Any WY unit 5 sheep reports?

When I drew my RMB tag in Idaho's White Clouds, I decided to go DIY, instead of outfitted. The outfitted hunts were 100%, but putting a guide on the sheep for 3 weeks before the hunt just didn't sit right with me. It took two 8-day solo trips in order for me to get it done. The 2 outfitted hunters were successful on their first days in, and I was the only successful DIY'er out of the other 3 hunters. I would probably do the same thing today, and give it hell - ram or not!! The trip itself was more than half the satisfaction, but the success at the end was icing on the cake. :)

When I drew my RMB tag in Idaho's White Clouds, I decided to go DIY, instead of outfitted. The outfitted hunts were 100%, but putting a guide on the sheep for 3 weeks before the hunt just didn't sit right with me. It took two 8-day solo trips in order for me to get it done. The 2 outfitted hunters were successful on their first days in, and I was the only successful DIY'er out of the other 3 hunters. I would probably do the same thing today, and give it hell - ram or not!! The trip itself was more than half the satisfaction, but the success at the end was icing on the cake. :)
That’s easy to reflect back on when you got a ram. But pictures/memories from an unsuccessful sheep hunt are meaningless. Why look back at failure? Get out there and kill one.

How many guys reminisce back on their unsuccessful hunts? Especially one when you slept in your car?

Here’s a pic of my camp, the Honda Civic. Here’s a pic of my food from the local restaurant. Here’s a pic of the sheep mountains with the highway in it.

No thanks.

I’m not sure why there’s a stigma on guided vs non guided. And no guide is sitting on a ram for 3 weeks before the season opens. I let my clients dictate how we hunt, I’m just there to keep them from making stupid decisions. LIKE SLEEPING IN THE TRUCK.

That’s easy to reflect back on when you got a ram. But pictures/memories from an unsuccessful sheep hunt are meaningless. Why look back at failure? Get out there and kill one.

How many guys reminisce back on their unsuccessful hunts? Especially one when you slept in your car?

Here’s a pic of my camp, the Honda Civic. Here’s a pic of my food from the local restaurant. Here’s a pic of the sheep mountains with the highway in it.

No thanks.

I’m not sure why there’s a stigma on guided vs non guided. And no guide is sitting on a ram for 3 weeks before the season opens. I let my clients dictate how we hunt, I’m just there to keep them from making stupid decisions. LIKE SLEEPING IN THE TRUCK.
I have a friend currently on a sheep hunt in Utah. He has THE best chance of any tag holder to harvest the best sheep available in the unit, if he can shoot straight?. Yep, sleeping in Springbar tents by the truck. Damn, I thought everybody was supposed to do it the exact same way. The only way to be successful is to do one certain way. Remember you have to do it like SS or it’s not the proper way?

I have a friend currently on a sheep hunt in Utah. He has THE best chance of any tag holder to harvest the best sheep available in the unit, if he can shoot straight?. Yep, sleeping in Springbar tents by the truck. Damn, I thought everybody was supposed to do it the exact same way. The only way to be successful is to do one certain way. Remember you have to do it like SS or it’s not the proper way?
Some areas it’s a smart move. Lots of desert sheep hunts are like that. But we are talking an area 5 bighorn sheep hunt. Sleep in the truck? See how that turns out for you.

Nice try though ?

Some areas it’s a smart move. Lots of desert sheep hunts are like that. But we are talking an area 5 bighorn sheep hunt. Sleep in the truck? See how that turns out for you.

Nice try though ?
Post 65 by you: You stayed in your truck on a sheep hunt? You don’t deserve a ram.

No mention of a Unit 5 hunt. “A sheep hunt”, in this case is referring to any sheep hunt. Yes nice try on your part.

When I killed my ram in Wyoming, I would have had about a 24+ mile round trip hike/climb every day so that wouldn't have worked for me to stay by my truck.

It would have been a little better in Colorado when I killed my ram there. I could have paddled across the river, over and back daily, and hiked 12+ miles per day to get into sheep and back! Honestly, If I did that, there's would be no time for binos and no need for a rifle since I'd be moving the whole day. We did Colorado DIY but knew better than do it by day-tripping.

Desert sheep hunting is a totally different animal. I've successfully hunted Nevada and Utah and camping at the truck worked out just fine. Again, totally different.

I can't even imagine doing a Dall or Stone that way, Haha. They were fly in, backpack hunts and no truck was even within 100 miles.

Yes, I realize all hunts are different.

May the draw Gods smile on you all and you have some of the opportunities that I've had! Make the most of them in whatever way you want.

Zeke

The title of this thread... is Unit 5 sheep... smart guy

Actually it’s not. It’s, “ Any unit 5 sheep reports”. The tag DVT had was actually a unit 22 hunt, correct. Yes I realize unit 5 is part of the hunt starting on 10/1. It’s difficult to to understand whether SS is talking the unit 22 hunt, unit 5 part of this hunt or just any sheep hunt

Last edited:
Actually it’s not. It’s, “ Any unit 5 sheep reports”. The tag DVT had was actually a unit 22 hunt, correct. Yes I realize unit 5 is part of the hunt starting on 10/1. It’s difficult to to understand whether SS is talking the unit 22 hunt, unit 5 part of this hunt or just any sheep hunt
It's not difficult to understand SS at all. He's being brutally honest with the guy about how he feels this DIY hunt was portrayed and documented here. A little tough medicine if you ask me.

Because you seem to know a lot for someone that hasn't killed a sheep
Good job. Spewing without knowing the facts.
3 is the number and actually it’s 3 for 3.

Idaho 4 hunts, 3 successful, one was mine
Utah 2 hunts 2 successful
Alaska 1 hunt 1 successful it was mine
Canada 1 hunt 1 successful it was mine

Just presenting info to prove Othehunter dead wrong.

Last edited:

Were those all DIY? If so great accomplishment (still great if not).

Great effort Don, just tough luck. Half of these guys most likely couldn’t carry your underwear up the hill. They must be awefull to be around and are the same Debby downer people no matter what site they infect, just unhappy people. The only question I have is why you keep coming back for more of the same from these downers! That is the definition of insanity.

Were those all DIY? If so great accomplishment (still great if not).
Thank you. All Idaho hunts were DIY. As you would expect the Alaska and Canada were guided. One Utah hunt my friend hired a guide the other was done DIY. At 42 I realized it was time to get things done if I was going to hunt sheep. With out drawing or buying a tag the north hunts are the only ones available. we know how difficult the draws are and I can’t afford the auctions so I booked the Alaska and Canada hunt. Got lucky on the Idaho draw. Great memories and learned a lot. The one thing that became clear to me was, I like to do things my way. Like DV did. If the measure of a hunt is a tag punched then I am a total failure. Guides are worth their money if punching a tag is important. That was definitely the case for me on the two northern hunts. Now I do it mostly on my own. I would rather harvest a smaller animal DIY than a larger with a guide. The thrill of killing a slammer on my own is off the charts. I found going guided removes certain elements I love. The scouting, strategy etc. Also it puts total ownership on me. No excuses and no one to blame other than myself. I like it that way. I understand the value and why others hire guides but for the most part it is just not for me. More than likely my sheep days are done. BTW the two guides I hunted with up north were incredible people and ran absolute first rate operations. I was blessed with the choices I made. Thank you Frank Entsminger and Dan Reynolds.
F8F38426-66E1-4B81-AEF1-601A10BDA1BC.png

Last edited:

On those Idaho hunts did you stay in the truck?

Thank you. All Idaho hunts were DIY. As you would expect the Alaska and Canada were guided. One Utah hunt my friend hired a guide the other was done DIY. At 42 I realized it was time to get things done if I was going to hunt sheep. With out drawing or buying a tag the north hunts are the only ones available. we know how difficult the draws are and I can’t afford the auctions so I booked the Alaska and Canada hunt. Got lucky on the Idaho draw. Great memories and learned a lot. The one thing that became clear to me was, I like to do things my way. Like DV did. If the measure of a hunt is a tag punched then I am a total failure. Guides are worth their money if punching a tag is important. That was definitely the case for me on the two northern hunts. Now I do it mostly on my own. I would rather harvest a smaller animal DIY than a larger with a guide. The thrill of killing a slammer on my own is off the charts. I found going guided removes certain elements I love. The scouting, strategy etc. Also it puts total ownership on me. No excuses and no one to blame other than myself. I like it that way. I understand the value and why others hire guides but for the most part it is just not for me. More than likely my sheep days are done. BTW the two guides I hunted with up north were incredible people and ran absolute first rate operations. I was blessed with the choices I made. Thank you Frank Entsminger and Dan Reynolds.
View attachment 93969
I know frank and sue, great people. Nice ram btw! Did you have a TMA tag or harvest ticket?

I’ve heard nothing but great things about Dan Reynolds. Luckily I will not have to go the route of guided for stone but if I did he would be my first choice.

On those Idaho hunts did you stay in the truck?
On those Idaho hunts I/we backpacked into the wilderness, made base camps near the truck and even headed to town every once in awhile for a shower. So yes we camped near the truck at times and at other times, no.

I know frank and sue, great people. Nice ram btw! Did you have a TMA tag or harvest ticket?

I’ve heard nothing but great things about Dan Reynolds. Luckily I will not have to go the route of guided for stone but if I did he would be my first choice.
No TMA tag. Open unit ram.

On those Idaho hunts I/we backpacked into the wilderness, made base camps near the truck and even headed to town every once in awhile for a shower. So yes we camped near the truck at times and at other times, no.
??

Looks like they hunted hard, passed up some rams and was able to fill out at the end. Braved cold camps, long rides and most likely a bunch of Grizzly bears. Put it all on the table and was not afraid or make excuses for anything.

If they had not tagged out they would not have complained or made excuses.

Pretty cool to find and kill 2 nice rams and end a pretty special hunt.

It shows what a good outfitter does for sheep hunters by using everything available to have a successful hunt.
Another thing it shows is how the outfitters will let each other know where they have recently seen rams. The main reason they hunted that area was another outstanding Wyo sheep outfitter (Meade Dominck) let them know sheep had been spotted in the canyon. Try finding that kind of info when you're on a DIY solo hunt.

“Try finding that kind of info when you're on a DIY solo hunt.

Yes this year I found out first hand how most Wy residents keep info to themselves even on OIL hunts

I have never had an issue with residents sharing info. Wyoming has been good to me, both residents and the game I have taken, my only complaint was a outfitter. He is a by far the exception.

Hell even residents I traded emails/pm's on items we did not see eye to eye on gave me good/great info when I asked for it or offered when they heard I drew a tag.

Cozmo8 sorry for your experience.

Last edited:
Do it your way. I live in Maine about as far from sheep country as you can get I did a DIY archery sheep hunt in Colorado. i packed in and have a P&Y ram on my wall from day 3. I did a DIY hunt in Montana and have a nice ram on opening day after packing in the day before. Funny thing is I also have a DIY ram from area 5 in Wyoming. I was packing in for at least 7 days but shot the ram on the hike in…..after sleeping in my truck the night before at the trailhead. lol. So i guess you could say i got the ram while truck camping.

I have never had an issue with residents sharing info. Wyoming has been good to me, both residents and the game I have taken, my only complaint was a outfitter. He is a by far the exception.

Hell even residents I traded emails/pm's on items we did not see eye to eye on gave me good/great info when I asked for it or offered when they heard I drew a tag.

Cozmo8 sorry for your experience.

No need to apologize.
I had two Wy residents that were very helpful, but quite a few more that were not. It’s okay, I realize it is my tag and I must be singularly responsible. I took the info and ran with it.

I spoke with Don before the application period this year in Wy. I spoke with a few people he had consulted as well. One individual drove the Wood river road found a 6 yo sheep and climbed for 4-5 hours to get him. Another Wy resident who has helped on over 40 sheep in unit 5 goes in the Wood river road also. Some are “day” hunts. I spoke with a Wy resident that killed a real good ram with the guy. They hiked in one day and killed the next morning, two day hunt. I realize some on this thread either don’t like it that way or don’t believe it can be done that way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom