Anybody shoot a Lazzeroni?

steelie

I have finally decided my old gun has killed its last animal, and am in need of a new gun. So I've been staring at ballistics charts for the last few weeks, and I'm feeling the need to be a little different on this gun, the Lazzeroni Patriot is one that just keeps jumping out at me. I realize brass, dies, etc are going to cost alot for this cartridge, but that is about the only negative I can see so far. Does anyone shoot this cartridge (or any other Lazzeroni), and what do you think about it?

Thanks

Yes I shoot 2 lazeroni's both caliber are setup in the warbird
I have shot the patriot and just like my warbird calibers they shoot well under 1 inch groups
which action rifle are you looking at ? sako,savage,mcmillen
Both of mine are on the mcmillen action and I have to tell you once you own one you will never shoot another standard rifle again.
In my safe I have 2 300 win mags 1,7-08, 1,30-06 plus about 4 more rifles they all have found a new permanant home in the safe and when I go hunting or practice shooting the lazzeroni comes out.
In my opinion buy it you will love it
what state do you live in

Dom

Thanks for the info Dom, I live in Utah. I'm going with an Encore, that is the only thing I'm sure about, just have to decide on caliber and who will be building it, it will probably be through Virgin Valley Guns here in Utah. I really like the stats on the long-action lazzeronis, but can't seem to find anyone that will put one in an encore (wusses..lol), and I really have my heart set on one.

What kind of recoil are we talking about with these cartridges? I'm probably gonna be dropping a fair amount of coin on this one, and while I would like a light gun, it also needs to be usable until I'm a frail old man, so I've been trying to decide on barrel size/length as well.

Thanks for the info

To get the full effects of the rifle you have to go with a 28 inch barrel.
I would call Mc-millel custom rifles in phx AZ ask for Don haggerman, he is the expert and he is the man that builds all the lazzeroni's rifles for John Lazzeroni ( as far as all the macheining).
Mcmillen is also the first shop that built the 30-378 and the first Lazzeroni so they have the most expierance with these type of calibers.
Recoil is not bad I do have a muzzle break on both of mine
to help you with the recoil question my wife won't shoot her 300 wsm or her 7\08 remingtons anylonger and she is about 150 lbs she only wants to shoot the lazzeroni's. some weight helps but to much weight is to much.
Dom

Howdy Steelie:
I don't shoot a Lazzeroni but virgin valley has made several guns for me. I wouldn't consider anyone else, even though there are a lot of good custom shops out there. If you're thinking of building on an encore definetely go with virgin valley. I have a 6.5 ultramag they built in a 29" barrel. In the encore it's actually shorter than a 26" bolt gun. I would recommend staying away from any proprietary cartridge but that's just my preference. It's harder and much more expensive to buy reloaded ammo or brass. Have you priced lazzeroni ammo lately? Another thing to consider is barrel life on an overbore cartridge. It's not as critical in a single shot because you generally won't be shooting as much to heat up the barrel. Anyway good luck in your decision.

Steelie, I shoot the Patriot made by Savage. I just bought it this summer and haven't put 20 rounds through it yet. But it groups real tight and the kick isn't bad at all. I bought the die set and a couple boxes of brass when I bought mine because of how expensive the ammo is. Should last for a long time. I am very happy with my decision. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom