Anyone in unit 1?

tmbr_hntr

Headed down for my sons archery elk hunt. Anyone there? Bulls going off? They have been going good for last few days in ID where I've been. Everything looks setup for a great hunt for him. Can't wait to hit the mts. We'll miss opening morning, but will be there for the rest of the season.

good advise from above, their over Labor Day weekend ... most/many waterholes dry !!! High country to low hold elk in this GREAT ELK UNIT, Good Luck
Bruce & SilverGrand

Seen a lot of(30+)bulls so far, but most have been small. Only one decent one. Not too sure what to expect as far as quality. Thought it would be better.
20200913_090749.jpg

I would love to hear how this hunt goes. I am a non resident and have been applying for this unit. I have 17 points and want to make the most of the hunt when I draw. Good Luck!!!

Still looking... We've probably;y looked at 100 bulls at this point with only around 6 being over 320" Did find one absolute monster yesterday, but he is staying 500 yards on private and not coming off. With only a few days left we have decided to lower the bar and try and kill one of the bulls we know where they are and have passed up already, but are only in the 300-320 range.

It's been a fun hunt since my son drew with 5 NR points, but back to the point above about 17 points, I think I'd be super disappointed if it took that many points to get a tag. I've been on many better for a fraction of that many points.

Just did a green score on a bull from there......real nice bull. Hunter said it seems like the prime rut is still a week or two out.

Rut just hit really hard yesterday. Herd bulls in area we've been hunting all season jumped up by 20-30". Bulls going nuts. Lots of close calls last 24hrs. Down to 1 day.

Was on a dirt road near the house just inside 1 tonight. Bulls were really worked up. Saw three bulls, best one was a about 340” net type bull. The muzzy hunters are going to have a good time, it appears.

1 is still My favorite unit. . Keep the negatives coming about it. Better for those that know it..........................BULL!

Remind me to tell you about the guys from Texas who went to Unit 1 to shoot a 400" bull.....I ran into them at Safeway in Springerville. They told me they passed on a 398" bull because he wasn't 400". I am not making that up!!!
:) I believe that.

Sorry for not following up... Went straight to WY on the 24th, shot a good general area bull and just got home.

The hunt did finally get really good the last 3 days. As said, the real herd bulls did finally show up. My son stuck to his goal and we had went after bulls in the true 340-370 range. Got really close a number of times, but we just ran out of time.

It was a fun hunt and he has no regrets. He drew it at 17 years old with 5 points. He went for broke.

Here is the little guy I shot in WY a few days later. Nothing like AZ, but also very different. If you want to read about hunting elk in Grizz country here is the story:

Attachments

• 20201003_045848 (1).jpg
    20201003_045848 (1).jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 173
Great write up on your Wyoming bull experience. Scary experience, you’re fortunate to have gotten out with only a scare of what could have happened. Thanks for sharing that.

By the way... Nice bull!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom