Any news on Unit 58 elk this year yet

NMPaul

As previously posted my wife drew the unit 58 elk tag and we have finally have been able to set aside some time starting Nov 7th.

Have there been some big storms yet?
Big bulls taken?
Are they broken up already?
Any more advice?

I'll be hunting a unit very close to you and also be arriving there on Nov.7.I talked to a guy i know that lives in Cody he said there's been lots of snow and cold weather in the area.It should be a good year with all the moisture they have had.

We got a ton of snow and cold last week and a lot of people were killing elk in 61 and down low on Carter. I would guess that a bunch of elk are down low in the sage.

Guys that sounds like good news. Do you think we will be hitting it pretty good around November 7th?

Thanks guys for any updates you can get me. We are getting excited about it.

That should be plenty good. I hunted it at the end of october one year, similar weather and there were plenty of elk around. There usually is down low.

Oilcan, what tag do you have? Just curious if it's the tag I have too. I'm just curious who all will be in there. Thanks.

Shane

Sounds Like snow monday or tuesday, there is still some snow up there but i bet it is crunchy hard and noisy

Just got back, saw lots of elk 10+mature bulls a day nothing better than 340, deep crusted snow up high, no snow low, hoodoo opens on first it should shake things up a bit. Lots of bulls on 61 which opens on the first, better days coming

Willy, is there lots of hunters? Are you heading back after the HooDoo opens?

Thats some pretty good news. Thanks very much for your report.

Paul I don't mean to hijack your thread, I'm an Eagle County Colo. guy who sort of fell into a Wyo. gov elk tag. I've hunted southern and central Wyo and the Bighorns over the years and would like to try 58 in a couple of weeks. I don't have any horses and have been told that it is not a good area to hunt by myself, which I do frequently. Any outfitter suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

NMPaul I hunted a couple miles from road in rough terrain, have hunted 10 days this year have not seen 1 hunter where I have been hunting, moderate hunting pressure within 1 mile of road, I will be there Oct 30-Nov 5 to hunt the Hoodoo PM if I can be of help

NMPaul,
Meade asked me to get a hold of you and have you call me. My name is Shane and it pertains to your hunt.

307-250-3093

Wife got a small bull on the way out on the last day.

We saw some nice bulls, but, to get to where they were my wife could not be scared of heights.
Horses, more time and weather would have helped also.
We had a good time and were able to spend time with our friend Ernesto who we had not seen for several years. He is a great friend, up for anything, super glasser and tireless.

The access on the Hoodoo left a little to be desired. Basically from where you are allowed to park you need to hike about 3.5 miles to get to where you can glass, then from there the bulls were in the high pockets on the mountain. Also as your hiking trucks can drive right by you that either have property up the mountain or friends of the Ranch and they had a cow season going and a deer season going at the time we were there. Weather would have pushed them down, but, even the 6" of snow we got while we were there was not enough to move them down.

I think the last week of the season should be pretty good. Good luck to the guys that still have tags.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom