Any Utah turkey hunters out there?

3TOE

Very Active Member
Hey guys! I’m a SE turkey hunter relocated in Las Vegas NV. I was hoping a few of you could shed some insight & direction on a few places to check out for the general season turkey hunt. I’ve hunted South of Filmore & found a a few birds there & elk hunted East of Beaver & saw birds on that hunt. I’m not asking for a secret spot, just a reference to start out with.
Also, isn’t the general season after the breeding takes place? A May hunt seems awfully late to me. Thanks in advance!

May—at least the first couple of weeks—can be some of the best hunting. The hens are nesting and the Toms are still looking for some action. I’m not as familiar with the southern half of the state, but I have seen good numbers east of Beaver and plenty of public land to explore.

May—at least the first couple of weeks—can be some of the best hunting. The hens are nesting and the Toms are still looking for some action. I’m not as familiar with the southern half of the state, but I have seen good numbers east of Beaver and plenty of public land to explore.
Thanks for the info. I’m happy to hear about the early season, like probably everyone else I was planning to go opening week.

Sounds like you already have a reference for a starting point.... or are you wanting more?

breeding happens when they are ready, just like the elk. I’ve seen turkeys completely fired up in mid May before. I’ve seen turkeys completely fired up the end of May. I’ve seen turkeys completely fired up the end of March. There are hens ready and in their breeding cycles in May. There are hens in April. There isn’t a set date, I personally believe the peak breeding season can have many variables at play to determine when that might be. Weather, location of birds are just a few. Last weekend in January this year I heard and saw, many (15+) toms gobbling their heads off and strutting in front of hens like they were wanting to get the party started. Saw a couple toms fighting and chasing a few hens around. Last Saturday, same group of birds, saw that same activity. Went 25 miles north and watched another flock and they didn’t show the slightest signs that breeding season was anywhere close to being on their minds

Sounds like you already have a reference for a starting point.... or are you wanting more?

breeding happens when they are ready, just like the elk. I’ve seen turkeys completely fired up in mid May before. I’ve seen turkeys completely fired up the end of May. I’ve seen turkeys completely fired up the end of March. There are hens ready and in their breeding cycles in May. There are hens in April. There isn’t a set date, I personally believe the peak breeding season can have many variables at play to determine when that might be. Weather, location of birds are just a few. Last weekend in January this year I heard and saw, many (15+) toms gobbling their heads off and strutting in front of hens like they were wanting to get the party started. Saw a couple toms fighting and chasing a few hens around. Last Saturday, same group of birds, saw that same activity. Went 25 miles north and watched another flock and they didn’t show the slightest signs that breeding season was anywhere close to being on their minds
No I’m good man! Thanks.
I completely get what you are saying about the timing & breeding taking place when they are ready. Last year was a crazy season for me personally & a number of guys that I talked with from Maryland down to Alabama. It was like they were totally done by mid April. I hunt in OK & MS every year & a good rule of thumb is the 1st week in April. Usually most of the breeding has taken place by then & the toms are still looking for love.
Ive personally only turkey hunted UT once during the limited draw & that hunt was way too early.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom