ANY SISKIYOU CO. EAST SIDE HUNTERS OUT THERE?

oldmossback

Anybody hunt the east side of I5 in siskiyou co. in either C1 or X1 lately? how has it been? i moved from there 8 years ago and am getting home sick. does anyone know how its going?

man you are indeed home sick... I was up there last weekend at medicine lake (camp ground been full every weekend I heading up there and every campground was a 40 ft motorhomes ..fricken unbeleiveable)
nothing much has changed.. will be hunting there in Oct!
we talked some already.. thinking about camping at 4 corners for a few days! or you think the pass is best to start with? scouting is still useless til bow hunters mix it up!
jack

scouting the pass is alway useless. those big old buck will sit tight unless you practically step on them. Along time ago a friend of mine and i watched through or bino's a guy walk within 15 feet of a nice buck and the buck just layed there and layed his chin almost right on the ground in the thick sage. the guy never saw him. we have jumped bucks up in the thick manzanita and sage from 10 ft away.

I still live up here and we are hunting C1 this year. Last year war really good with the weather we got, a lot of nice bucks were taken because of it. Can't wait for this season to begin jsut hope we get the weather again.

Slide

Hey Slide, my parents still live up in c1 . How was the hunting on public ground last year? got any pics you could shoot my way? where abouts do yo live? I grew up covering almost every inch of C1

All we hunt is public land and it was good because of the weather we go last year. It has been an unusually cool summer so far not to many days over 100 degrees. I'm not very good at posting pics. but my father and I did well last year, we both tagged out here, we also hunted the over the counter hunt in Oregon. You know the hunt, Mt. Ashland, Pilot Rock, Agat Flat etc. I took a nice buck in Oregon, there is a pic. of it in the Blacktail forum. My wife bought a digital camera so I might be able to post some pics. this year if I'm lucky enough to see anything. I live in the Yreka area, I also grew up hunting and trapping the C unit. Where did you live?

Slide

i used to live in big springs. i went to yreka high school. we lived there for 25 yrs. my parents now live on black mountain just outside of hornbrook. been there for last 10 years. what size bucks did you get last year? where abouts? bogus?

My dad took a nice 3x4 about 17" wide and a 3x3 that was an average Blackie. I took a nice basket rack 4x4 that was 18" x 16" and a 3x4 that had really good mass. The buck in the Blacktail Forum titled " Help Please " was taken near Mt. Ashland, that Blacktail scored 159 B&C. I grew up near where your parents live and in fact I live even nearer now. I also graduated from YHS, what year did you graduate.

Slide

I've been hunting the X1/C1 area now for about 23 years. We got 5 bucks last year due to the weather was finally in our favor.Years ago when it was three point and better you could kill your deer every year you got drawn, now we average 2 bucks a year and that's out of 9 hunters. We hunt mostly private,but do hunt some public areas. All the bucks we did get last year were very respectable bucks(one 4x4 three 3x3 and a forkie), but were not near the trophies we used to get.I not going this year because we got drawn for X3B, but will be back again next year. Keep the update on how you did.

hntreric, where do you live? i sure remember those days when it was 3 point or better. however in hunting c1/x1 for 28 years we managed to get a buck every year. sometimes 3 out of 3 tags. whats your guy's biggest public land buck from those 2 zones?. whats funny is we probably all know each other.

I grew up in Petaluma and now live in Oakdale, so I travel every year to go there. I remember taging out every year we hunted there including one year killing 6 4x4 and 3 3x3 all with 20" spread plus back when it was three point and better. The biggest antler buck was a 7x5 and the biggest deer over all weighed 189 pounds field dressed. I agree with you on we get at least one or two every year and we have never been skunked however it is still not like it used to be. Do you remember when it was a two week season and it was always cold and sometimes it would snow. Thats when we got the bucks. Now it's a longer season and it always seems to be around 70-high 80 degree during the season except for last year and once again we got into them again.Got to have the cold weather to move them out of Oregon

most don't even know how to hunt x-1 or c zone(and stick to road hunting)... heck I like huting the far east side of x-1 (indian springs)
but it gets alot of pressure early so the opener I like south facing slope on stephen pass or road closer (green arrow road).
c can be a bit of a challange for me because I don't hunt it and will go over to b zone instead.. I see nice bucks still in x-1 even if only for a second!

48a4f0b74d95d8a4.jpg

48a4f14a51bb0804.jpg

x-1 buck 2 years ago this season.. i did not get drawn last year!
rackmaster

rack master that looks like a stevens pass or military pass buck??
yes I do remember those years of the 2 week seasons. and how it used to rain and snow, mostly because I was about 8 or 9 and had to get up at 4.30am and ride for about an hour in the back of an old jeep with no top in the freezing cold, but I still loved to go. The night before the season opener always felt like the night before xmas to me. Do you remember how long ago you used to be able to get 2 bucks and x1 and c1 were the same zone , it was all x1 back then. the season was also in october then. I still have all my dads old horns with the tags still on them. i save all of our horns, big or small cuz there is a story behind everyone.

Mossback, I graduated in 1989. Send me a PM maybe we know each other. If you want.

Good luck to you all. Tommorrow is opening day and I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slide

The whole area use to X1 and three point and better. When they moved it to forked horn and better they changed the zones and added a c zone. The season used to be 2 weeks and ended around halloween.Back when it was three point or better I remember just driving around you could count at least 10-20 legal bucks a day. forked horn, small three pointers and a lot of does and fawns. You just don't get to see that anymore. we have pettition the DFG to put it back to three point and better for years, but they won't for fear of yahoo's shooting forked horns and letting them lye. I hope you guys will post up how you did since I won't make it there this year.

i havent and dont get back to cali at all anymore. but, my son has a pretty good 3rd season buck tag in november here in colorado. it will be his 1st year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom