Anyone know when 2nd draw list will come out?

It will be after June 11 when the payments are due for the tags. Any that don’t get paid for go into the second draw.

I don't think the unpaid tags make it in time for second draw. Think they start to show up at leftover sale day. I'd expect the list any day now.

I was reading up on the second draw information page. And I see where they’re going to give the youth hunter’s first choice at any tags that are available. I like it that’s a great idea.??

I don't think the unpaid tags make it in time for second draw. Think they start to show up at leftover sale day. I'd expect the list any day now.
I’m still betting after the 11th…. You have to remember this is a draw. It requires application fees and qualifying licenses if the applicant doesn’t have one already. The unpaid for tags are going to be the most sought after ones. And they don’t want to lose out on that revenue. I could be wrong but they have five days in between the 11th and the 16th when the application period starts. I know it’s a weekend but when it comes to making money I’m betting they make it happen. ??

The unpaid for tags go on the first re-issue list they are not in the secondary draw
Well I got tired of guessing like everybody else. So I called Colorado Parks and wildlife just now. And the gal told me the list won’t be out till the 15th the day before the application period starts. And any unpaid for tags are supposed to go on the second draw list.. So take that for what it’s worth..??

The unpaid for tags go on the first re-issue list they are not in the secondary draw
Like brutus, I just spoke with a friend in licensing. This is what they told me:

"Any unpaid licenses that would have automatically gone to the Leftover Day list will be available in the secondary draw. Unpaid licenses for hunts that will be manually reissued (i.e. RFW and 5+ pts) will not be in the secondary draw and will go directly to manual reissue."

It will amout to a small handful. The returned tags are a larger number than the unpaid for tags. I'll still be surprised if the unpaid for tags make the 2nd draw. I've read a lot of things "they've said".

Yeah there is no way they will have them on there. They can barely get the reissued tags out before their respective seasons start. Heck I've seen lots of tags hit the list with only a day left in the season and you know most of those were turned in a month before the season started.

Well I got tired of guessing like everybody else. So I called Colorado Parks and wildlife just now. And the gal told me the list won’t be out till the 15th the day before the application period starts. And any unpaid for tags are supposed to go on the second draw list.. So take that for what it’s worth..??
Thanks for taking the time to make the call and to let us know.

Does one apply for the secondary draw the same was as the first? Neither one of my kids drew their deer tag this year, and if youth are given priority I’d like to put them in. Thanks for any help.

Does one apply for the secondary draw the same was as the first? Neither one of my kids drew their deer tag this year, and if youth are given priority I’d like to put them in. Thanks for any help.
From what I can tell the process is the same application fees, Qualifying license. But they don’t use any points and you can’t apply as a group. Here’s some more information if you haven’t seen it yet. https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Secondary-Draw.aspx

Anyone have any update on second draw. An earlier post stated the list would be posted the 15th. So far know list and applications start tomorrow. Anyone know what up?

Yeah I'm not sure how the application period opens tomorrow and there is no list of whats available. Maybe its a mystery draw just throw in a bunch of choices and hope one sticks?

Anyone have any update on second draw. An earlier post stated the list would be posted the 15th. So far know list and applications start tomorrow. Anyone know what up?
Well I just called Colorado Parks and wildlife. And the guy assures me the list will be out today. Sometime this afternoon and unpaid for licenses that required less than five preference points will be on that list..??

Is this how this draw works or am I missing something? Let's say there's one GMU XXX 3rd season deer tag on the list and on June 16 ten youth hunters apply for it. So the tag is not available for the adult applicants but CPW continues to accept adult apps at $7 and $9 a pop on that hunt code that has 0% draw odds.

Is this how this draw works or am I missing something? Let's say there's one GMU XXX 3rd season deer tag on the list and on June 16 ten youth hunters apply for it. So the tag is not available for the adult applicants but CPW continues to accept adult apps at $7 and $9 a pop on that hunt code that has 0% draw odds.
yep borderline theft in my opinion

I don't think it is. You should know how the draw system works if you're just throwing money at the draws without even understanding the process thats your own fault. they arent making anyone apply
How would you feel if someone sold you a raffle ticket but there was no raffle?
they should have the integrity to not sale chances for something you have no chance of getting.

How would you feel if someone sold you a raffle ticket but there was no raffle?
they should have the integrity to not sale chances for something you have no chance of getting.
No way to know for sure if there is no chance thats your responsibility to make that call

Yeah this new second draw is Beneficial to the youth hunters for sure. And I think that’s awesome myself. As far as throwing away your application fees. Looking at some of the tags and numbers it’s pretty obvious which ones are going to go to youth hunters. So only apply for something else that you have a chance at getting. It’s pretty simple. But it is a crap shoot. You just don’t know how many youth are out there that don’t have tags. ?

You can enter up to 4 choices when applying. If my first choice was a high-demand (unpaid re-issue) tag, I'd want to have something else listed as a lower choice, or otherwise would probably just save my time & money and not apply. Because youth applicants will take most of those with their first choices.

Guess I don’t see the difference in this and the regular draw. We don’t know who will put in with what preference, but we still put in. If we apply to the first draw with 5 points and it takes 6 to draw, then we had 0% chance of drawing that tag. Should they refund all apps that are kicked out because they dont have enough preference points? In this case it is still a “preference” issue. Just a different kind of preference. If no youths apply, you gotta shot. If they do, maybe not. “Ya pays your money and ya takes yer chances”.

Guess I don’t see the difference in this and the regular draw. We don’t know who will put in with what preference, but we still put in. If we apply to the first draw with 5 points and it takes 6 to draw, then we had 0% chance of drawing that tag. Should they refund all apps that are kicked out because they dont have enough preference points? In this case it is still a “preference” issue. Just a different kind of preference. If no youths apply, you gotta shot. If they do, maybe not. “Ya pays your money and ya takes yer chances”.
difference is you get something in return for your investment (preference point)

Does CPW define what the youth preference is? Is it simply, that if one tag is available and one youth applies, then all adult applicants have zero chance to draw?

If you don’t like it, don’t apply! It’s a given which tags are going to youth hunters. For instance, us adults have no chance at that 66 tag. Now some of the hunts with a lot more available tags, we have no idea how many youth will apply for them. I’ll be applying and don’t really expect to draw, but I bet I have a better chance here than I did with that Wyoming super tag.

Does CPW define what the youth preference is? Is it simply, that if one tag is available and one youth applies, then all adult applicants have zero chance to draw?
Yes. Below is from CPW website.

The new system provides preference for youth hunters. Youth hunters have 100% preference in the secondary draw. What does this mean? The secondary draw processes all youth application choices prior to processing adult choices. A hunt could be completely drawn by youth before the adult application stage of the draw.

The app fee is $7 boys, it's what a beer and tip costs at most breweries, and all we're gonna do is piss that $7 on the ground. I much preferred the unpaid tags going to leftover day for my own benefit, but this is gonna put smiles on some kids faces. And I'm OK with that.

The app fee is $7 boys, it's what a beer and tip costs at most breweries, and all we're gonna do is piss that $7 on the ground. I much preferred the unpaid tags going to leftover day for my own benefit, but this is gonna put smiles on some kids faces. And I'm OK with that.
Just think of it as a donation to CPW!

Dang it-my 2nd choice for elk shows 5 tags available. I did not get it and instead got my 3rd choice... Which is not that great a tag. But I have very little chance of returning my tag and getting one of the 5

With the regular draw there is draw odds history which tells us whether we have a chance or not. If a hunt code took 4 points in 2019 and 5 points in 2020 and a guy has 4 points or less, he's wasting his app. on that hunt code if he applies. In this secondary draw, we know how many tags but we don't know how many youth will apply. So do you roll the dice on a hunt code with only a few tags or play it safer and apply for a less desirable tag with more tags? My gut tells me this is a moot point anyways as any tag on the list that is there due to non-payment, will not make it out of the youth pool.

With the regular draw there is draw odds history which tells us whether we have a chance or not. If a hunt code took 4 points in 2019 and 5 points in 2020 and a guy has 4 points or less, he's wasting his app. on that hunt code if he applies. In this secondary draw, we know how many tags but we don't know how many youth will apply. So do you roll the dice on a hunt code with only a few tags or play it safer and apply for a less desirable tag with more tags? My gut tells me this is a moot point anyways as any tag on the list that is there due to non-payment, will not make it out of the youth pool.

But you still don’t know for sure. Just like you don’t know if any youths will be putting in for the hunt you want in the secondary drawing. YOU had your chance in the first draw. Just be satisfied with that and don’t put in for the secondary draw. Problem solved. ?

One thing that hasn’t been brought up is that people who put in for the first draw will only be out less than $10 to put in this time. Those that decide to jump in who didn’t put in for the first drawing will be out a LOT more because of the “qualifying license”

One thing that hasn’t been brought up is that people who put in for the first draw will only be out less than $10 to put in this time. Those that decide to jump in who didn’t put in for the first drawing will be out a LOT more because of the “qualifying license”

It's been brought up several times.

Is this a random draw or one that requires points. Do you lose your points if you draw in the leftover draw?

Gonna voice a somewhat unpopular opinion, but the 100% youth preference needs to stop. Keep it a straight lottery.

I would be glad if they just allowed youth to get their first choice. But not 2nd, 3rd, and 4th before we get a shot.

I am 100% pro youth for getting an edge on some tag opportunities. But I do agree that this situation seems a little unfair. If Colorado wants more youth involved , then offer some decent youth hunts for them in the normal draw.

When it comes to buck and bull tags in trophy areas, Youth have no advantage. I played that game for 8 years with my sons. They only have an advantage on doe and cow tags

They do in the second draw. That drawing included some returned trophy tags and they pretty much all went to youth.

Boo Hoo. Keep it youth preference. Heck, expand youth preference to the weekly reissue process.

No boo hoo here, but to Let a youth have 4 different choices to draw a tag that it takes more than 20 years to draw before anyone else gets a shot stretches what is fair.

No boo hoo here, but to Let a youth have 4 different choices to draw a tag that it takes more than 20 years to draw before anyone else gets a shot stretches what is fair.
The majority of those returned 20 year tags go to the next preference point holder in line and do not make it to the secondary draw. Also of course youth have no preference in the weekly reissue list first come first serve sales

True, but the key words in your statement is “the majority”. So it could happen. But, prob all of those were gone in first choice drawing anyway. ?

Last year was the first year the re-issues showed up in the secondary draw, the year before they weren't on there. Colorado sucks for youth tags compared to other western states so giving youth priority in the secondary draw really shouldn't be complained about. If Colorado would get their crap together and adjust the 65/35 units to 80/20 that are long over due they could put those tags in a youth draw and it wouldn't affect the draw odds at all.

As far as state managed resources go keep it lottery. Giving groups preference based on age, gender, race, seems like a slippery slope. Living in Co I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if they wanted to create other preference criteria, because there are not enough ( fill in the blank) hunters. I could see them creating more youth only hunts if they wanted to encourage opportunities for the kiddos but as it stands damn near every antlered second draw tag is a youth only hunt haha

As far as state managed resources go keep it lottery. Giving groups preference based on age, gender, race, seems like a slippery slope. Living in Co I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if they wanted to create other preference criteria, because there are not enough ( fill in the blank) hunters. I could see them creating more youth only hunts if they wanted to encourage opportunities for the kiddos but as it stands damn near every antlered second draw tag is a youth only hunt haha
I have heard a rumor of Female only tag/hunt. Don't know if its true but would not surprise me.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom