Anybody out there with experience using Pack goats?

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
I have three and have taken them in the mountains a couple times for 3 days at a time. However they're not old enough to pack. This hunting season I'll be using my buddies that are old enough to pack but I have got to get some saddles. I've gone back and forth on which saddle to get. Wondering if you guys have Pack goats and have used saddles and what you have learned or recommend. Thanks guys!

This hunting season I'll be using my buddies that are old enough to pack but I have got to get some saddles. I've gone back and forth on which saddle to get.
How much weight can each of your buddies carry?

The
devilwink.gif
made me do it!

Your buddies are obviously very healthy & tolerant. I would have never thought to ask my buddies to carry my gear for me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Finally. :ROFLMAO: I cracked up at your fist reply before editing, knowing my 'wit' seemed to go right over your head.

BTW, a friend of mind, Scott Adams, used pack goats a bunch years ago. I even wrote an article about it. He's on Facebook if you want to contact him
Thanks. Yeah I thought you were referring to my goats as my buddies. ? ?

Yes, I am trying to decide if I want to buy his most expensive gear or his wooden cross buck. That gear is outrageously expensive!
It is expensive but every piece has been field proven. I am llama guy and built my own saddles and rigging. Playing around with panniers now that I know what I want and don’t want from the gear I have.

I have been packing with my goats for about 4 years. Love it! I have Mark Warnke’s Signature Series saddles and panniers. It is a big investment, but they are holding up very well after many trips and several deer and elk pack outs. I expect to use them for the next 30 years and thru 2-3 generations of goats, if I last that long. I think the return on investment is worth it. I know people on tight budgets that went with cheaper set ups and eventually ended up biting the bullet and going with Warnke’s. Good luck!

I have been packing with my goats for about 4 years. Love it! I have Mark Warnke’s Signature Series saddles and panniers. It is a big investment, but they are holding up very well after many trips and several deer and elk pack outs. I expect to use them for the next 30 years and thru 2-3 generations of goats, if I last that long. I think the return on investment is worth it. I know people on tight budgets that went with cheaper set ups and eventually ended up biting the bullet and going with Warnke’s. Good luck!
What do you think about his classic wooden saddle setup?

I asked my buddy that question and his response as follows:

“I have three. They work fine. But I bought a Britchen (from those expensive aluminum saddles he sells) and added them instead of the leather strap. Works way better now. I would also suggest getting his stay put pads for them too.”

Btw…for your young goats, I’d recommend a couple of Warnke’s training saddles. Even though the goats graduate to the full size eventually, I still use the training saddles while on day hunts cuz they are easy to get in/out food, water, and layers.

Btw…for your young goats, I’d recommend a couple of Warnke’s training saddles. Even though the goats graduate to the full size eventually, I still use the training saddles while on day hunts cuz they are easy to get in/out food, water, and layers.
Would you be willing to send me your number via pm? I'd love to chat with you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom