Anybody finding any NM Sheds yet.

N

nmhs

Is there anybody finding any NM sheds yet. I have seen some bulls and bucks that aren't packing. I hope to get out a little over the next couple of weeks. Good luck. NMHS

Hey Caleb! I haven't had a chance yet but that's all going to change tomorrow morning! Headed up as soon as I get off work at 5:30. good luck to you too!!

Just got back from barb hunting unit 32. Saw several bucks still packing and several that had shed one or both. Three weeks ago I found matching set of a really nice bleached 5X5 desert muley (12-point eastern). Both antlers were laying opposite sides under the same mesquite bush as the skull. Weird, it's like he shed both his antlers and then died on the spot. Really good mass.

Last week I found two recently dead four-points (one laying on one of his shed and the other with both antlers still attached) about 15 feet apart. No evidence of gunshot wounds. Neither appeared very old, but I have no idea what killed them. Both were covered with ticks. Lime disease maybe?

I figure a deer will always have some ticks but the deer I killed this january had more ticks on his cape than I have seen in the past.. Maybe its due to the dry warm winter?

Mozey did you report that to the state I am sure they would be interested, might end up saving a few deer in the future.

I actually have thought it needed to be reported. Some of the bucks I saw yesterday were looking a little emaciated, but it could be just post rut. Anyone ever reported something like this? I'll call the G&F in Santa Fe tomorrow, let you know what they say.

I, too, found a dead doe while out on a barbary hunt. I talked to G&F about it, and they said it was more than likely due to the deer gorging themselves on cholla fruit and not being aboe to digest it. They get plugged up and die. That is what I have heard.....

JBone

With the wind blowing like it is up here right now, I suspect all of the antlers will blow off of the deer and the elk.

Anyone find any "freshies" yet??

A friend of mine has found a few freshies in the northern part of the state (unit 2 area). Found a really nice elk set (about 320) and some small deer horns. I found a set of small deer horns in the southern part of the state outside Las Cruces. I heard they are starting to drop in the Sacramentos (Cloudcroft)but haven't been there or the Gila to start looking. Hopefully going to start the "season" this coming weekend. Good luck to all you shed hunters!

Went out good friday my buddies son Matthew found the only brown.My buddy found one from last year.And i found two skulls probably fro
DSCN0428_0002_002.jpg
m rifle hunts

Crazy, hate to tell you, but, by law you are not allowed to pick up skulls without game & Fish approval. They will make you pay for them, but normally pretty reasonable.
May want to call your local warden and ask him about those you got. The wardens i have met out here have been pretty easy going about it.

I found a small 5x5 bull and gave the warden gps coordinates and i paid him $20 got a reciept and went and picked it up.

By the way your truck plates are in the pic also.

yeah i know usually the price is 10 bucks.always call when there on the side of the road fresh.sometimes they dont even respond.much less telling them you have a 3 month skull and your 50 miles away.your better off picking them up and call them from town

Just got back from a buffalo "harvest" on Vermejo. We saw hundreds of Elk & Deer along hwy 64 and we saw lots of bucks & Bulls that were still packing antlers...

"WIndage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

I saw a small herd yesterday between Tres Piedras and Ojo Caliente and the bulls were still packing. Saw quite a bit of road kill too...

Nothing in 16 yet after 2- 15 mile days. Must not have dropped yet because i always find plenty. Will try again next weekend or maybe scoot over to 21.

No brownies in the Northern end of the 21s...yet. But did stumble across these guys that made it through a year. I found one half and my better half found the other.

ELK2007020.jpg

Saw a herd of Elk Sat. in 36. No big bulls but the spikes were still packing.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

Here's a pic of the bleached sheds I referred to in post no. 3 above, along with three more that I found a week later. The 1 and 5 are a matched set, as well as the 2 and 4:

48013632723db7b7.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom