Anybody shooting the old 300 H&H?

Sparks Shooter

I just picked one up and am having fun with it. What a pleasure to load and shoot! I had to double-check my sizing die because the cases were cycling so smoothly. I'm shooting 175 Barnes LRX in front of RL-25 for an easy load that still leaves the 26"barrel at 2975 fps. With any luck, I'll pick up a bull elk tag this fall and this old beauty will head to the hills for the first time in over 63 years.

I had a chance to pick up a nice Remington 721 300 H&H at a buddy's pawn shop when I was a newly-wed in my early 20's and couldn't afford it. I've always wanted one since that time and finally got the opportunity 25 years later!

Let's hear all about your rifles, hunting experience, anything 300 H&H.-------SS

Finally got a pre 64 ".300 Magnum" that I've been drooling over ever since I first saw my grandfather's when I was a wee lad. Traded a guy a Leupold vx6 for it, it was his grandfather's, then his father's, then his. Almost felt bad taking it from him, almost ?.

First load was 180 Speer grand slam with a healthy dose of 7828ssc, 3125 fps ?.

Bought some 220 grain round nose, wanted an old school, mid range hammer load for it. Might just kill an elk with it this year.

I picked up the same gun. Mine is a little newer made in 1959 with "300 H&H Magnum" on the barrel. Absolute thing of beauty, still very functional, and surprisingly accurate. What a hammer, especially for its day.------SS

I've shot one for years......RL22 and Nosler 180 partitions...fast shilen barrel 3075fps....it is a hammer....leaves nothing but Hide and Horns.....

....and those cases feed like greased salami...

I picked up the same gun. Mine is a little newer made in 1959 with "300 H&H Magnum" on the barrel. Absolute thing of beauty, still very functional, and surprisingly accurate. What a hammer, especially for its day.------SS
70 or 721??

Model 70.
IMG_0713.JPG

oh yeah....I remember that post now....that original pad sill looks good....it didn't stand behind a door for 50 years....

I have an old Model 70 that was my grandfather's. I didn't realize it until a few years ago but it actually holds four rounds in the magazine.

Mines a little rougher than yours, it looks to have been hunted with quite a bit. Still shoots great. Doesn't bother me, I bought it to use, not as an investment.
I've already decided that this gun is for use and not investment. I fully plan on hunting it and enjoying every minute of it. When my kids finally get it, it probably wont be in such great shape.----SS

That rifle is a beauty Lhedrick1! I always thought that the H&H fit right between the '06 and Win Mag but, as I develop loads, it's looking much more like an equal to the Win Mag. My accuracy load is 175s at 2975fps. It's a very light load and I know I could push it to near 3100fps safely. The Win Mags I've had over the years and the one I currently have in the safe wont do much better if any.---SS
Beauty.JPG

Group.JPG

That rifle is a beauty Lhedrick1! I always thought that the H&H fit right between the '06 and Win Mag but, as I develop loads, it's looking much more like an equal to the Win Mag. My accuracy load is 175s at 2975fps. It's a very light load and I know I could push it to near 3100fps safely. The Win Mags I've had over the years and the one I currently have in the safe wont do much better if any.---SS
View attachment 73706
View attachment 73707

Nothing wrong with that! My load for the Win mag is 200 gr Woodleighs at 2990. 79 gr of H1000. I've never cronographed the H&H but for hunting purposes I don't think there would be any meaningful difference between the two.

About 20 years ago a buddy of mine brought out a beautiful 70 about like this one. He brought it out to shoot it and shot a great 4 shot group first 4 shots.....I picked up the H&H brass for him and they had magically been transformed into 300 weatherby cases.....

He was tickled pink that it had been rechambered, I was disappointed...

I read about how many H&H rifles were rechambered to Weatherby or other improved versions. Glad mine is still chambered for the original long sleek tapered beauty.

Speaking of the tapered case....I expected the cases to stretch much more than they have. I don't trim the H&H any more than a 300 Win, 270, 243, etc.---------SS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom