Any trad bow hunters out here.

Trad Bow 1979

I’ve just about transitioned away from the compound bow and strictly traditional. Just looking to see if there are any other trad bow shooters out here.

I switched from compound to trad about 6 years ago. I have only killed one muley with it. I still pick up my compound from time to time, but prefer shooting the old stick and string.

Oh man I was about to give up on this post. Glad you guys responded! So I haven’t tagged anything yet, missed a whitetail in Oklahoma back in Nov and I couldn’t get close enough to a mule deer this past January. And I’ve missed a couple grouse. I just drew a Turkey tag for GMU 8 and am planning on using my long bow. I’d like to pick your brains on your arrow set up. For hunting I have a 50 pound Damon Howat hunter recurve and a southwest archery long bow with 35 and pound limbs. For my 50 pounders I’m using 32” 400 spine arrows with 150 grains up front. Total weight is 500 grains. What are you guys using?

My favorite way to hunt is with traditional
Archery equipment. never hunted New Mexico, but Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona, with recurves and long bows, chasing mule deer, Coues deer, and javalina. I have had success on mule, deer, and Javelina. and lots of small game, like rabbits and quail. A few years ago I made a bow out of Juniper tree, elk sinew , rattlesnake skin and some tree sap. Its around 45 pounds and the arrows will weigh different made from bamboo , turkey, and goose feathers for fletchings. This is my Camp bow. I like to hunt with a recurve has a little more snap, and I like the shorter limb to limb.

40A58DDA-1F76-4CF8-93E2-68D66F31526E.png

C2586FB7-3543-455A-8F68-9417762D5CAE.jpeg

C6F63C76-F21C-4672-A97B-F9A18D8C34D2.jpeg

I have 5 trad bows. Right now I shoot a ILF setup that I put together. I believe my limbs are Win&Win Carbon at 54 lb. I shoot it with 720 grain GT Traditional arrows. I use to add the arrow weight tubes to gain weight. However, I realized that the force of the tube coming back towards the nock after a shot pushed the nock out so I switched to weed wacker string that I weigh out and put in the arrow now.

I have 5 trad bows. Right now I shoot a ILF setup that I put together. I believe my limbs are Win&Win Carbon at 54 lb. I shoot it with 720 grain GT Traditional arrows. I use to add the arrow weight tubes to gain weight. However, I realized that the force of the tube coming back towards the nock after a shot pushed the nock out so I switched to weed wacker string that I weigh out and put in the arrow now.
I also have brass weighted inserts in the front and 175 grain broadheads.

iv hunted with a recurve bow for the past two seasons. i grew up shooting the same bow and remove the time i couldn’t draw it back. i haven’t yet taken any big game but have gotten very close, which is an amazing experience itself. bow season used to be the time to scout for rifle but now i make it my priority. last year where i archery hunted i ended up harvesting my first bull elk. hoping to get after it in the same area with a little more knowledge and that oh so precious patients.

I tried using those weight tubes as well, had some of the same issues. Ultimately I got away from them cause it really reduced my FOC

I've killed 11 big game animals with compound bow and said after I get 12 Id go back to a recurve. I've been stuck on 11 since 2016! Maybe these old eyes and body needs to just pick up the old fly rods , still stick n string eh....

I've killed 11 big game animals with compound bow and said after I get 12 Id go back to a recurve. I've been stuck on 11 since 2016! Maybe these old eyes and body needs to just pick up the old fly rods , still stick n string eh....
So far since I’ve transitioned to traditional I’ve missed a couple grouse, a whitetail in OK, in January I couldn’t get within range of a few bucks. I drew GMU 8 for turkey which I intend to use my long bow as well. Hopefully I get all the opportunities I need to for that hunt ha ha.
I really wish this state offered a trad only hunt for deer and elk. The whitetail buck I missed was on a trad only hunt in Oklahoma. I didn’t know that whitetail deer duck when you release an arrow. Then in Oregon they have a trad only hunt for deer and elk.
I know that my chances with deer is especially more difficult with a trad bow since we don’t have the deer numbers of other states but I’ve made up my mind. I just enjoy it much more than the compound. Hope you get your 12th kill this year!

iv hunted with a recurve bow for the past two seasons. i grew up shooting the same bow and remove the time i couldn’t draw it back. i haven’t yet taken any big game but have gotten very close, which is an amazing experience itself. bow season used to be the time to scout for rifle but now i make it my priority. last year where i archery hunted i ended up harvesting my first bull elk. hoping to get after it in the same area with a little more knowledge and that oh so precious patients.
Congratulations on your elk! Was it your first elk or first elk with a trad bow? I’d be really interested in your set up

I shoot traditional here on the home turf. No way I would go traditional on a tag I've been trying to draw for years. I'm not that dedicated.

My favorite way to hunt is with traditional
Archery equipment. never hunted New Mexico, but Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona, with recurves and long bows, chasing mule deer, Coues deer, and javalina. I have had success on mule, deer, and Javelina. and lots of small game, like rabbits and quail. A few years ago I made a bow out of Juniper tree, elk sinew , rattlesnake skin and some tree sap. Its around 45 pounds and the arrows will weigh different made from bamboo , turkey, and goose feathers for fletchings. This is my Camp bow. I like to hunt with a recurve has a little more snap, and I like the shorter limb to limb.

View attachment 104382

View attachment 104383

View attachment 104385
That’s a great looking bow! I’d like to attend Clay Hayes’s clinic where you go to Idaho or Florida and he helps you make your own out of Osage orange. Hopefully I’ll get a kill this year. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Congratulations on your elk! Was it your first elk or first elk with a trad bow? I’d be really interested in your set up
dang i just reread that. Sorry for the confusion but I archery hunted all season then opening rifle for my first bull. It was awesome to get so close all archery season then get it done opening weekend rifle. proved to me a little bit that I can do it. shot him somewhere around 60-75 yards

i’ll post a picture when i get home but that one sentence was to read” i remember a time i couldn’t draw the bow back.” it was my uncles bow he gave me when i was maybe 10-11.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom