Any use in getting a 2nd rifle bear tag 66/67?

brushcreek

planning to apply for deer and elk for 67 2nd rifle, i have a bear preference point so could probably draw a tag that's good for 66/67. Harvest stats are abysmal and i'm thinking with the late dates this year the bears will be denned up by 2nd rifle?

Last edited:
6 which may not be enough so we are applying for elk too. I have a cousin who lives in Powderhorn and we are getting a group / family trip up to come out and hunt / stay with him.
That is different then. I would try and get all three and return some if you get the deer tag. It is $100 for bear and they could definitely still be out depending on the temperature.

If he had a deer tag, I would recommend not getting any other tag, elk or bear, just focus on finding a nice buck because he is using points and shootinga bear or elk you would lose a day. Since he is very unlikely to get the deer tag adding on a $100 bear tag is not a bad idea as the bears and elk habitat may overlap a bit more.

If he had a deer tag, I would recommend not getting any other tag, elk or bear, just focus on finding a nice buck because he is using points and shootinga bear or elk you would lose a day. Since he is very unlikely to get the deer tag adding on a $100 bear tag is not a bad idea as the bears and elk habitat may overlap a bit more.
How many deer points do you think it will take this year? 8?

If it's snow and cold there is a pretty good chance bears will be asleep! You may luck into one so it may be worth a tag?

planning to apply for deer and elk for 67 2nd rifle, i have a bear preference point so could probably draw a tag that's good for 66/67. Harvest stats are abysmal and i'm thinking with the late dates this year the bears will be denned up by 2nd rifle?
Two years ago had a late season Arizona Coues tag and hunted the last five days of the year. Purchased a lion tag but like you thought the bears would be denned up as well so didn't spend the $150.

Lo and behold second day of the hunt saw three lion's (mama and two kittens) at less than 200 yards; if only it had been a tom. On the fourth day of the hunt saw a whopper bear at 400 yards and could only watch as I directed others to it.......turned out to have a 19" skull not book but close.

Have done the same thing in Utah before. Seen a nice bear well within range but didn't have a HO tag. I now always have a HO tag in my pocket and unless the bear and lion tag is outlandish I do the same in each state that I hunt. Not trying to sway you either way just giving you something to think about.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom