anyone every try a FOB

silverstatehunter

I was looking into fletching my own arrows to save some money and buy the arrows in bulk and came upon this FOB product. It looks really interesting, but I would love to see if someone has ever hunted with them. Here is a weblink to there site. I would love to hear a few reviews. Thanks

www.starrflight.com

I tried them last year. Your timing on the rest must be perfect. I blasted a few figuring this out. Not a big deal, but one more thing to think about. I figured I could work it out and not have to worry about it. They do shoot pretty good.
The nail in the coffin was stalking in thick stuff. I had called in a nice 6 point bull that came in silent. I figured he was a satalite bull as there were several elk moving up the ridge... Bottom line is when I went after them it was pretty thick and I was moving quick to keep up and I looked down and two of the FOBs had come off. Not cool. I never got a shot, and back tracked and found them. made me mad to think of potential issues. Took them all off and fletched up with 4"feathers...

The only real advantage to them is shooting large fixed blade heads in cross winds. I have no doubt that they do this very well. I would add that they have a dis advantage in spot and stock in brush and thick timber.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-09 AT 01:29PM (MST)[p]I think they are junk! here are the reasons why

I like to tune my arrows and having something that falls off all the time isn't going to work for me.

They also hit your face when you shoot. I don't want anything to contact my face or make me hold my face in a weird position to get the shot off.

They can hit your rest

they are loud

they look stupid

they look stupid

they are expensive and you destroy them all the time shooting at the same dot. I shoot a lot of 3d, field, pop up, and spot shoots. people hit your arrows if someone hits my feathers or plastic vanes I can replace them cheep when I get home. they will still shoot fine at the shoot.

if you are using the fobs you can replace them but you will be replacing them way more often and they are not cheep.

I found a photo of one of these bad boys.

a4200e43.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Thanks swbuckmaster. you completely changed my mind I think I will pass on the FOB. anything that hits my face while I am concentrating on that buck of a lifetime is a lously product. The one thing that really caught my attention with the FOB was that I can buy huge packs of Carbon shafts on Ebay for really cheap and it would cut back on the time to fletch all those arrows. But if it is a bad product then it is a waste of time anyways.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-09 AT 05:11PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-09 AT 02:39?PM (MST)

Hunt 1, I don't think that "one fool" you refer to (SWbuckmaster) in your deleted post #7 is completely ignorant about archery let alone some of his friends. Here's another fool that thinks they look stupid too! I'm not seeing too many(NONE) of these on arrows of top shooters in my area for some reason. Could it be they think they look stupid too or is it that there may be something to the arrow tuning issue? I personally don't care for the way they look and highly suspect that they are a fad. Like to see you shoot a few of them through a whisker biscut and let the fun begin even though I don't use one of those either. Why is it they can't be shot through all rests? If they were the holy grail shooters at the top levels would would be flocking to them to improve their scores? Don't see that happening yet? Why is that? Explain that to me as one fool who doesn't shoot them to another that must? One other thing tell me how much quieter they are when shooting at game because I've heard they are quite a bit louder than a vane or feathers is that true?

Actually, I think I called everybody that has their own opinion a fool, so don't go feeling special. That was a joke. I gave the guy a link that has more opinions (28 pages worth) on the subject both positive and negative than one individual.

To address your questions...I shoot a dropaway which is a requirement for the FOB. One of the problems associated with shooting the FOB's is that it will tighten your groups and cause you to "robinhood" frequently. Doesn't make sense to bust them up at a target shoot...aiming at the same spot. Besides I'm a hunter and could care less about trying to impress other shooters. To each their own. Standing behind the arrow you will hear noise (comparable to blazers), but that didn't seem to bother the deer I harvested in January spot and stalk style.

The FOB is just one more thing to worry about, wait until you are stalking the buck of a lifetime and look down to realize your FOB are missing because they snagged on a bush and came off. I would stick with a traditional fletching, plus you said you wanted to save money.

If it ain't broke I'm not going to switch. Besides I think they look awful and prefer the more traditional look of vanes. As to your link did you happen to notice that the majority of the users didn't shoot for any archery companies? The only people I've seen using them were the one's with the high handicaps in leagues and they ain't winning yet even with the handicap and their "new found FOB" accuracy. It is fun listening to them cry when you put a shaft thru one or watch them pick em up off the floor. I'm certainly not seeing guys shooting them and winning at 3d out here. Sorry hunt 1 but at this point they aren't going to convert me but I'm glad you like them and they work for you. They're also noisier than vanes in my opinion and that's another compromise I'm not willing to make when hunting. Like all things they'll probably evolve and get better but at this time they're certainly not an improvement over what I've been using for the last 30+ years.

I tested some.....and honestly, I saw no noticeable difference between them and good quality vanes applied correctly. They flew well, don't get me wrong....but not any better than what I was using.

I also experienced the issue of them touching my face at full draw. I had to slide them down further than I like to alleviate the issue......which changed the arrow's point of impact.

I also had a few come off the arrow when the arrow struck the target. No big deal I guess, as the arrow was already on the mark.......but if they came off that easy, I'm not sure I could trust that they wouldn't inadvertingly come off in the field.

When hunting with a compound, I try and keep it simple.......and fletched vanes/feathers work. As for time it takes to fletch arrows.......yup it does. But I'm one of those old fashion guys, I guess, that thoroughly enjoy fletching my own arrows. JMO

BOHNTR )))---------->

Sorry if it created a problem providing the link. Just wanted to give more opinions on the subject. Again, to each his own and I don't buy based on what the "professionals" use, but rather think for myself and shoot what's best for me.

I never used a kisser button, but the FOB does touch your face and will give you a consistent anchor point as such. I shoot gold tip xt hunters with the standard FOB's and never had one come off in flight or while just walking. I'm a western hunter (fixed blades only) and know the possibility of a longer shot compared to tree stand hunting and owe it to the animal to make sure I use the resources available to me harvest it respectfully.

BOHUNTR said it right...he tried them for himself, but in the end it wasn't for him. Just take the opportunity and shoot one for yourself. Don't be discouraged by anything just because one individual has a different experience.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-09 AT 10:34PM (MST)[p]I got a dozen of the bad boys rigged up just for you -Z-

they are going to cost you 24 pack of root beer and a big buck! lol
But hey you can always use them on the grouse, pheasants, or the short shot on archery golf.

they make a sound like pfffffffft

"they make a sound like pfffffffft"...

LMAO!! Last thing I heard make that noise kinda creeped me out man =/

To be completely serious on these FOB's...I don't see how anyone on earth other than the guy who invented them, and his mom, could think they are a great alternatative to any kind of blazer vanes, fletches, or feathers?? Seriously wth??

You can keep em Scott but I'll hook ya up with some "root beer" just for bein a nice guy and offering me such a great deal...and on the big buck...you don't need any help in that dept but if I happen tag out first I'll gladly help out any way I can!! BTW what region did you pick for the first part of the hunt??

~Z~

The best over the counter area in the state! Central baby

If I give out anymore info over the net random relatives and old school mates start showing up.

i had a few customers who who shot them, they really liked them and it took alot of shooting to get use to them touching your face and i put a spot of super glue on them to keep them popping off. They were having a really bad problem of exploding during snow storms here in the late archery hunts in idaho. Just something new and ill stick with my 2" vanes

swbuckmaster,

You forgot to mention that they look stupid....oh wait, you said that:)

They are incredibly loud! I had a friend who shot them over the winter, it souded like there was a rocket incoming.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom