Anybody try paddle fishing?

justr_86

Long Time Member
After 3 years of trying I finally snagged one. 66.1 lbs!

IMG_20210504_091500_202.jpg

The Confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone rivers in North Dakota.
Aaah, OK. I was thinking I had some of one at an event put on by KOA in Florida. But I just researched my thought & discovered it was alligator gar. Still a neat catch regardfless.

Think i remember seeing one get caught on meateater. It had been hit by a prop and was half dead floating along the river. If i remember correctly they dont have bones and they pulled the spinal cord out of it and cut it into steaks. Dont quote me on that but it seemed pretty interesting.

Yes I got a pretty decent bag of meat. I'm not a huge fan of fish but I will be trying it. It's a pretty big deal up here. It's definitely not a sit back and relax kind of fishing! My dad also snagged one on Saturday.

IMG_20210504_091500_239.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

You gotta skim off the lateral line red meat from the big ol fillets.

They're good like a cross between halibut, and catfish.

But you gots take off the red meat.

I grew up in Eastern Montana and fished for them often. When I retired from the Marine Corps in 2015 took my wife and youngest son to get their first ones. Son turned 10 the day before. His was 48 and wife's was 66. My son's fish was tagged too.

paddlefish.jpg

Did you try to eat it......Ugggh nasty tasting fish the best I tried was fried and it was almost palatable. Snagging at it's best
DH53 did you cut all the red meat off? That's where the nasty taste comes from. Get all that off then soak in salt water for a few hours. My favorite recipe is beer battered and deep fried.

DH53 did you cut all the red meat off? That's where the nasty taste comes from. Get all that off then soak in salt water for a few hours. My favorite recipe is beer battered and deep fried.
Yes I tried it that way but it was still a little fishy for me and that is saying something as I eat fish about 4 - 5 times a week. Stripers are that way also get all the red meat off of them and then eat them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom