Any Shooters in this set of pics?

elks96

Long Time Member
From this last weekend. Any of these guys shooters given the tag took 13 years to draw and I have until October 31 to hunt? I was not really tempted by any of them, but I also might do not know enough to say for sure...
Narrow Buck.jpg
Lopes.jpg
Boys.jpg
Potential.jpg

The last one is close, but has very low mass up top. Depending on the quality of the unit he might be worth keeping an eye on.

The last one is close, but has very low mass up top. Depending on the quality of the unit he might be worth keeping an eye on.
So the last goat, I labelled the picture potential thinking he was the best but under my goal. I had him at 20 yards twice at the water hole and the first time he came in I took the photo above and then used the camera to zoom in and really study him. I felt the same, just lacked the mass...

Also this is a really good WY unit. I glassed over 150 bucks this weekend and we did not even cover 1/3 of the unit...

If score is important, then I’d keep looking. That said, I enjoy finding a decent one that looks good to my eye and going for it. Some of my favorites are not my best scoring. Also, don’t assume that all big ones look huge. Biggest one I ever saw dead was shot on an average unit in Wyoming and was passed by a couple of other hunters because he didn’t look “big”. Another hunter settled for him and he scored 91”. They can fool you at times.

Anyone been in unit 57, if so how is it looking? I've heard the roads in Wyoming get pretty nasty if they get wet and I was wondering if that is the case for every road or just the side roads? I have been looking over Onx pretty hard and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the Poison Butte road that appears to run east to west and then turns North eventually going to Wamsutter. If anyone has any other pointers or info they would like to share I wouldn't complain. Either way pretty excited to see the famed Red Desert and I'm sure my buddies and I will have a great time.

If score is important, then I’d keep looking. That said, I enjoy finding a decent one that looks good to my eye and going for it. Some of my favorites are not my best scoring. Also, don’t assume that all big ones look huge. Biggest one I ever saw dead was shot on an average unit in Wyoming and was passed by a couple of other hunters because he didn’t look “big”. Another hunter settled for him and he scored 91”. They can fool you at times.
I hate to be the guy that says never, but no antelope hunter thinks a 91" antelope "didn't look big".

I hate to be the guy that says never, but no antelope hunter thinks a 91" antelope "didn't look big".
I get it. How could anyone not realize a 91” buck is a giant? To clarify, I never saw the 91” buck on the hoof, only dead. The hunters involved never thought the 91” antelope was small, just completely underestimated his size by about 8” because of his extreme mass and body size. The two hunters who passed him both shot mid 80” bucks, and all hunters involved were experienced Wyoming residents with a lifetime of hunting antelope under their belt. My point in telling the story originally is that it is often said when judging pronghorn “if it’s big, you’ll know it“, but that may oversimplify the situation. But yeah, probably didn’t articulate that very well.

Last edited:
Whether I thought it was a 91 incher or an 83 incher (which is what they guessed it was), I'd have torched off a round.
I've seen few, if any, that would go over mid 80. They still did well with mid 80's bucks.

Zeke

Me, no. Imo none of them will go 80". But if it was something you want to shoot and get excited then shoot! It's your tag not ours so who cares what anyone else thinks.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom