Any Unit 34 Reports

C

coyote13

Just looking for general info on the hunts so far this year
Any shot yet? Hows The Rut? Weather? Any Scouting reports?
I have the Muzzy Tag and I'm chomping at bit as my buddies left this morning for our usual Colorado Bow Hunt..I wish i could have done both hunts.

I'm not looking for anyones special spots..I'm already booked with SJRO Just general info to ease my pain of waiting till Oct.

Thanks and Good Luck to all
Jon

It's going way slow to date. Weather is pretty poor. Raining every day and water EVERYWHERE. I keep telling myself that it is going to start happening any day now but still nothing. I've only heard of a couple of elk coming out so far and they were small. Looks like the youth and muzzy hunts are going to be a blast as the bow hunt is not progressing as I would have hoped!
The elk are scattered and not showing any signs of getting together as of yet.
Hope this helps!!

The switch was turned on yesterday!!! I had about 20 bulls screaming, got with in bow range of 5 turned down the 4's and 5's and was 2 steps from a pretty nice 6. I'm headed up this morning. Aint nothing like screaming bulls with their tongues hanging out.

I have passed on some dink 5's and 4's. Rained every day. Lots of bugling starting a cpl days ago.
Got some help from NMPaul and ElkGuyd and got into some bigger bulls. They don't want to come in very bad but have had several come in silent. Have yet to see a 300 bull.

Thanks for the updates, I'm also keeping tabs on cookies thread
I spoke to my outfitter last night he said that they took 4 bull so far with the nicest being about a 320 6x6.
In your guys opinion what would you consider a good bull in 34?
I'm used to hunting CO OTC where a any bull is a good one

If you have a muzzy tag I wouldn't shoot anything less than 330. The bow hunt is a total wash and there are going to be a lot of good to big bulls screaming their heads off on that hunt. If you have a decent guide then a 330 should be very doable. If he tries to have you shoot a 300 or less you need to fire em. If your bowhunting shoot what you can get on. A 280 5x5 with a bow would be a real good bull.

My friend has been in bulls every day. Yesterday got within 53 yards of a small 6x7 (290ish) and got winded. Kinda glad because that will be one heckuva bull if it lives the next 6 months.

This morning was disappointed. Took him out this morning and found a herd of 20+ cows and the bull tending them was a weak 5x5.

When I left my friend he was headed after a couple of pretty good bugles about a quarter mile away.

Another friend of mine got a decent 6x6 on a SCR private land which was some good work. He brought it over to my cooler for a couple of days before he headed home.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom