Any one hear of a 430’’ Bull killed on the freeway between Williams and Grand Canyon?

The I-64 goes from Williams to the Grand Canyon, running between Unit 10 (west side of highway), 7 West, (East side of highway), and through Unit 9, above the 180. I'll be heading up tomorrow, I know of a guide who lives in the area. I will ask for any details. I'm sure he would have heard of a 430 bull vs. vehicle incident.

Where did you see I-40 mentioned? The 40 doesn't run between Williams and the Grand Canyon. The 64 does. Which cuts between 10/7W and then up through 9.

The OP refers to ‘a Big bull over 400 killed on the freeway‘. I-40 is a freeway. Highway 64 is a 2-lane road, hardly a freeway in anyone’s mind. So, if the bull was killed on ‘The Freeway‘, it sure as hell wasn’t in unit 9.

The OP refers to ‘a Big bull over 400 killed on the freeway‘. I-40 is a freeway. Highway 64 is a 2-lane road, hardly a freeway in anyone’s mind. So, if the bull was killed on ‘The Freeway‘, it sure as hell wasn’t in unit 9.

Thread title:
Any one hear of a 430’’ Bull killed on the freeway between Williams and Grand Canyon?

Only one highway runs between Williams and the Grand Canyon. It's not I40.

Was talking to a guide in Williams three weeks ago. He said a 430-450 bull would be a 50 k paycheck! Dang, I'm not going to afford that, in this or any other universe.

You are correct about the definition, AZ 64 is a State "highway", not a true "freeway". But it is the State Highway that runs between Williams and the Grand Canyon.

But that is like someone calling a generic Walgreens brand tissue a "Kleenex".

Other than the Jimmy John's bull killed I have not seen any BIG bulls killed this year. This is the most quiet year I can recall for elk pics in AZ. Judging by the lack of chatter, I can only assume this has been a down year for the early hunts here in AZ.

I have seen 4-5 BIG bulls killed. 390+.
Heard from some guide buddies of sightings of 400"+ bulls, but not much has hit the ground.
Wondering how the late rifle hunts will go next?

I have two scheduled to measure in a few weeks that should make the all-time B&C record book. One typical and one non-typical over 430". Not as many as last year, but the Rez did not have a non-native elk hunt this year either. :)

Other than the Jimmy John's bull killed I have not seen any BIG bulls killed this year. This is the most quiet year I can recall for elk pics in AZ. Judging by the lack of chatter, I can only assume this has been a down year for the early hunts here in AZ.
By far the "quietest" season I have ever experienced!

When we picked up our Elk at White Mountain meats in Show Low in late September we looked at the Taxidermist right next door. He showed us a 455 and a 405 bull. Said they were both from the White Mountain res. First and probably the last time I'll have my hands on a 400 incher. And yes, while I didn't tape them I believe they were that big.

When we picked up our Elk at White Mountain meats in Show Low in late September we looked at the Taxidermist right next door. He showed us a 455 and a 405 bull. Said they were both from the White Mountain res. First and probably the last time I'll have my hands on a 400 incher. And yes, while I didn't tape them I believe they were that big.
Those are the two I’ve been scheduled to measure. They’re talking gross with those numbers which doesn’t mean anything for the actual book. They’ll net lower than that but will still make the all-time minimum which is no easy feat. That non-typical is really neat looking.

Believe me when I say I have much respect for all big bulls but in my mind, I put an asterisk next to any bull that comes off the res or is an auction tag.

Believe me when I say I have much respect for all big bulls but in my mind, I put an asterisk next to any bull that comes off the res or is an auction tag.
Why? Is it because you can’t afford those type hunts or because you think they’re not ‘natural’ elk? Would a unit 9 bull be any less legit if shot near the Havasupai border, or a unit 1, 3A/3C or 23 bull not be legit if shot near White Mtn. Apache res? I’m pretty sure bulls from those units wander on and off the reservations. Same with unit 10 bulls and Hualapai.

Are those bulls not legit? Or is it because most hunters will never get to hunt those places?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom