats. I just read the update and am unable to comment on your hunt thread. You persevered and no one can say you shorted yourself on the experience.

Congratulations on your ram Syncerus1! So happy for you. What a beautiful Ram. (I can't comment in your hunt thread either.)

Last edited:
Amazing adventure Syncerus. I'm not sure you could have "milked" more out of your hunt. To me the process is sometimes more memorable than the final outcome. Regardless you found a fine ram to take home with you. Well done!
Thanks for sharing your wild ride with us.

To all, thank you for educating me on the forum mechanics! I heard from Founder regarding the inability to post/comment on 2023 HUNT ADVENTURES. It is a design feature that allows only the author to post/comment. I learned something! u one and all for your interest and I hope the thread at least provided some entertainment! I hope you all have the opportunity znd don't rush it once that tag is in hand.,.

Your a class act Syncerus1! I really enjoyed following along on your hunt and looking at all your photos. You really maximized your time hunting that tag and killed a nice ram at the end. It doesn‘t get any better than that. Congrats!

Horniac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom